Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I did notice that the words had been left off the big screens. In fact, rather than my customary single glance at the screen to confirm that they are still there (accompanied by a tiny part of me dying), I actually glanced twice, to make sure that I wasn’t delusional and they had been taken down.

Instead of inward sighing, I felt a little smile break out.

The day they put the words to YNWA on the screens at Anfield, or Bubbles on the screen at WHU is the day we should have the words on the screen at the Amex. Its tinpot.

If people really can’t learn the words (or don’t even know that Dunk has a song to learn the words to*) then do feel free to Google them and write them down on a piece of paper.

*This may be hard to google, so here you go

From Withdean to Wembley (sometimes ‘the Dam’, sometimes ‘Roma’)
And everywhere we go
Blocking shots and scoring goals
Dunk is one of our own

Sometimes followed immediately by

Lewis Dunk, he’s one of our own…
Complaining about having lyrics on the screen and worrying it may look a 'bit tin pot' is a bit pathetic imo.

Guess you are one of those who is far to self conscious and concerned about how you think other club's fans will interpret it, when really who cares what they think, it shouldn't affect what we do.

It's probably an underlying trait that many have which helps to explain why we have fans who are a bit embarrassed to sing, as they are more worried about what others near them will think about it, than just getting on with it and it just detracts from the atmosphere.

If having the lyrics helps a few in the crowd to join in, great (especially as we may have fans there who may only get to a game or 2 a season, or may even be on their 1st ever visit)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Complaining about having lyrics on the screen and worrying it may look a 'bit tin pot' is a bit pathetic imo.

Guess you are one of those who is far to self conscious and concerned about how you think other club's fans will interpret it, when really who cares what they think, it shouldn't affect what we do.

It's probably an underlying trait that many have which helps to explain why we have fans who are a bit embarrassed to sing, as they are more worried about what others near them will think about it, than just getting on with it and it just detracts from the atmosphere.

If having the lyrics helps a few in the crowd to join in, great (especially as we may have fans there who may only get to a game or 2 a season, or may even be on their 1st ever visit)
Heartwarming to see your right and proper reminder to us all of the importance of inclusivity.

Perhaps the lyrics could be printed in Braille in the programme to assist our many occasional blind visitors?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Apologies for my harsh reply to your original post. So many people complain about the words being shown ("tin pot") I think in my sharp intake of breath I may have inhaled some of my wine, triggering a conniption fit :lolol:

(My son is a musician and maybe I'll ask him if he is prepared to put on some lessons on the art of lyric recall. I'm told that mnemonics, and pictoral visualisation can help. I'm sure "Now let your hearts be gay" can easily conjour up some memorable images :ohmy: :wink: )
In all seriousness, I'd love to know if there are simple ways to retain a lyric. I was actually a singer in a band that never left a rehearsal room in the Royal Albion for 3m and the lyrics never left my side. Fortunately the drummer and bass player both left the country in a hurry due to reasons that put neither of them in a good light, so I never had to put down the music sheets and go public. :ROFLMAO:

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Congratulations to the campaigners who got rid of the words onscreen. Left me unable to join in until the chorus as I can't remember the words. Since nobody on here seems to be crowing about this little victory, I presume the 'makes us look tinpot' whingers didn't even notice. But there was certainly a muted response until the chorus today and I doubt I was the only one feeling a bit excluded. No sympathy expected. Even my family laugh that I can't remember lyrics. But what a shame for those it does affect. A truly silent minority.
Anyone up for a GOSBTS pre-match run through in front of the fish and chip van before the next game? I’ll bring print outs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In all seriousness, I'd love to know if there are simple ways to retain a lyric. I was actually a singer in a band that never left a rehearsal room in the Royal Albion for 3m and the lyrics never left my side. Fortunately the drummer and bass player both left the country in a hurry due to reasons that put neither of them in a good light, so I never had to put down the music sheets and go public. :ROFLMAO:
I too was a singer in a band (rehearsing in the united reformed church hall in Wivelsfield) in the early 70s.

As Steve McManamanaman might have said, I'm not sure the band's impact was favoured by my remembering the lyrics, to be very honest.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Gooooood old sussss-sss-basee
Gooooood old sussss-sss—basee

Is how it always sounds on television AND at matches, except more drowned out by clapping
Have you arrived back safely from the Racecourse Ground? Looks like we need to win the replay to progress to the next round.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
New style is bollocks. Don't get it at all, removes our one tradition and chance to build atmosphere.
You mean....our legendary atmosphere.....has been destroyed?

I am distraught.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I liked it today. I’m converted.

I feel for the tiny minority that can’t learn the words, but it’s better without them on the screen.

Actually I don’t feel for them really. There are things that all of us can’t do. Deal with it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Atmosphere this seasons so far, fwiw, has been crap bar Utd at home.
No change there, then.

You should have seen it at the Goldstone back in the 1970s in front of 12,000 yawning, sorry, adoring fans, me laddio.

If I fancied a quiet cigarette and plastic cup of Bovril on a Saturday afternoon, I knew just where to go. For a few bob I could lean against a stanchion in peace for the best part of 2 hours, contemplating the universe and all its magical wonders.

The Albion is not and never was renowned for a noisy passionate following. If it's tutting, you want, different story. ??? :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here