Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] GOSBTS - No words onscreen today

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yep, Team 'Words on Screen' here as well. Like it or not we have plenty of tourists each match and if having the words on the screen means a bit more noise and a bit more inclusion then I'm all for it. Who cares if other fans may think it's a bit tinpot?

I don't mind GOSBTS's new home but then I think we need a new rousing singalong anthem to greet the players.
How about this one, but only when Georginio or Rutter are in the team?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Watched MoTD 2 this morning. They opened our match with the teams walking out, then cut to the KO. So no Sussex by the Sea on there any more. On reflection, I prefer our anthem while the teams come out, in particular forcing the opposing team to listen as they walk towards the pitch. A bit more intimidating than pre-kick off.
As a plastic who only watches on TV my opinion is probably worthless but I LOVE it when the TV shows the teams walking onto the pitch with GOSBTS blaring out. I love to sing along in my living room "Oh, we're going up and we'll win the cup"🤡🤡🤡🤡

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I heard the Forest fans singing all the way through GOSBTS, for what it's worth, and those who didn't were obviously in a different part of the ground to me.

That's not because the home fans weren't singing loud and proud. They absolutely were. But Forest brought along a vocal following, who'd been geed up by Hey Jude et al, and were always going to sing their Mull of Kintyre song at exactly the moment that they did, with or without our anthem belting out.

No change there, then.

You should have seen it at the Goldstone back in the 1970s in front of 12,000 yawning, sorry, adoring fans, me laddio.

If I fancied a quiet cigarette and plastic cup of Bovril on a Saturday afternoon, I knew just where to go. For a few bob I could lean against a stanchion in peace for the best part of 2 hours, contemplating the universe and all its magical wonders.

The Albion is not and never was renowned for a noisy passionate following. If it's tutting, you want, different story. ??? :wink:

I know it isn’t, but, my point is that it worked as the players came out and it doesn’t atm. Kudos to the club for trying.

May 15, 2022
Interesting comments regarding learning the words, to some people it is very difficult, I dont think I could recall the words to any song even after hearing it multiple times, and trying to learn would be like like learning a new language, it just doesn't come naturally like it does to most people and add up all those like myself it can make a difference.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Interesting comments regarding learning the words, to some people it is very difficult, I dont think I could recall the words to any song even after hearing it multiple times, and trying to learn would be like like learning a new language, it just doesn't come naturally like it does to most people and add up all those like myself it can make a difference.
I've learnt a lot of song texts but would never be able to do this one... its nice but its not very catchy.. at all.

HillBarnTillIDie

Jul 2, 2011
Could try some Metallica.
Not so many words to remember.
Should get the Uppers singing and jumping around.
It seems to work.

This is great for the Americans where everything is all about the show…

But personally, Its not what I want to see in the football this side of the pond though, and Im a little concerned that its the way English football is going. f

Light shows, Flame thrower, fireworks, half time mini concerts…. All a-load of nonsense

The crisp cold air, a warm pie, a pre match natter with the people next to me about the team, predictions and general life… Thats football.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Could try some Metallica.
Not so many words to remember.
Should get the Uppers singing and jumping around.
It seems to work.

Andy Samberg Dancing GIF by The Lonely Island

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But if we have the words on the screen, that time could be spent finding the key to nuclear fusion or peace in Israel/Palestine.

Just think of the opportunity cost.
Ludicrous point, well made :bowdown:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is great for the Americans where everything is all about the show…

But personally, Its not what I want to see in the football this side of the pond though, and Im a little concerned that its the way English football is going. f

Light shows, Flame thrower, fireworks, half time mini concerts…. All a-load of nonsense

The crisp cold air, a warm pie, a pre match natter with the people next to me about the team, predictions and general life… Thats football.
Well there you go, hurrying along the last of the summer and its gentle warmth, and for what?

Last of the summer wine by the sound of it. You, Compo and Cleggy, in overcoats slightly too thin. Tutting about players' long hair.

:wink:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Words on the advertising boards are great... look good, a useful reminder for the few who can't remember them, and also useful for the away fans to know what we are singing about.

Probably can't have them though, because the sponsors want their name emblazoned on TV screens etc...

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I’d argue that Right Here Right Now is more intimidating and more upbeat than GOSBTS
Not really one to sing along to though is it? Although remembering the lyrics may be less of a challenge...

Right Here, Right Now
Right here, right now
Right here, right now
Right here, right now
Right here, right now
Right here, right now
Right here, right now
Right here, right now
Waking up to find your love's not real