Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Graeme smith to sign in the next few days

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
NE, give it a rest please.

Kuipers - a great servant to the club, but a flawed keeper who has had his best days.

99% of people would agree with this, stop embarrassing yourself by trying to claim that he is the best keeper in the world and has a squeaky clean history.

But he DID NOT claim he was/is the best keeper in the world...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Err. Right.

Firstly other people did want to sign Zamora. He left us!! Sure at the time he signed for us, they maybe didn't, but when they knew what he could do, he left.

When others saw when Kuipers could do, no one wanted him, so you are starting to clutch at straws with that comparison.

Ignorant is not out of order. You were completely ignorant to the reason why he kept getting new contracts. To say previous managers had all given him new deals is ignorant. You've admitted to didn't know that.

And finally as I said before. Kuipers is adequete keeper in league two or Conference, but he not at our level.

So what does a manager do? Play him, or pick a young keeper for the whole season, who would struggle to get in a decent county league side??

Or sign someone else on loan or permanently...

Or do what they did, play him because they knew he was a good goalie at L1/CCC level... to repeat, what level did you coach at?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You aint gonna give this up are ya.

DICK KNIGHT WOULD NOT ALLOW THE SIGNING OF A NUMBER ONE KEEPER. HIS VIEW WAS WE HAD ONE, AND THE MONEY WAS BETTER SPENT ELSEWHERE.

You do not sign experience keepers on loan for nothing. Clubs pay to loan experiecne players, unless they are being sent out to get games under their belts.

Knight did seem to be too involved in the playing side, but...

He was right about Kuipers being a good number 1, if that really was his opinion... there is NO WAY ALL those managers would just accept his decision if they truly believed Kuipers wasn't good enough...

Face the facts!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Isn't the point here not what Kuipers used to be, but what he is now?

I don't think anyone's saying he hasn't been a fine servant in the past, but his best days are very clearly behind him, and I think it's entirely reasonable to get a new keeper in before that becomes a real issue, rather than waiting until it starts to cost us on a regular basis and then finding it's too late to get anyone else in.

Even Kuipers biggest fans cannot possibly argue that he's still at the peak of his powers.

Still a good L1 keeper, as he showed at end of last season... he did have a few wobbles in that period BTW, but some great games too... I really hope we sign another experienced keeper too... just making a point...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That makes no sense and if it did it I am certain it would be crap. Firstly, to blame Henderson for our relegation is a joke. Secondly, we stayed up at the end because we had a settled side and solid defence. Kuipers didn't have a great deal to do. Finally, Kuipers kicking improved slightly but has never been exemplary.

Re-writes history... except for kicking bit...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Am a bit surprised that Buzz would come down to League One tbh, especially as both halves of Edinburgh divide are reportedly close to signing him. Stated recently that he wanted to play for a club capable of challenging the Old Firm.

He is certainly the real deal, and has been on the fringes of the Scotland setup for a while (for once we are not too badly off for keepers - hard to believe I know).

Is considered one of the best shot stoppers in the SPL, but does flap at the odd cross or four. Shouts like a woman, and used to kick like one too, but McGhee banished him to the weights room and his kicking became a real asset (although it is a bit squint from time to time). Like all keepers the boy is just mad - enough said.

Think there are some decent YouTube clips of a wonder save, and a penalty save from the European game v Nancy where he was simply outstanding.

Would be a fantastic signing for Brighton, and I believe he'd be starting sooner rather than later (and just for the record, I am a Kuipers fan).

Sounds in many ways like Kuipers, only younger... really hope we get him now! :albion2:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Really enjoyed that... where are the FDM-haters?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
It's a shame our keyboard battle has been ended with a smiley. :down:

Edna, Michel Kuipers was on FIRE at the end of the season and for me, he rolled back the years and produced some of his best ever form. Ok, he was rubbish in the second half against Swindon, but I think that one half of football was more than balanced out by the performances in the rest of the matches, and at Millwall aswell. He's only 34 aswell is he not, he's quite young for a goalkeeper!

Eh? Sorry I must disagree. FDM is a great man and a good shot stopper but last season was quite poor IMO. I sit in C block with a good view of the penalty area. He seemed a shadow of his former self- indeed I don't think he's truly recovered from the injury he sustained against (I think it was Nottingham Forest, was a while ago). He seemed glued to his line, always shafting the blame onto the defence when a goal was conceded and every time a cross came in I cringed.

I'll be overjoyed if we sign a new keeper and have real competition for that place and as said previously in this thread, if we sign a new decent keeper, I think that's it for Kuipers.

(P.S- one of my worst moments as a Brighton fan was when Henderson was in goal. We were losing, I can't remember the match, when a load of brighton "fans" went down to the hoarding near him and abused him till the end of the game.)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Spent some time looking over the Net and the its seems to be the same story being pilloried around. Much as I like the idea of Smith coming to us I think Aberdeen is more likely as its teaming up with McGhee again and not that much of a move.

Still, hoping and praying....

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Isn't criticising Michel for being a shot stopper a bit like someone criticising Glenn Murray for having a 1 in 2 goalscoring record?

No, its no good stopping shots, if you miss every cross, hence some scores from it and can't distribute the ball properly.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
It's a shame our keyboard battle has been ended with a smiley. :down:

Edna, Michel Kuipers was on FIRE at the end of the season and for me, he rolled back the years and produced some of his best ever form. Ok, he was rubbish in the second half against Swindon, but I think that one half of football was more than balanced out by the performances in the rest of the matches, and at Millwall aswell. He's only 34 aswell is he not, he's quite young for a goalkeeper!

But in reality, it is clear that since you have been adding your drivel to this board, you have been watching completely different games to the rest of us, making your take on things at best questionable, in fact irrelevant.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Still a good L1 keeper,

Only on a good day, which is the problem, if we are to move forward and become a better side, we need better than a "good L1 keeper" we need someone who is better than that.

Kuipers has been a good servant, at times very good, but mostly average.

the term "legend" is used all too frequently in my opinion, Ward, Zamora are Legends, To call Kuipers a legend is devaluring ward and Zamora's contributuon to the club.

Kuipers have been a very good servant, yes i agree, but this does not warrant being called a legend. he is not up there with them, not matter how long hes been with us.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But in reality, it is clear that since you have been adding your drivel to this board, you have been watching completely different games to the rest of us, making your take on things at best questionable, in fact irrelevant.

I hardly think that's fair. There are lots of people on here who believe Kuipers was better than Henderson, plenty of Kuipers fans on here who believe he has put in some good performances.

Were they really all watching a different game or is it simply that old cliche about it being a game of opinions?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Really enjoyed that... where are the FDM-haters?

You really don't get it do you. One or two may "hate" Kuipers but others just don't rave about him and believe he is perfect. What does annoy me (and others too judging by this thread) is the way anyone who dares to challenge the "legendary and loyal" Michel (who has demanded a transfer at least twice) is pilloried by the Kuipers mob and criticised for the slightest mistake. We are never going to agree on Henderson but even Roberts, who you admit was good, was often criticised by the Kuipers clan when he was here.

Personally I support any player who plays for Brighton and hope they succeed (even if I don't rate them). Can you say the same about Henderson?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Re-writes history... except for kicking bit...

How is it rewriting historry? Kuipers wasn't great last season. How many match winning saves did he honestly make.

Secondly, to blame Henderson (or any one player) for our relegation that season is a bit unrealistic. A number of the mistakes he supposedly made would have been blamed on defenders if it was Kuipers (just like people were blaming Virgo for the Luton goal).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here