Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Government Spending Review.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
48 hours away.

With the NHS supposedly ring fenced, Defence to 'only' suffer an 8% cut, and now "Ministers ........ claim schools will be protected from across-the-board cuts" just where are the Cuts coming?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That is bollocks....LEA school budgets are expected to be cut by anything up to 10%

that is from someone on the "inside"

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
How are these announcements being made? Is it like a budget speech?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
48 hours away.

With the NHS supposedly ring fenced, Defence to 'only' suffer an 8% cut, and now "Ministers ........ claim schools will be protected from across-the-board cuts" just where are the Cuts coming?

Tax relief withdrawn from Buy To let landlords.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
According to a leak I have seen spending on Higher Education is being cut by 79%.

If you have kids that are going to be 18 from 2012 onwards then they are either going to have to rely on rich parents or be up to their eyeballs in debt.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
According to a leak I have seen spending on Higher Education is being cut by 79%.

If you have kids that are going to be 18 from 2012 onwards then they are either going to have to rely on rich parents or be up to their eyeballs in debt.

it may be the same leak....LEA's to have their budgets cut by 10% and some fool had suggested that the shortfall would be made up by increasing council tax.

Like that is going to happen.

Next step is the abolishing of LEA's and fund schools centrally with all the inherrant problems that will cause

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
How are these announcements being made? Is it like a budget speech?

All announced in Parliament on weds. Most Govt departments will be hit by 25% cuts, with some bearing more. The NHS maybe ringfenced, but the Department of Health most defiantely isn't. With about a third (probably a lot more) posts to go.

Both my wife and i work in the same place, so its not a good time. Quite possibly go from two incomes to none in the matter of weeks. Got a small child to look after as well, so not good times.

What gets me is that they keep saying fair. Whats fair in myself and wife losing our job. I haven't contributed anything to this mess. Yet the big bankers who did still get their millions a year bonus and still will not lend to small companies and so creating more msiery for them.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That is bollocks....LEA school budgets are expected to be cut by anything up to 10%

put in the context of whats been trailed or feared with 20-30% talked about. now 10% doesnt look so harsh, and in the rigth areas, ie cutting waste and nice to have projects, we may not even notice it.

prepare to be underwhelmed by the impact of the cuts when delivered.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
put in the context of whats been trailed or feared with 20-30% talked about. now 10% doesnt look so harsh, and in the rigth areas, ie cutting waste and nice to have projects, we may not even notice it.

prepare to be underwhelmed by the impact of the cuts when delivered.

It all depends on who is implementing the cuts. Senior managers will ring fence their pet projects and favoured sons, and waste will continue. It will be indiscriminate cuts to front line services that will stick in the throat whilst white elephants will remain.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It all depends on who is implementing the cuts. Senior managers will ring fence their pet projects and favoured sons, and waste will continue. It will be indiscriminate cuts to front line services that will stick in the throat whilst white elephants will remain.

yes, it will stick in the throat if that is what happens. shall we wait and see though? it costs a lot of money to make civil servant/public sector redundant, while binning a project might cost nothing. I believe it is why departments were made to look for 40% cuts, to delve down in the nooks and cranies to find what can be ditched thats not core or front line.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I believe it is why departments were made to look for 40% cuts, to delve down in the nooks and cranies to find what can be ditched thats not core or front line.

You are assuming a degree of competence and objectivity in public sector management that I do not share.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
Should really follow in France's footsteps on this. pathetic that education and health the two most vital things to any society being cut, while useless defense projects are kept. tax the rich or kill the rich. problem solved.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I believe it is why departments were made to look for 40% cuts, to delve down in the nooks and cranies to find what can be ditched thats not core or front line.

I suspect one reason for departments being asked to look at up to 40% cuts, was partically a political move, so that when the cuts come in at anything under 40%, it is seen as a good thing. They're not stupid.

Of course, it is also possible that depts were asked to budget for 40% cuts across the board, so that when certain areas were ringfenced, the other departments obviously had to cut more, up to the 40% which they'd already planned for, bringing the average more in line with what is needed, somewhere in the 20%-25% range.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
IF the NHS has been ring fenced how come we are cutting back on everything, DRASTICALLY

Because it used to be that the NHS would get a big increase meaning they could do everything they were doing already and the new stuff. Now if they want to do new stuff they have to cut back on other things.

For other departments there will be virtually no new stuff and big cut backs on what they are doing already.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You are assuming a degree of competence and objectivity in public sector management that I do not share.

i know. im just hoping the ministers and other higher echelons of the deparments will push home the plan. i live in naive hope that something can be done to cut the excesses we've had in the past 10+ years with minimal impact on real services.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Because it used to be that the NHS would get a big increase meaning they could do everything they were doing already and the new stuff. Now if they want to do new stuff they have to cut back on other things.

For other departments there will be virtually no new stuff and big cut backs on what they are doing already.

Agreed, im just saying that the NHS is not immune to these cut backs despite waht people may think.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Ark Royal to be scrapped...........

The Ark Royal, launched in 1985, will be decommissioned almost immediately, rather than in 2014, as previously planned
The construction of two new aircraft carriers, HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales, will go ahead, as it would cost more to cancel the projects than proceed with them
The navy will lose 4,000 personnel and its surface fleet will be cut from 24 to 19
Some squadrons of RAF Tornado jets will be saved - although some air force bases will close
The Army will have to cut up to 7,000 or so personnel over the next five years, and lose 100 tanks and heavy artillery
The Ministry of Defence itself will face substantial cuts to its civilian staff
The Nimrod MRA4 recconnaissance plane is to be cancelled, the BBC understands

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here