Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gourmet food at the Amex

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is on here quicker than I thought. It's my Mum's business who are supplying the pies next year at the Amex. She sells them at her shop in Shoreham, I think most will be impressed by the quality of the pies but maybe I'm being biast.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The lady who makes them was on Radio Sussex earlier and also the catering manager, they said that the usual commercial pies have 40 -50% meat content but these are about 70% and the pastry didnt go soggy but stayed crisp. They come in BHA boxes and will be available in both the suites and the kiosks. They didnt say anything about people walking about selling snacks but then they wouldnt do that with hot pies I wouldnt think, ubnless they took small quantities at a time.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I made the assumption these 'hawker's would be selling booze but I guess they could sell snacks and fizzy pop inside the bowl.

That's what it says in the job advert

'The role includes serving food & drinks to the stands with backpacks and trays. Must be over 18 as you will be selling alcohol.'

Interesting as you are not allowed alcohol in the stands at football stadia.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought Norwich, with the Delia influence, baked their pies and pasties on site.

Regardless, it all sounds very promising.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
That's what it says in the job advert

'The role includes serving food & drinks to the stands with backpacks and trays. Must be over 18 as you will be selling alcohol.'

Interesting as you are not allowed alcohol in the stands at football stadia.

it'll obviously be on the concourse to save people having to queue up at catering facilities. they have them under the concourses at the o2 as well as in the stands

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
This is on here quicker than I thought. It's my Mum's business who are supplying the pies next year at the Amex. She sells them at her shop in Shoreham, I think most will be impressed by the quality of the pies but maybe I'm being biast.

Which shop is that? I'll have to try a few samples.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Are these pies any good?

Quite an impressive website, looks like a quality product. Must sample some very soon, already making me feel hungry

Didn't realise they were locally based. Should go down really well with a pint of two of 'H'.

May have to increase the supplies to The Amex.....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Higgidy have been in the 'gourmet pie' section of supermarket chiller cabinets for a year or two now, alongside Pieminister and others.

Never had one, but I think they're well regarded.

As I say - I had no idea they were local.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
On a slightly different note, I just noticed the club are recruiting for this job-
Stadium Hawker in Brighton - Apply Today!

409945804_a364b45cd3.jpg

Jaguar's earlobe!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
it was a rash decision to go via the way home from the cheltenham festival. hence the camera had no battery power and subsequently could not be used. i may as well take the opportunity to appologise for lack of updates for both huddersfield away and notts county, both games after which i drunkernly lost cameras

huddersfield i did not eat in the ground as i had a delightful ham roll from a working mens club just outside which subsequently caused me to miss kick off. notts county no food was taken either owing to lack of funds by that point

Your piano playing made up for all other issues in Huddersfield.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You must be proud.

As others have said this sounds very promising. Can I ask, any chance for a balti-pie? If your mother does not currently offer such a product, but wished to push this forward I will be willing to offer my services as a tester/taster. Furtehr more, I will do this for free. An act of altruism for the greater good, if you will.

I have a good CV: have eaten curries in most major cities in the UK, especially the Ladypool area of Birmingham where the balti is alleged to have been invented, as well as europe and further afield. Nas at The Ganges, Church Road, will serve as a reference and testiment to my ability and prowess in a Tandori restaurant.

Last edited:

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You must be proud.

As others have said this sounds very promising. Can I ask, any chance for a balti-pie? If your mother does not currently offer such a product, but wished to push this forward I will be willing to offer my services as a tester/taster. Furtehr more, I will do this for free. An act of altruism for the greater good, if you will.

I have a good CV: have eaten curries in most major cities in the UK, especially the Ladypool area of Birmingham where the balti is alleged to have been invented, as well as europe and further afield. Nas at The Ganges, Church Road, will serve as a reference and testiment to my ability and prowess in a Tandori restaurant.

She was interested when I told her about the Balti-pies. Problem being it isn't just her input to what pies to be stocked, she did however say she would try them in the shop to see how they go. I've never had one myself, but at the moment I sit as chief tester which I am also currently doing free of charge (I know, what a good son)

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Most of the supermarkets now sell forms of curry pies under different names and guises. We obviously now have a pie maker to compete with the one in Baker St Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here