Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graeme smith to sign in the next few days

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Isn't the point here not what Kuipers used to be, but what he is now?

I don't think anyone's saying he hasn't been a fine servant in the past, but his best days are very clearly behind him, and I think it's entirely reasonable to get a new keeper in before that becomes a real issue, rather than waiting until it starts to cost us on a regular basis and then finding it's too late to get anyone else in.

Even Kuipers biggest fans cannot possibly argue that he's still at the peak of his powers.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Great thread.
Kuipers will still get the vote of most fans on here because he is an excelent goalkeeper for League One. Can't understand why stopping shots seems to be a crime for some supporters. And his kicking was exemplary last season after Paul Crichton sorted him out. So why hark back to before? Thank goodness we didn't have another pig headed manager insisting on not playing him when we needed someone to stop shots to keep us up. But for Kuipers, we would have gone down again like when Calamity Wayne took us down from the Championship.(although fairplay to Hart, Owusu & the rest who also did the biz). To all goalkeeping coaches & Chez-shotstopping wins matches,not big kicking!
:wozza:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

It's a shame our keyboard battle has been ended with a smiley. :down:

Edna, Michel Kuipers was on FIRE at the end of the season and for me, he rolled back the years and produced some of his best ever form. Ok, he was rubbish in the second half against Swindon, but I think that one half of football was more than balanced out by the performances in the rest of the matches, and at Millwall aswell. He's only 34 aswell is he not, he's quite young for a goalkeeper!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Great thread.
Kuipers will still get the vote of most fans on here because he is an excelent goalkeeper for League One. Can't understand why stopping shots seems to be a crime for some supporters. And his kicking was exemplary last season after Paul Crichton sorted him out. So why hark back to before? Thank goodness we didn't have another pig headed manager insisting on not playing him when we needed someone to stop shots to keep us up. But for Kuipers, we would have gone down again like when Calamity Wayne took us down from the Championship.(although fairplay to Hart, Owusu & the rest who also did the biz). To all goalkeeping coaches & Chez-shotstopping wins matches,not big kicking!

That makes no sense and if it did it I am certain it would be crap. Firstly, to blame Henderson for our relegation is a joke. Secondly, we stayed up at the end because we had a settled side and solid defence. Kuipers didn't have a great deal to do. Finally, Kuipers kicking improved slightly but has never been exemplary.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

In fairness to NE you've not properly explained why Kuipers has to play.

You talk about not bringing other keepers in, yet Henderson and Flinders came in.

You talk about not bringing in experienced keepers, henderson and Flinders lack of experience didn't stop them being picked ahead of Kuipers. (and in Henderson's case doesn't stop you insisting he's a better keeper than Kuipers)

So, why did McGhee not continue to pick these inexperienced young goal keepers ahead of Kuipers to ensure he didn't reach the number of games he needed for a contract renewal?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's a shame our keyboard battle has been ended with a smiley. :down:

Edna, Michel Kuipers was on FIRE at the end of the season and for me, he rolled back the years and produced some of his best ever form. Ok, he was rubbish in the second half against Swindon, but I think that one half of football was more than balanced out by the performances in the rest of the matches, and at Millwall aswell. He's only 34 aswell is he not, he's quite young for a goalkeeper!

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one then. He made a few saves, but that is his job. I am simply stating the obvious, that we need to plan ahead- and sign another keeper because sooner or later Kuipers will lose form or get injured.

If the new keeper happens to be better, then I for one will have absolutely no sentiments whatsoever about letting Kuipers play second fiddle. I want the best possible team out there, not an XI full of cult heroes from the past.

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham

:clap::clap: Spot on Ninja, although Michel does have the odd poor performance, which every keeper does, he more than makes up for it with his several top class performances a season. In my eyes, he is still more than capable of being our number 1 this season, and i'm sure will once again be influencial

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
:clap::clap: Spot on Ninja, although Michel does have the odd poor performance, which every keeper does, he more than makes up for it with his several top class performances a season. In my eyes, he is still more than capable of being our number 1 this season, and i'm sure will once again be influencial

Thank you. :thumbsup:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one then. He made a few saves, but that is his job. I am simply stating the obvious, that we need to plan ahead- and sign another keeper because sooner or later Kuipers will lose form or get injured.

If the new keeper happens to be better, then I for one will have absolutely no sentiments whatsoever about letting Kuipers play second fiddle. I want the best possible team out there, not an XI full of cult heroes from the past.

I agree we need a new goalkeeper, there's no question about that. But I don't like some of what people have been saying in this thread, Michel is still a very good goalkeeper. If he has to play #2 to someone for a while, so be it. He'll get back in the team, he always does.

Whoever plays for the Albion, I will support them. And I will always be a Michel Kuipers fan, and I will also always be a Micky Adams fan!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Erm, obviously they wanted him after he'd banged in the goals for us. I didn't say that, I said who wanted to sign him when we did? Just because noone else wanted him, doesn't mean he wasn't a good player. As history will support. :thumbsup:
You compared Kuipers to Zamora. You are now trying to confuse the issue. People wanted Zamora when they knew what he could do. They didn't want Kuipers. If an experienced Keeper comes along for free, and no one takes him, he is either paid more than he is worth. Or not good enough.

No, if he had the loyalty clause then fine... I personally think he deserves a loyalty clause! If any player plays 30odd games in a season, then I agree they deserve to be offered a new contract.
IMO no 3rd tier player who has already a contact is worth a loyalty clause. These should only be used to attract players. Hopefully now Dick Knight has gone, this ridiculaos situation will not arise again.

Besides, all those managers did then give him a contract, that's the truth because he's still here!
I think enough of us have covered that haven't we?

Kuipers played all 46 games in the league 2 seasons ago and we finished 7th, that was no accident. Our defence was solid, absolutely rock solid. We went to Forest and Leeds days after each other and didn't conceed to either. Kuipers not good enough for this league, no?
Kuiper was our goalkeepers that season. The was no competetion. Again already covered. Knight would not sign anyone else. Yes, Uncle Dick did meddle in team affairs.
For the last time, I say that there is a loan system. They could have signed a loan goalkeeper, if they REALLY didn't want him they didn't have to play him. They could have tried other people at the club, Sullivan for example. But they decided to play Kuipers, whatever the reason, they played him and he got new contracts. These are the facts, agree or not.
I think Ive answered this. I refer the right honourable gentlemen to the answer I gave some moments ago:)

Also, Dick Knight didn't pick the team and I'm sure he didn't tell the managers they weren't "allowed" to sign another goalkeeper! It's amazing to suggest such things.
Another referred answer I'm afraid. I can't prove anything on here, but as I said before, if you bump into old coaching staff around the town, or senior ex-pros from years back, they are all quite paly with either, and most know what went on. As them what Dick Knight allowed, or did not allow managers to do. You may be quite surprised with the answer. I beleive Mark McGhee and Mickey Adams are still spotted around town to this every day. Approach them. They will not bite!

Okay I didnt end it on a smilie, but we may have to continue this tomorrow.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Whoever plays for the Albion, I will support them.
That's the best things you've said all night, and probably the only thing I agree with you over.

But if we sign a new number one, barring injury to that said number one, Kuipers will be history, long before the end of the season. If Kuipers is number two come the end of September and you see his pram being pushed along, watch out, because the toys will be flying out of it:laugh:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Actually, Mr Burns, we won't. You've made the points you wanted to make, and I've made mine. We disagree on a lot of things, alot of what you said there makes me laugh and shake my head, and I'm sure alot of what I have said has had the same effect on you. Bloody good debate, I've enjoyed it. :thumbsup:

It's been fun buddy, I'm sure our paths shall cross again.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Actually, Mr Burns, we won't. You've made the points you wanted to make, and I've made mine. We disagree on a lot of things, alot of what you said there makes me laugh and shake my head, and I'm sure alot of what I have said has had the same effect on you. Bloody good debate, I've enjoyed it. :thumbsup:

We won't what?:p

But I would just say, keep an open mind on what went on under Dick Knight, and if you do see any of the ex managers coaches, explaying friends of coaches, do ask them to tell you want happened with Kuipers, Knight and Henderson. So long as they dont think you are a reporter, they can be quite chatty:thumbsup: (and no I'm not one, but I do know a fair few). After this I would be quite sure that your 'blinkers' will be removed:laugh::whisky::p

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing

Bloody good debate?

Fun?

Reading all that tosh?

Behave yourself boy!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We won't what?:p

But I would just say, keep an open mind on what went on under Dick Knight, and if you do see any of the ex managers coaches, explaying friends of coaches, do ask them to tell you want happened with Kuipers, Knight and Henderson. So long as they dont think you are a reporter, they can be quite chatty:thumbsup: (and no I'm not one, but I do know a fair few). After this I would be quite sure that your 'blinkers' will be removed:laugh::whisky::p

We won't continue this tomorrow. :thumbsup: I have ALOT of free time on a sunday, but not during the week. :down: Not anymore, anyway.

To be honest mate, what goes on behind the scenes is their own business. I'm not bothered about what went on, I'm only bothered by what happened on the pitch. And ultimately, Michel is still here. So *IF* Dick did step in to keep Michel here, his methods may have suspect but the result is the right one. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
We won't continue this tomorrow. :thumbsup: I have ALOT of free time on a sunday, but not during the week. :down: Not anymore, anyway.

To be honest mate, what goes on behind the scenes is their own business. I'm not bothered about what went on, I'm only bothered by what happened on the pitch. And ultimately, Michel is still here. So *IF* Dick did step in to keep Michel here, his methods may have suspect but the result is the right one. :thumbsup:

:cheers:
:thumbsup:Still with you mate-haven't the time to be such a mighty keyboard warrior, but keep up the defence of Michel. I'm a Brighton fan, so if someone better comes along, he will get my support. I just get fed up with the groundless criticism of Michel:albion2:.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Isn't criticising Michel for being a shot stopper a bit like someone criticising Glenn Murray for having a 1 in 2 goalscoring record?

I think Michel has big plusses and big minuses, he may be a bit of a bonkers keeper, but he is OUR bit of a bonkers keeper.

I heard that it was the Blooms who Michel was friendly with, rather than DK, and that is why he was always offered a contract, not that it is any of my business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here