Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Government offing £350 a month to host Ukrainian refugees.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I have a question on this

Has anyone been successful in finding people to take in ? A friend of mine has applied to take some families in. He owns a lot of properties and he has decided rather than rent some out for the next 12 months he is going to leave either 2 smaller 2 bedroom properties or one 4 bedroom property vacant. Then let Ukrainian Families move in rent free.

Does anyone know where there is most need ? - A larger property for a larger extended family or the two smaller 2 bedroom properties. He said the Local Government Offices have been dragging their heels finding families to ''Sponsor'' in fact he said it has been a nightmare and Local Councils have told him to apply direct to the Scottish Government in an effort to try and expedite the process.

Has he tried the Opora website? One of a few websites set up to allow people to match directly.I know a few that have done it through there. It takes a little time for visas etc and the house to be vetted.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Heard on the radio some hosts have had enough already and got rid.

I know you like to provoke things on here. But nobody "got rid". They are human beings and maybe they didnt get on with the sponsee like they thought they would or the sponsee didnt like the sponsor so asked to be moved. Most have been through some pretty traumatic times and there is no telling how it will affect them. Its not going to be easy being a host, but I bet its a lot harder being a refugee. Ive met a few now and most have been through things that you or I cannot comprehend.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I know you like to provoke things on here. But nobody "got rid". They are human beings and maybe they didnt get on with the sponsee like they thought they would or the sponsee didnt like the sponsor so asked to be moved. Most have been through some pretty traumatic times and there is no telling how it will affect them. Its not going to be easy being a host, but I bet its a lot harder being a refugee. Ive met a few now and most have been through things that you or I cannot comprehend.
Next time I will remember to rephrase things to satisfy the sensitive souls on here :facepalm:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
A sad reflection upon the world in which we reside.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61311046

As if these women and children hadn't gone through enough!

One whistleblower with knowledge of the official scheme told the BBC in some local authorities, as many as 30% of all registered would-be sponsors are single men over 40 - the majority of them offering to host single women in their 20s and 30s.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As if these women and children hadn't gone through enough!

Totally agree. Problem is on one hand the government has been blamed for delaying the process and on the other if checks aren't done properly you end up with a dangerous situation.

The problem with a DBS check (something I've had on a regular basis due to coaching youth footballers) is all it means is you haven't been caught and not that you're "safe".

I will add not all 40+ men are trying to take advantage. I am now a single man 54 years old, having lost my wife in January, and had considered offering. My adult daughter still lives at home and when any checks would be done this would become evident. However initially I would be counted in these statistics.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I have a question on this

Has anyone been successful in finding people to take in ? A friend of mine has applied to take some families in. He owns a lot of properties and he has decided rather than rent some out for the next 12 months he is going to leave either 2 smaller 2 bedroom properties or one 4 bedroom property vacant. Then let Ukrainian Families move in rent free.

Does anyone know where there is most need ? - A larger property for a larger extended family or the two smaller 2 bedroom properties. He said the Local Government Offices have been dragging their heels finding families to ''Sponsor'' in fact he said it has been a nightmare and Local Councils have told him to apply direct to the Scottish Government in an effort to try and expedite the process.

My partner's family up north have taken in Ukrainian families - across two households. I think they were lucky regarding the excessive red tape which has hindered so many 'volunteers'.

Regarding local authorities, it is not the role of Local Government to find sponsors. Sponsors do indeed have to apply to the Home Office (or the Scottish Home Office). The council's responsibilities are in making sure that the sponsor is a suitable person or family to host the refugees, through DBS checks, appropriate home etc., and then support - if required - on settling in.

However, as you can see from the replies above, resources and procedures aren't in place for them to do this adequately.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/17/homes-for-ukraine-refugees-being-left-homeless-uk

Inevitable. I know “any port in a storm” but this was always going to cause issues. With hosts thinking their house guests were going to stay in every night being “refugees” and not going to want to have a life, for example.

Plus most people are simply not qualified to help people suffering trauma and shock for indefinite periods of time. Or at all really.

And I’m sure there were the social media heroes who wanted to be seen to be stepping up but not put the work in. Or hadn’t thought it through.

I suppose it saved the Tory’s having to do anything to help. A spokesperson for the Levelling Up Committee has dismissed claims this is happening.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/17/homes-for-ukraine-refugees-being-left-homeless-uk

Inevitable. I know “any port in a storm” but this was always going to cause issues. With hosts thinking their house guests were going to stay in every night being “refugees” and not going to want to have a life, for example.

Plus most people are simply not qualified to help people suffering trauma and shock for indefinite periods of time. Or at all really.

And I’m sure there were the social media heroes who wanted to be seen to be stepping up but not put the work in. Or hadn’t thought it through.

I suppose it saved the Tory’s having to do anything to help. A spokesperson for the Levelling Up Committee has dismissed claims this is happening.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

I admit to being quite surprised by the number of hosts coming forward for two reasons. Firstly, suitability. I've not applied to home refugees, nor will I, for the simple reason that I have no spare bedrooms with a teenage son and tween daughter needing a room each, a mental eight month old puppy and a budget that only just makes ends meet month to month (luckily able to save a very small amount during lockdown which is now covering increased cost of living). Secondly, culture.

I would imagine that, as caring and liberal as I think of myself, I am far from alone in assessing what two or three complete strangers from another country thrown into that chaos would mean both in terms of finance and everyone's mental health and going **** no.

There are no doubt really generous people out there (like the landlord mentioned by Noo) who do have proper properties and the ability to donate them and others who can see no issue with giving a spare room for a few months while their guest sorts themselves out, but the vast majority of people in the UK are vastly unsuited to this sort of direct charity, especially if they are either doing it for the money or to look good down the pub or on Facebook.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here