Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good to see Gus knows how to control his players

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Yes, because all the top managers criticise their players publicly and let everyone know what their punishments are. :facepalm:

There is a big difference between a top manager and Poyet! Most importantly, they know when to keep their mouths shut.

As you well know, there is a big difference between defending players like Poyet did, and making a "no comment" type statement.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There is a big difference between a top manager and Poyet! Most importantly, they know when to keep their mouths shut.

As you well know, there is a big difference between defending players like Poyet did, and making a "no comment" type statement.

I don't quite see how you can see he defended him. As far as I'm concerned Gus is acknowledging the mistake, but understands it. You don't know what was said or done beyond that. You just want to read more into it than there is.

Gus quoted
“I was quite far away from it but we can’t complain about it. I got sent off as a player, Tano got sent off as a player and so did Charlie."

“He knows what he’s done and he doesn’t need anyone else to say anything to him. That’s football and these things happen. It just can’t happen too often.”

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
1) I didn't realise players couldn't be judged over a whole season. Apologies, I'll just select a sample of games that suits my argument...
2) Based on what player ratings? 70% is my opinion, your averages yours.
3) Ok, that's great, let's praise Gus for something he hasn't said and that we have no indication that he's done.
4) Well he's dropped CMS, and even tried Vicente on his own up front, so you don't have to accomodate the golden bo to play him.
5) Have a look at how many games LuaLua's started this season. Wingers are known to be erratic, but if he only starts one game at a time what hope has he got of having a run of form?
6) Yes, Poyet briefly saw sense, but as he has given up on his plan to try an attacking team and insists on this one striker defending on the left wing bollocks you know what's more likely
7) Challenging for the play-offs? Hardly. We're not much further away from the relegation zone.

1) Huh? Ah. see, typo. 3 yellow cards in his first 6 games followed by 22 cardless games. An improvement.
2) Not my averages, NSC averages. All the users that are bothered to respond (and plenty of them are very down on Barnes) vote and the average of those votes show him to be above 5/10 in all those games, above 7 in9 etc.
3) Why would he tell everyone he is doing it when the whole point of doing it privately is so that it is private?
4) Huh?
5) Buckley hasn't been erratic, and barring injuries he's been regular starter.
6) Huh?
7) 8th place with 51 points to play for and you've given up?

Yeah, back on ignore.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
A manager will always do this to protect his players... no doubt he was furious about it but do you expect him to publicly berate a young player in the press?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Eh? Id've thought the main argument for Barnes apologising publicly would be to say sorry to the thousand odd that wasted their day and their wages at Hillsborough thanks to his lack of maturity.

But where does it stop? should Kuszczak apologise for the late goal against Brum? Or Dun against Palace? Or whomever it was that lost Lita for Sheffied Wednesday's first?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
But where does it stop? should Kuszczak apologise for the late goal against Brum? Or Dun against Palace? Or whomever it was that lost Lita for Sheffied Wednesday's first?

How can you compare what Barnes did to PIG or even Dunk? Barnes lunged at the player and deserves all the stick he gets, regardless if he has played above average in the last 2 games

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I thought it was a good challenge.

:jester:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Without getting into the "Barnes is terrible/no he's not, he's brilliant" debate yet again ...

... do the more excitable posters on here really think that Ash has some kind of power over Gus and that's why he gets picked? Does he hypnotise him? Blackmail him? Have an affair with him? Lend him money? What's the theory?

Here's mine. He's picked because, for all his faults and the occasional silly outburst, he's good enough.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Without getting into the "Barnes is terrible/no he's not, he's brilliant" debate yet again ...

... do the more excitable posters on here really think that Ash has some kind of power over Gus and that's why he gets picked? Does he hypnotise him? Blackmail him? Have an affair with him? Lend him money? What's the theory?

Here's mine. He's picked because, for all his faults and the occasional silly outburst, he's good enough.

Is he really? The one position that needs strengthening is his place in my opinion!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Is he really? The one position that needs strengthening is his place in my opinion!

Well, I did say it was a theory. I am aware that others have a different view. My point was really that people keep coming out with stuff like "oh, he'll never get dropped or criticised, because it's golden boy Barnes etc etc". But he's picked on merit, in Gus's eyes, and for no other reason. And actually he has been dropped, and criticised (for the last penalty miss).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Without trawling thru all the WW "troll" nomsense that has no doubt followed I will say that AB is a red card waiting to happen. The fact that he got caught on sat comes as no surprise. He has walked the "tightrope" for many many games. I have seen his "niggles" and he has been v v lucky up till now.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Well, I did say it was a theory. I am aware that others have a different view. My point was really that people keep coming out with stuff like "oh, he'll never get dropped or criticised, because it's golden boy Barnes etc etc". But he's picked on merit, in Gus's eyes, and for no other reason. And actually he has been dropped, and criticised (for the last penalty miss).

Fair enough, however, I agree with the Gus plays Barnes no matter what brigade! If we are gonna be serious and yes I know he's young and the manager doesn't play him in the right position etc buts he is not Thierry Henry. He not going to turn into a classy centre forward? The manager needs to take the majority of the criticism like the op said! His challenge was reckless and fully deserved a red and I for one HOPE the boss nails him for it like he did spaz and vincelot

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Barnes is banned for 3 games. He is being punished. He has nothing to apologise to the fans for. You pay to watch football, and the drama that goes with it. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Barnes scores and assists his fair share of goals. He may not be skillful or flamboyant but he tracks back to defend. Wins freekicks at key moments, scores goals and sets up goals. I believe Vicente had his best moments when Barnes was playing with him. And we have already seen him combine with Ulloa. He didn't have a large price tag and isn't a star. I guess this is why he is vilified.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
What a load of bollocks this is.
Yes Barnes let us down just like against arsenal ankergrun let us down.What we do know is move on & learn from our mistakes.

Those that say Barnes cost us 3 points are obviously unaware that we haven't come from behind to win a game since we beat Doncaster at the first game at the Amex.

I was at hillsborough on Saturday & thought we were the better team for long periods with 11 & 10 men.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here