Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Government offing £350 a month to host Ukrainian refugees.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Robert Rinder's family were killed in the Holocaust, with just his grandfather, Morris Malenicky, a survivor of both Schlieben and Theresienstadt concentration camps.

[tweet]1503656726670856196[/tweet]

It is red tape but its not by accident, its by design. They don't want to make it too easy for anyone to be able to locate a UK family with you room.

Its more important to say we have a world beating hospitality plan like no other....

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Registered interest in providing a room, and my wife has made contact through a facebook group with a young woman who has made her way to Poland. Just need the process to be laid out fully and find out exactly what hoops we and she have to jump through.

This sort of thing does really worry me. I'm sure you and your wife are very lovely and will do a brilliant job of looking after them, and fair play to you.

But, if this is how some of these situations are being arranged it is wide open for abuse, either from traffickers in the sex slave business or other criminal activity. Sadly there are a lot of bad people out there who will try and take advantage of this situation.

Will be very interested to hear what checks they carry out on you, will they do a home visit etc.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Would it not make more sense for refugees to be accommodated in the myriad of closed shops, decommissioned churches and surplus to requirement royal palaces where they could be properly looked after with medical support, counsellors etc? It is much easier to deliver these services where there is a significant population. They could then be protected against any potential exploitation and abuse. Would also mean them being in a community rather than being potentially isolated.

Of course, this predisposes that Councils are willing to take over the buildings, get kitchens and bathrooms installed, and get some stud walls up. The rest of us could then donate food, bedding, furniture etc.

Surely this would be a better way? And for that reason, it's not going to happen is it?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This sort of thing does really worry me. I'm sure you and your wife are very lovely and will do a brilliant job of looking after them, and fair play to you.

But, if this is how some of these situations are being arranged it is wide open for abuse, either from traffickers in the sex slave business or other criminal activity. Sadly there are a lot of bad people out there who will try and take advantage of this situation.

Will be very interested to hear what checks they carry out on you, will they do a home visit etc.

I will let you all know when we do,

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Of course, this predisposes that Councils are willing to take over the buildings, get kitchens and bathrooms installed, and get some stud walls up. The rest of us could then donate food, bedding, furniture etc.

Surely this would be a better way? And for that reason, it's not going to happen is it?

you've highlighted the reasons, there are obvious problem of the council having to take over and renovate many premises. not trivial to arrange even if there is a mechanisms for them to do so. councils have got wise to and dont like open ended commitments, because they look bad when the funding ends and the commitment gets cut.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just heard that since the scheme started yesterday over 100,000 Brits have applied to help :thumbsup:

Haven't heard how many visas yet since Gove claimed 300,000 yesterday and then, when questioned on the numbers, admitted it was 3,000

I was going to say makes you proud, but ???

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just heard that since the scheme started yesterday over 100,000 Brits have applied to help :thumbsup:

Haven't heard how many visas yet since Gove claimed 300,000 yesterday and then, when questioned on the numbers, admitted it was 3,000

I was going to say makes you proud, but ???

Presumably government is vetting everyone and pairing them with suitable families as we speak

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

:thumbsup: Fact of life. Including kids without parents making their way to homes across the globe.

Before spending a night in a home, there must be CRB and other checks of the hosts.

Last edited:

johanngull

Jul 8, 2015

What checks need to be done?
Those arriving will have met standard security checks. Sponsors will also be subject to checks.
Those in the sponsoring households will also be subject to security checks and may be subject to safeguarding checks too. Checks may be carried out on a rolling basis.
Your council will want to check that the accommodation you are offering is appropriate in the circumstances.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/homes-for-ukraine-scheme-frequently-asked-questions

Could be quite time consuming but no doubt sensible, there are some very bad people about. There are reports already at Ukraine borders of trafficking and children going missing due to the chaos. No need to add to that problem and unwittingly enable people being exploited.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Would it not make more sense for refugees to be accommodated in the myriad of closed shops, decommissioned churches and surplus to requirement royal palaces where they could be properly looked after with medical support, counsellors etc? It is much easier to deliver these services where there is a significant population. They could then be protected against any potential exploitation and abuse. Would also mean them being in a community rather than being potentially isolated.

Do up the Nightingale hospitals into temp studio flats would make some sense.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
The process by which Ukrainians can apply for a visa using this scheme doesnt actually start until friday. On a positive note, Ive been contacted by quite a few freinds about housing Ukrainian refugees.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I think caravan parks and mobile homes would work well. Comfy, dry, warm. Ukrainians can remain in communities with other Ukrainians.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well most MPs have 2 houses so that should mean over 700 now available. The Royals have several 'residences'.
See, if the wealthy do their bit, nobody else has to.

Also as Ukranians are only allowed Visas if they already have family here, doesn't it all depend on where their family lives?

Yeah, but the MPs have to pass the CRB checks first...

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
also the Afgans, and others. if all those applying make the point of offering to sponsor and house all the other refugees, we'd not have any refugee or immigrant problem.

i wonder how long until there is a court case to insist on equal treatment, cant see how one group can be favoured over another.

It can be done lawfully. The expectany is that Ukrianians will return home and this is a temporary settlement scheme. Will they be granted refugee status to entail 5 years Leave in the UK? No.

Discrimination on the basis of nationality is lawful.

A person from Pakistan or Nigeria needs a visa to travel to the UK for a holiday.

A person from Japan or the USA does not.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
On a positive note, wifes niece and her 10yo son arrived in Dublin today. Irish Republic authorities were amazing although transiting through Germany was a bit problematic. Tears of joy for a change.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have a question on this

Has anyone been successful in finding people to take in ? A friend of mine has applied to take some families in. He owns a lot of properties and he has decided rather than rent some out for the next 12 months he is going to leave either 2 smaller 2 bedroom properties or one 4 bedroom property vacant. Then let Ukrainian Families move in rent free.

Does anyone know where there is most need ? - A larger property for a larger extended family or the two smaller 2 bedroom properties. He said the Local Government Offices have been dragging their heels finding families to ''Sponsor'' in fact he said it has been a nightmare and Local Councils have told him to apply direct to the Scottish Government in an effort to try and expedite the process.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
In our village (in Somerset) we are expecting 53 Ukrainian refugees in the next few weeks. The process of matching hosts to refugees seems to have gone pretty well, albeit there are still a further six households who have been approved as hosts, but have yet to be matched.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here