Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] GOSBTS - No words onscreen today

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Words on the screen allow new people to join in, helps people who may need assistance due to memory or medical issues. It's surprising the club have instead decided to side with actual adults who are just embarrassed. I don't get it, far more embarrassing that the atmosphere is awful most weeks, why take away any help needed for people to join in?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Watched MoTD 2 this morning. They opened our match with the teams walking out, then cut to the KO. So no Sussex by the Sea on there any more. On reflection, I prefer our anthem while the teams come out, in particular forcing the opposing team to listen as they walk towards the pitch. A bit more intimidating than pre-kick off.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Watched MoTD 2 this morning. They opened our match with the teams walking out, then cut to the KO. So no Sussex by the Sea on there any more. On reflection, I prefer our anthem while the teams come out, in particular forcing the opposing team to listen as they walk towards the pitch. A bit more intimidating than pre-kick off.
I’d argue that Right Here Right Now is more intimidating and more upbeat than GOSBTS

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Unfortunately not! I thought it was a good compromise! No words on the screen for those who moan about them being there and words for those of us who need them

If only it was that easy for those of us that are unable to retain lyrics
Could they put them in the programme? Would that be a good compromise? Or hand out lyric sheets at the turnstiles for those who want them?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Could hear the Forest fans singing over it. Embarrassing all round.
I couldn't. It was pretty loud around me in the North and felt it was the best one so far.
Where were you sitting?

I heard the Forest singing their Mull of kintyre song immediately after we finished.
I thought it was a direct response, to how good our singing was..

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I couldn't. It was pretty loud around me in the North and felt it was the best one so far.
Where were you sitting?

I heard the Forest singing their Mull of kintyre song immediately after we finished.
I thought it was a direct response, to how good our singing was..
I’m in the North Shelf, I heard an undertone of Mull Kintyre whilst GOSBTS was being sang but it seemed to stop (almost like they gave up) it started again when it went quiet, which is a credit to the noise we generated

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I was sceptical and I do not think previous attempts improved things. Today, IMO, they got it spot on and it worked brilliantly. I am converted and I confidently think it is an improvement!! It felt louder than ever, and what a surprise we didn’t need the words. (Which is undeniably cringe.) I think we and the club did a good job. Forest were loud and they tried to out-sing us…we prevailed!
It sounded good on TV. And the new timing means it’s on TV and not when they cut to the adverts, which is probably good for our ‘global brand’.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You are moving the goal posts and equating all international fans/those whose English is not their first language with being non-supporters/club members.

You don’t support a Japanese team, nor are you a paid up member of one (afaik) so why would you expect them to put up the words to their club song in English for you if you happened to pay them a passing visit?

I was responding to your suggestion that Brighton & Hove Albion was just for ‘ English speaking Southerners’ who got ‘immersed in the Brighton culture’.

Narrow minded and not the reality of our fan base anymore - nor can we afford it to be if we want to stay competitive in the Premier League.

But all this is going off topic slightly- the point is, not everyone has the capacity to understand audio lyrics nor to retain them to longterm memory.

Leave the words up - just turn down the PA once the singing takes off.
I didn't say the club was just for English speaking Southerners. I said that we are a club based in Southern England and that this should be our identity and culture. If we have international fans then great. But I can't see Liverpool putting the words to YNWA on the screen to make it easier for a Chinese tourist to sing along. The Chinese tourists (as an example) come along to experience the Liverpool culture and Anfield atmosphere. They don't expect the club to adapt things for them!

It isn't narrow minded at all, and it's utter nonsense to say we can't afford to think like that if we want to stay competitive in the Premier League. We stay competitive in the Premier League due to the brilliant way Bloom runs the club, nothing to do with whether we have words on the screen for GOSBTS or not.

The fact is that GOSBTS was as good as it's ever been yesterday, with no words. If people really can't remember the words but are desperate to sing them, then it's not difficult to Google them and have them in front of them. I imagine we are talking about a tiny, tiny minority of people here.

I don't personally see someone coming from Japan once a season to see a game as a proper Brighton fan anyway. Yes it's brilliant that they do, and it's great that they spend £100 in the club shop. But they are basically Premier League football tourists. I used to go and watch Cadiz once or twice as a season as my Dad lived there. It was brilliant, I bought a shirt and followed them online etc. but I certainly wouldn't have seen myself as a proper fan, I was a football tourist. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I also certainly wouldn't have expected (or wanted) Cadiz to do anything at all with me in mind- it was going to support a club in another country with another culture that was the attraction of it!

This is all a bit of a pointless discussion anyway, as the club are clearly running a trial this season of changing things slightly, and none of us are going to be able to change that. I think it's going well.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Could hear the Forest fans singing over it. Embarrassing all round.
They sang a bit when the drum beat of SBTS first kicked in but were then were quickly drowned out. I sit on the half way line so get a pretty fair idea of the acoustics. Unless you sit next to the away fans. Thought yesterday worked well. Nothing embarrassing about it.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I didn't say the club was just for English speaking Southerners. I said that we are a club based in Southern England and that this should be our identity and culture. If we have international fans then great. But I can't see Liverpool putting the words to YNWA on the screen to make it easier for a Chinese tourist to sing along. The Chinese tourists (as an example) come along to experience the Liverpool culture and Anfield atmosphere. They don't expect the club to adapt things for them!

It isn't narrow minded at all, and it's utter nonsense to say we can't afford to think like that if we want to stay competitive in the Premier League. We stay competitive in the Premier League due to the brilliant way Bloom runs the club, nothing to do with whether we have words on the screen for GOSBTS or not.

The fact is that GOSBTS was as good as it's ever been yesterday, with no words. If people really can't remember the words but are desperate to sing them, then it's not difficult to Google them and have them in front of them. I imagine we are talking about a tiny, tiny minority of people here.

I don't personally see someone coming from Japan once a season to see a game as a proper Brighton fan anyway. Yes it's brilliant that they do, and it's great that they spend £100 in the club shop. But they are basically Premier League football tourists. I used to go and watch Cadiz once or twice as a season as my Dad lived there. It was brilliant, I bought a shirt and followed them online etc. but I certainly wouldn't have seen myself as a proper fan, I was a football tourist. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I also certainly wouldn't have expected (or wanted) Cadiz to do anything at all with me in mind- it was going to support a club in another country with another culture that was the attraction of it!

This is all a bit of a pointless discussion anyway, as the club are clearly running a trial this season of changing things slightly, and none of us are going to be able to change that. I think it's going well.
This 👌🏻

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Slightly off topic but sticking with the advertising neons around the pitch.
Most clubs show adverts for a betting company or a foriegn country as the teams come out.
Well done to the Albion who advertise the club as the teams come out.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I didn't say the club was just for English speaking Southerners. I said that we are a club based in Southern England and that this should be our identity and culture.
When I said when it comes to deciding best what works for our fans, it’s not all about “being English speaking Southerners”, you said of Brighton fans:
Well I'm sorry, but I think it absolutely should be. Apart from the white part. We are Brighton & Hove Albion and we are a football club based in Southern England... If other people want to come and get involved then fantastic, but they should want to immerse themselves in our culture, not the other way around!
Sounds like this might be a reflection of some broader political beliefs about immigrants which is probably why we don’t see eye to eye on this.
I don't personally see someone coming from Japan once a season to see a game as a proper Brighton fan anyway.

That again is an extreme example and stretching the point I was making about our Albion members who struggle for whatever reason to understand or retain the lyrics to GOSBTS

Your specific example aside - I actually don’t believe you have to attend Brighton games more than once a season to be a “proper fan” OR to submerse yourself in the culture of Sussex.

People emigrate, suffer financial hardships or just get too elderly to make the trip. Even some of our oldest supporters have never lived in Sussex or particularly interested in its culture.

We have fully paid up supporters all over the World and others with disabilities living right in Brighton as well as Brighton & Hove Albion supporting immigrants to the UK for whom English is not their first language and who may struggle to join in the singing without the words. So again, you are attempting to conflate every Brighton & Hove Albion member who does not have English as their first language, or has a short memory or only visits the Amex at once a year with Chinese visitors to the UK and therefore should fit in with what you want.

It isn’t just semantics to say that no Brighton fan is a “visitor“ at the Amex, wherever they come from in the world or however often, they are our home fans and I think the Club should make them feel welcome and included. The sad reality for the old nostalgic Goldstone fan base is we are not ’lille ole Brighton‘ playing town football the 2nd division anymore and this isn’t the 1980s - we are a Globally recognised Premier League Club playing in a Globally competitive football league in 2024 with an income dependent on global trade and international membership. Times have changed along with our inclusion policies too.

However, going on about Chinese fans who visit the Amex once a year is going off the point - which is not everyone of our paid up fans understands the audio language nor can learn or retain the lyrics regardless of whether they live in Sussex or not, that should be enough not to insist on a measure that excludes them..

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
When I said when it comes to deciding best what works for our fans, it’s not all about “being English speaking Southerners”, you said of Brighton fans:

Sounds like this might be a reflection of some broader political beliefs about immigrants which is probably why we don’t see eye to eye on this.

That again is an extreme example and stretching the point I was making about our Albion members who struggle for whatever reason to understand or retain the lyrics to GOSBTS

Your specific example aside - I actually don’t believe you have to attend Brighton games more than once a season to be a “proper fan” OR to submerse yourself in the culture of Sussex.

People emigrate, suffer financial hardships or just get too elderly to make the trip. Even some of our oldest supporters have never lived in Sussex or particularly interested in its culture.

We have fully paid up supporters all over the World and others with disabilities living right in Brighton as well as Brighton & Hove Albion supporting immigrants to the UK for whom English is not their first language and who may struggle to join in the singing without the words. So again, you are attempting to conflate every Brighton & Hove Albion member who does not have English as their first language, or has a short memory or only visits the Amex at once a year with Chinese visitors to the UK and therefore should fit in with what you want.

It isn’t just semantics to say that no Brighton fan is a “visitor“ at the Amex, wherever they come from in the world or however often, they are our home fans and I think the Club should make them feel welcome and included. The sad reality for the old nostalgic Goldstone fan base is we are not ’lille ole Brighton‘ playing town football the 2nd division anymore and this isn’t the 1980s - we are a Globally recognised Premier League Club playing in a Globally competitive football league in 2024 with an income dependent on global trade and international membership. Times have changed along with our inclusion policies too.

However, going on about Chinese fans who visit the Amex once a year is going off the point - which is not everyone of our paid up fans understands the audio language nor can learn or retain the lyrics regardless of whether they live in Sussex or not, that should be enough not to insist on a measure that excludes them..
Wow.

So firstly I'm accused of being a racist due to not saying we don't need the words on the screen to GOSBTS as they weren't there yesterday and it was the best one for ages.

Then...

Actually, can't be arsed. It's not important and I have too much to do in the real world to argue about it.

I must get back to posting hate speech on X about immigrants and watching Tommy Robinson documentaries.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
Words on the screen allow new people to join in, helps people who may need assistance due to memory or medical issues. It's surprising the club have instead decided to side with actual adults who are just embarrassed. I don't get it, far more embarrassing that the atmosphere is awful most weeks, why take away any help needed for people to join in?
If the club have decided to side with some who might feel embarrassed rather than consider that there might be some that rely on them, then I am really disappointed in the club. I thought BHA were better than that.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Congratulations to the campaigners who got rid of the words onscreen. Left me unable to join in until the chorus as I can't remember the words. Since nobody on here seems to be crowing about this little victory, I presume the 'makes us look tinpot' whingers didn't even notice. But there was certainly a muted response until the chorus today and I doubt I was the only one feeling a bit excluded. No sympathy expected. Even my family laugh that I can't remember lyrics. But what a shame for those it does affect. A truly silent minority.
You could put the lyrics in a note on your phone and sing along heartily

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
A precious gift to all those who need the words to SBTS...

p.s. SING LOUDER - DON'T CLAP

1000022907.jpg

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Wow.

So firstly I'm accused of being a racist due to not saying we don't need the words on the screen to GOSBTS as they weren't there yesterday and it was the best one for ages.

Then...

Actually, can't be arsed. It's not important and I have too much to do in the real world to argue about it.

I must get back to posting hate speech on X about immigrants and watching Tommy Robinson documentaries.
Wow right back.

i certainly did NOT call you a racist. I said our different attitudes to what we expect from non-English speaking Brighton fans probably reflects differences in our political views of immigration - ie in terms of you saying that people living in Brighton who do not have English as their first language should fit in with our Sussex culture not the other way round’ or ‘not part of our culture’ - I don’t believe that those who do not have English as a first language are automatically not therefore part of our culture. Just nuances and where we differ.

If you want to turn that into an accusation you are a racist that is up to you - it is not what I said and I am offended you think it was.

People can have differing attitudes towards immigration without being a racist - so Save the sarcasm for someone that finds it funny.

You have turned this whole debate between us into an outlandish discussion placing Chinese tourists who might visit the Amex once a year on one side of the argument and you and all “proper” Brighton fans on the other as a justification to keep the lyrics off the screens.

There are a lot of people for whatever reason that find learning lyrics and retaining them difficult. Many of which have been named above.

It is not unreasonable imo to suggest keeping the lyrics on the advertising pitchside boardings and off the big screens as a compromise and turning off the PA when people have started getting into the song ( after the first verse Or during the chorus.

Which is what I said initially so I’ll leave it at that. 👍

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here