Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graeme smith to sign in the next few days

sashnash

Seagull in East London
Feb 26, 2009
Seagulls trying to sign Graeme Smith (rumour)

Brighton are in talks with Motherwell keeper Graeme Smith but face competition for his signature from Aberdeen...

Jim Gannon's now Motherwell boss :lolol:

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
But Gannon is after his Stockport goalkeeper (from the BBC)

"Motherwell boss Jim Gannon will make Stockport goalkeeper Owain Fon Williams his first transfer target. (The Sun)"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Got to feel really sorry for Stockport fans, we've had 3 of their players and now their ex manager is after another one and no doubt all the rest of their decent players about to be cherry picked, promotion contenders mid season to near relegation certainties next season I'd have thought, if they even survive.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Oh dear... another Kuipers versus the rest of the world debate.

I think nobody disagrees that we need competition in the GK spot. I think we also agree that even top class goalkeepers retire around 37 , even though a few go on further. As Kuipers is now in his 35th year we should be looking for someone who not only will give Kuipers a run for his money but may also be better because no matter what we think Kuipers has done in the past, he is not going to do it forever.

So really who starts the season on the bench is up to Slade but Smith looks the real deal and either for this year or next or the year after he looks a prospective No.1

Leave the rest to Mr Slade.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Oh dear... another Kuipers versus the rest of the world debate.

I think nobody disagrees that we need competition in the GK spot. I think we also agree that even top class goalkeepers retire around 37 , even though a few go on further. As Kuipers is now in his 35th year we should be looking for someone who not only will give Kuipers a run for his money but may also be better because no matter what we think Kuipers has done in the past, he is not going to do it forever.

So really who starts the season on the bench is up to Slade but Smith looks the real deal and either for this year or next or the year after he looks a prospective No.1

By now, you should know better than to post a reasonable and balanced opinion on a love/hate FDM thread...

:)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I just cant wait until we sign a keeper that pushes Kuipers out of the club, then all these stupid threads will stop.

Take it from someone who has trained keepers at a decent level, Henderson is a better keeper than Kuipers.

The reason Kuipers played 2nd fiddle to most other senior keepers we've had, is that surprise surpirse, he isn't actually that good. Brilliant shot stopper, but unfortuantely goalkeeping is about far more than just stopping shots.

The best Keepers don't make loads of saves each game. Sounds crazy, but those who have actually played the game, will know what that means.

Kuipers = Very good shot stopper
Very poor distribtuion
Very poor organisation
Poor at crosses
Poor attitude (when not number one)

In fact apart from his shot stopping, I see very little else he has as a keeper.

This is why every manager we have had, has tried to replace him.

This is why when he threw his toys out of the pram last time, no other league club, not one, was willing to sign him from us, despite him wanting to leave.

The bottom line is if Kuipers didn't have a contract for next season he'd be signing on down the dole office on Wednesday.

Hopefully he's played his last game for the club, and it seriously looks like his luck is going to run out under Slade... and about bloody time too.

What level did you coach at?

So, a goalkeeper who plays for our team, was a KEY MEMBER OF THE FIRST TEAM in our last 2 auto promo seasons, also contributed to our play-off winning season... was first choice last season, is not good enough in your eyes... so what?

He will prove himself again...

Hendo was clearly a worse keeper than Kuipers, with his CONSTANT mistakes, and we MUGGED PNE off...

As for his Eire caps; they clearly have zero strength in depth... it proves absolutely FCUK ALL...
:bigwave:

Dosser

Feb 22, 2009

Am a bit surprised that Buzz would come down to League One tbh, especially as both halves of Edinburgh divide are reportedly close to signing him. Stated recently that he wanted to play for a club capable of challenging the Old Firm.

He is certainly the real deal, and has been on the fringes of the Scotland setup for a while (for once we are not too badly off for keepers - hard to believe I know).

Is considered one of the best shot stoppers in the SPL, but does flap at the odd cross or four. Shouts like a woman, and used to kick like one too, but McGhee banished him to the weights room and his kicking became a real asset (although it is a bit squint from time to time). Like all keepers the boy is just mad - enough said.

Think there are some decent YouTube clips of a wonder save, and a penalty save from the European game v Nancy where he was simply outstanding.

Would be a fantastic signing for Brighton, and I believe he'd be starting sooner rather than later (and just for the record, I am a Kuipers fan).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
How does throwing your toys out of the pram and demanding a transfer but only ending up on loan in the division below show how good you are. We are not going to agree on Henderson. I thought he was a decent young keeper whose confidence was affected by the fact people like you jumped at the chance to have a go at him everytime he got anything slightly wrong. We could have had a real prospect on our hands but he was forced out by the minority of fans and their reaction to him (that day at Bournemouth sickened me and made me almost ashamed to support Brighton).

Sadly, judging by one or two comments, I can see the same thing happen with Graeme Smith (or anyone else) if he signs. Until Kuipers goes this will continue to happen so for that reason I won't be as gutted as some when Kuipers actually goes.

By the way, I notice you avoided my comment about Roberts being nicknamed Coco the Clown. Care to comment on how that supported him.

Understand this...

Hendo = poor
Roberts = good

That is why most people got fed up with Hendo's CONSISTENT poor displays and errors, but most were happy for Roberts to play ahead of Kuipers...

IF SMITH signs and plays as first choice ON MERIT... I, for one, will support him...

What p1sses me off is the CONSTANT drivel written on here about the FDM, who is an Albion legend...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He was so desperate to regain fitness that he was on loan at Grimsby Town who only just escaped relegation :)angry:). Chef does pull off some remarkable saves on occasion but what we need is a goalie who does it all the time.

So, Kuipers going on loan to a lower league club is an indication he is poor, but Hendo doing the same means the opposite! FFS! :rant::angry:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hull were in League 2 at the time were they not?

also i found this

Taylor also confirmed that whoever he signs will be playing second fiddle to his number 1 Boaz Myhill, and suggested that Kuipers would not be interested in such a role.

Taylor lie... they couldn't afford him (FDM)...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No its not as simple as that, and that comment proves you haven't got a f***ing clue what you are on about, and are indeed talking total bollocks.

He's kept getting new contrats due to a clause old Uncle Dick kept putting in contracts in the past. Play X amounts of games, and you'll get a new one. So the manager who were TRYING TO REPLACE HIM couldn't off load him, because a) no other team wanted him, and b) he was under contract.

Dean Wilkins even went as far as taking the number one shirt off him. He didn't want him here, but had no choice in the matter. We never had the budget to sign experienced keepers, all the time we had one, Knight wouldn't allow it, which is why all of Kuipers competetion were youngsters.

Hopefully this is going to change now, as we HAVE to sign a new keeper, and hopefully one that will spell the end of Kuipers time at the club, if for no other reason, then to stop people, who no idea what they are talking about, posting shit on here!

I'll ask again...what level did you coach at?

You seem to be so biased against Kuipers... you talk utter bollox... are you a BHA fan BTW? Do you support OUR players?

How do you explain Kuipers longevity at the club? Just the contract situation? Or do you think there might be more to it than that?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Kuipers had it in his contract that if he played x amount of games he would get a new one.

There really is little a manager can do if this is the case.

The manager could not play him, but he played!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why? You called Whing a prat for stalling on a new deal, but Kuipers handed in a transfer request when he was dropped...

As did 'Hendo the Magnificent'...

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Understand this...

Hendo = poor
Roberts = good

That is why most people got fed up with Hendo's CONSISTENT poor displays and errors, but most were happy for Roberts to play ahead of Kuipers...

IF SMITH signs and plays as first choice ON MERIT... I, for one, will support him...

What p1sses me off is the CONSTANT drivel written on here about the FDM, who is an Albion legend...

So, Kuipers going on loan to a lower league club is an indication he is poor, but Hendo doing the same means the opposite! FFS! :rant::angry:

Taylor lie... they couldn't afford him (FDM)...

I'll ask again...what level did you coach at?

You seem to be so biased against Kuipers... you talk utter bollox... are you a BHA fan BTW? Do you support OUR players?

How do you explain Kuipers longevity at the club? Just the contract situation? Or do you think there might be more to it than that?

The manager could not play him, but he played!

Ever get the feeling you're talking to yourself?

???

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Far enough, so what do they do?

Play the number two? A teenager with no experience? Most of the number two's Kuipers have had, have melted into non league, some far below conference standard.

It was Kuipers or no one.

The managers could not sign anyone else, has they had a fit keeper in Kuipers in the side, and Knight was never going to sign an experienced keeper.

The only time it happened, was with Henderson. A good young keeper come good.

Now someone may back me up here, but I have it from a very realiable source who used to be in the thick of things ie coaching staff, Dick Knight went up to Wayne Henderson at training on the first day he had signed permantly for the club, and told him he didn't want to sign him, and that he disn't want him here, and that the only reason he was here was because of the manager.

This is why I defend Henderson. He was a cracking young keeper, who had the crowd on his back, had Kuipers on his back, as well as the chairman.

And people wonder why he played like a nervous wreak sometimes. I was sad when Henderson left, but at the same time I was delighted for him when he went. It's just a shame injury has held him back.

Injury, and the fact he doesn't learn from his REPEATED errors...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
'This is why I defend Henderson. He was a cracking young keeper'

Have you been on the sauce ??

Where is this cracking young keeper now, prestons no 3

And as someone who lives in ireland i can tell you the irish fans reckon he was the worst keeper to put on the green shirt in the history of thier national team.

That, is the truth...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here