Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordons gaffe

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tom NOT just "you" Labour voters were shocked.

However there are still large "swathes" of labour voters who are blind enough and in there own way biggoted enough to ignore this little blunder. As RED runs through there blood and I would put good money on the fact that, that woman will still vote labour. And do you know why because of blind faith in the fact they think labour is a working class party.................... :shrug:

Never said I wouldn't still be voting Labour... :wink:

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
f***ed by this administration

yes yes ........youre right all other european and world economies are in great shape, its just ours thats f***ed get real, anyway it was thatcher that created the laissez faire deregulated modern freemarket british economy that is so f***ed

Thatcher didn't say:

"In 2003, just at the time of a previous Mansion House speech, the Worldcom accounting scandal broke. And I will be honest with you, many who advised me including not a few newspapers, favoured a regulatory crackdown.

I believe that we were right not to go down that road which in the United States led to Sarbannes-Oxley, and we were right to build upon our light touch system through the leadership of Sir Callum McCarthy - fair, proportionate, predictable and increasingly risk based. I know Sir Callum is committed to reducing regulatory administrative burdens and the National Audit Office will now look at the efficiency and value for money of our system.

Let me say I see no case for a European single regulator and will continue to reject such a proposal, just as we will resist the new and unnecessary proposals to harmonisation corporate taxation in Europe"

Yep Gordon Brown did.................Mansion House speech 2006.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At your ''performing arts workshop'' maybe :lolol:

All you need to do it add the Labour and Liberal voters together, and see that they total many more than the Tories. Even an uneducated piece of cannon fodder like yourself can probably work this one out.

Remember, there is a glass of champagne waiting for you when Cameron loses.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
The look on that woman's face when she was told what he said is the reaction of huge numbers of us Labour voters :ohmy:

Can't believe he's f***ed up quite that badly. No way way back from that one no matter how they try and smoothe things over, and large swathes of the Labour vote have been alienated at a stroke. Ridiculous own goal :nono:

Have to agree wholeheartedly.

Mind you Prescott was deputy PM when he thumped that sheep shagger with the mullet a few ago, and his popularity went up.

Thatcher ordered the sinking of the Belgrano and managed to win with a landslide, so you never know.

Maybe Cameron will score an own goal too, if he ever announces a single policy.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Never said I wouldn't still be voting Labour... :wink:

Ahhhhh just like the offended lady eh :shrug:

If insulting dye in the wool labour voters, leading a country into a dubious war, leading the country into econimic melt down is not enough...Just what does this goverment have to do to you people before you wake up :shrug:

Still could be worse i guess, he could have just let out a loud fart and said there goes rochdale :thumbsup:

gull-able

Banned
Jan 21, 2009
Thatcher didn't say:

"In 2003, just at the time of a previous Mansion House speech, the Worldcom accounting scandal broke. And I will be honest with you, many who advised me including not a few newspapers, favoured a regulatory crackdown.

I believe that we were right not to go down that road which in the United States led to Sarbannes-Oxley, and we were right to build upon our light touch system through the leadership of Sir Callum McCarthy - fair, proportionate, predictable and increasingly risk based. I know Sir Callum is committed to reducing regulatory administrative burdens and the National Audit Office will now look at the efficiency and value for money of our system.

Let me say I see no case for a European single regulator and will continue to reject such a proposal, just as we will resist the new and unnecessary proposals to harmonisation corporate taxation in Europe"

Yep Gordon Brown did.................Mansion House speech 2006.

I never said that gordon didnt play the system, he just didnt create, lets be honest here we have had boom and bust economics for over thirty years now.
So you can attack labour on a multitude of issues, but any tory that suggests that we would be any better off now had they been in power is deluded.
The boom and bust of modern economic deregulated policy means that we would be just as f***ed now whoever was in government. Why ? because for the last 30 years we havent governed the markets they have governed us, and all political parties in all the major european countries have allowed this to happen.

So the real question is who can get us on the road to another boom time

the answer - any party will do it

What we really need is some leaders that want to change this cycle, but that wont happen because they are scared of the markets.

i say vote 'The markets' next week as they already govern us anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
However there are still large "swathes" of labour voters who are blind enough and in there own way biggoted enough to ignore this little blunder.

i think thats overlooking that its always been more difficult to get the Labour vote out. It will make people sit at home. and i'd put money on that woman voting Liberal.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
i think thats overlooking that its always been more difficult to get the Labour vote out. It will make people sit at home. and i'd put money on that woman voting Liberal.

You maybe right, but having lived and worked in places like rochdale,st helens, wigan there all labour 90% of people blindly support them thinking labour is working class,and as you say they may not all go out and vote if they dont agree, but there is no opposition for labour up there. If that woman votes Liberal after expressing concerns on immigration your optimistic. People who vote labour in working class areas have more in common with a BNP point of view than tory or Liberal in my experiance of the north.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Ahhhhh just like the offended lady eh :shrug:

If insulting dye in the wool labour voters, leading a country into a dubious war, leading the country into econimic melt down is not enough...

History shows us that both parties have led us into dubious wars & recession.

Still could be worse i guess, he could have just let out a loud fart and said there goes rochdale :thumbsup:

If only.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I never said that gordon didnt play the system, he just didnt create, lets be honest here we have had boom and bust economics for over thirty years now.
So you can attack labour on a multitude of issues, but any tory that suggests that we would be any better off now had they been in power is deluded.
The boom and bust of modern economic deregulated policy means that we would be just as f***ed now whoever was in government. Why ? because for the last 30 years we havent governed the markets they have governed us, and all political parties in all the major european countries have allowed this to happen.

What we really need is some leaders that want to change this cycle, but that wont happen because they are scared of the markets.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say to be honest.

13 years of Labour and the country has changed beyond recognition and in my view not for the better.

This whole episode is symptomatic of how the political class treat the voting public in this country, and in my view Labours worst legacy is the utter contempt with which they treat their natural core supporters.

I doubt you will see it that way but my Dad who is 79 year old Labour man feels as disinfranchised as Gillian Duffy was today..............they are not alone.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London

This is a vague and weak argument and factually incorrect.

The government’s economic responsibility is to manage 1) fiscal policy (tax/expenditure), 2) monetary policy (supply of money) and 3) regulatory policy. As far as I can see, they mis-managed two of these extremely badly

1) Fiscal Policy - Brown introduced huge spending increases, some of which were necessary – particularly in hospitals - but the profligate spending from Labour’s second term onwards continued unabandoned. Brown did not budget at all for any economic downturn, using ridiculously misguided models to support his expenditure. Government debt now stands at £950.4 BILLION. 10% of all tax revenue now goes on paying off the interest on government debt. These figures are terrifying.

You talk of boom and bust. It’s no wonder that Brown spent so recklessly as he was proclaiming as recently as March 2007 that "we will never return to the old boom and bust." This demonstrates an astonishing level of ignorance. He was so pleased with himself that he also said in 2007 to some of the banking communities’ more influencial young ‘stars’ “I congratulate you on these remarkable achievements, an era that history will record as the beginning of a new golden age for the City of London ... I believe it will be said of this age, the first decades of the 21st century, that out of the greatest restructuring of the global economy, perhaps even greater than the industrial revolution, a new world order was created." I wonder if those attending knew then how hopelessly out of his depth that quote makes him sound now. I bet many of them did but didn’t care as they were waltzing off into the sunset with vast bonuses enjoying the fruits of the de-regulated landscape.

2) Monetary policy – not familiar enough with this to make an informed opinion.

3) Regulatory policy - Actually Brown was instrumental in creating this "market" you describe. He personally set up the FSA responsible for regulating the banking and financial services systems in 1997. He deliberately implemented a “light touch” system sycophantically following Alan Greenspan’s model in the US at the Fed (which subsequently oversaw, in 2001, the collapse of Enron). The FSA’s leadership changed hands between former senior bankers thereby effectively becoming a self-regulatory system. Not only this but recently in enquiries, a former chairman of the FSA said that he and the FSA came under pressure from Brown and his advisors not to interfere in the banks’ activities. Ambivalent cronyism was rife and enabled the banks to re-package and trade loans and mortgages and propel continued lending by turning the mortgage issuers into mere brokers who had no risk and who simply passed the parcel. The debt-financed consumerism that resulted was the foundation on which Brown built his reputation. It is not one that will stand the test of time.

I haven’t even mentioned the tax-payer funded bailouts, the facts that I’m not sure public sector pensions are even within those debt figures and the hugely increased gulf between rich and poor under this labour government.

All of his policies appear to have been motivated by his greed for money and for spending it regardless of the consequences. His sale of well over half the country’s gold reserves at the bottom of the market at a loss to the tax payer of £4bn is an example of this (need money NOW).

I really find it staggering that people continue to attempt to dismiss his belligerent ineptitude as misfortune.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You maybe right, but having lived and worked in places like rochdale,st helens, wigan there all labour 90% of people blindly support them thinking labour is working class,and as you say they may not all go out and vote if they dont agree, but there is no opposition for labour up there. If that woman votes Liberal after expressing concerns on immigration your optimistic. People who vote labour in working class areas have more in common with a BNP point of view than tory or Liberal in my experiance of the north.

The results in Rochdale at the last election were
Paul Rowen (Liberal) 16787
Lorna Fitzimmons (Labour) 16345
Khalid Hussein (Con) 4270
Derek Adams (BNP) 1773

That's why Labour were targetting them this time around and Gordy has blown it bigtime. Rochdale will return a Liberal.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Well - it is something a lot of us do - but we are not running for Prime Minister. It looked like something and nothing to me - but added to the bigger picture it gives you more of an insight into the man - particularly looking for someone to blame instead of simply handling it better.

Yep - they have lost that one. But probably would have done anyway.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Sadly for Brown he can't fob this off as unlucky. If you try to exploit the media system to your own advantage (he was happy for the mike to pick up all his rhetoric whilst he was talking at the old lady - and he wasn't having a conversation, he was just spouting prepared answers no matter what she said) then you have to be prepared for it to bite you on the arse. If you play the game, play it well - and making sure the mike is off is part of that manipulation and Labout got it wrong.

You have hit the nail on the head!

To call her bigoted was OTT, but his real failing, for me, was to say that he shouldn't have had this woman put in front of him. What?

A staunch Labour supporter who had a couple of issues she wanted to put to him...should have been manna from heaven for him.

Instead he didn't really listen to her and just trotted out the soundbites his spin team had made him learn by heart in the morning. He could so easily have answered her with reasoned comments that she would have accepted and they would have both gone away happy.

In football terms he had a simple penalty kick with no keeper in the opposition net, but turned round, ran back with the ball towards his own penalty area, and smashed a 30-yard screamer past his own keeper, Peter Mandelson.

D

Deleted member 2719

Surely anyone who was voting Labour couldn't put across against his name after this guy has shown his true colours, after all there is no disputing what a orrible man he is now.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
All you need to do it add the Labour and Liberal voters together, and see that they total many more than the Tories. Even an uneducated piece of cannon fodder like yourself can probably work this one out.

Remember, there is a glass of champagne waiting for you when Cameron loses.
That's the second time you've made a distasteful remark about me being an ex serviceman, the first time you askd if id been brain damaged due to a bomb, and now you're referring to me as 'cannon fodder' ,too many young blokes are losing their lives in afghanistan for me to tolerate that phrase, i do know people who know you , and unless an apology is forthcoming i'm going to make sure i meet you face to face very soon and put you through a little piece of re=education, i await your apology.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What shocked me the most about this was afterwards when the Labour Party said that he was letting off steam after a "difficult conversation".

If a difficult conversation is having one of your own supporters asking you about your own job, then he is clearly not in the correct job. You can only imagine what he may say to foreign leaders during what I would think are far more difficult conversations.

Will be a very sad state of affairs if he is still PM at the end of next week.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's the second time you've made a distasteful remark about me being an ex serviceman, the first time you askd if id been brain damaged due to a bomb, and now you're referring to me as 'cannon fodder' ,too many young blokes are losing their lives in afghanistan for me to tolerate that phrase, i do know people who know you , and unless an apology is forthcoming i'm going to make sure i meet you face to face very soon and put you through a little piece of re=education, i await your apology.

I admit I did overstep the line with a previous reference about your military life, and I felt it warranted an apology. On reflection I felt my remark was distasteful, so I apologised.

But, Afghanistan does not mean that all military references are now out of bounds does it? Cannon fodder, slighty derogatory, and implies you're dim and not one of the armies greater assets. What's the big deal?

I will also suggest it is distasteful to use the lives of 'young blokes' when trying to further your arguement with me. Your link is tenuous, and what I wrote has nothing to do with them...but everything to do with you.

Consequently an apology will not be forthcoming.

I suggest you get off your high horse and shut the f*** up for once.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I admit I did overstep the line with a previous reference about your military life, and I felt it warranted an apology. On reflection I felt my remark was distasteful, so I apologised.

But, Afghanistan does not mean that all military references are now out of bounds does it? Cannon fodder, slighty derogatory, and implies you're dim and not one of the armies greater assets. What's the big deal?

I will also suggest it is distasteful to use the lives of 'young blokes' when trying to further your arguement with me. Your link is tenuous, and what I wrote has nothing to do with them...but everything to do with you.

Consequently an apology will not be forthcoming.

I suggest you get off your high horse and shut the f*** up for once.
ok ,we will discuss it face to face when we eventually meet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here