Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good to see Gus knows how to control his players

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Whilst I'm not denying his red was stupid, saying "game over" isn't the right phrase. 3 horrible defensive mistakes cost us 3 goals!

His foul lead directly to their second goal, but yes, our defending was all over the place, but this was the first league defeat of the year, and with 11 men, we would have expected our usual draw.

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
It does seem to be one rule for Barnes and another for less favoured players (e.g. Sparrow and Vincelot who barely got a look in after being sent off last season).

This is another thing I don't understand. People genuinely think Sparrow and Vincelot leaving/not playing this season was solely down to them getting sent off. How about because they weren't good enough.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
This is another thing I don't understand. People genuinely think Sparrow and Vincelot leaving/not playing this season was solely down to them getting sent off. How about because they weren't good enough.

Sparrow was better than half of the lightweights that get match time, and certainly better than that great jessy Hammond.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Has anybody seen a public apology from Barnes? Some will say he doesn't need to but wouldn't you do it anyway? Like previous poster says, he let team mates, manager and fans down. Costs a lot to get to Sheffield and despite giving it a go, bloody hard to win a game at this level with 10men for so long.

He doesn't need to apologise publicly. It's a bad decision he made in the heat of the moment and he'll pay for it with a three match ban. Besides, who said he didn't apologise to the players and manager in private?

A good manager defends his players in public and keeps disciplinary action behind closed doors.

Yes he does.

Gus should have fined him! Simple as that. Barnes behaved like a spoiled brat, and it cost us at least a point, and possibly three.

Who says he hasn't fined him? All Gus has said is that he understands what happened.

It does seem to be one rule for Barnes and another for less favoured players (e.g. Sparrow and Vincelot who barely got a look in after being sent off last season).

Less favoured or less talented?s Sparrow and Vincelot have added virtually nothing in the last two years. Barnes has been an integral part of out team and will likely continue to be.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
tumblr_lyufmmtn711qdddnho1_500.jpg

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
Sparrow was better than half of the lightweights that get match time, and certainly better than that great jessy Hammond.

Right so a player who played nearly every game for Southampton when they get promoted to the PL in a vital position on the pitch is a better option than a player who played a handful of games in the last 2 seasons at league 1 and championship level?

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
He doesn't need to apologise publicly. It's a bad decision he made in the heat of the moment and he'll pay for it with a three match ban. Besides, who said he didn't apologise to the players and manager in private?

Eh? Id've thought the main argument for Barnes apologising publicly would be to say sorry to the thousand odd that wasted their day and their wages at Hillsborough thanks to his lack of maturity.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Really? Why is that? Whilst I probably like Ashley Barnes more that the OP, I cannot fault the general comments he has made.

We are not progressing, and our players that show form are made to miss-out to a bunch of spineless weeds.

You might not be able to, but anyone who isn't looking to make Gus/Ashley look as bad as possible can fault them.

Not shown any improvement in controlling his temper? Three yellow cards in the first six matches this season, followed 2 games without any cards. That to me is an improvement.
Pony in 70% of games? A completely arbitrary number grabbed from the air. 23 of his 31 appearances averaged over 5 out of ten, 16 of them over 6, 9 over 7. (9.1 gaves would be 30%, unless anything less than 7/10 is consider pony, that is a nonsense statistic)
Gus has said he won't punish Barnes is a sign of bad man management? So many managers say things similar, it's been said about Rooney but he has improved. It is generally accepted even when managers say they won't punish a player they actually do, it's just sometimes it's considered bad man management to do this through the press.
Hoskins shone through? A last minute goal against a team that are exposed at the back as they push for promotion, a goal made by a brilliant pass and a decent performance against ipswich's B team is good, but is it enough to displace a guy who has 3 goals in our matches, including two man of the match performances?
Lualua barely gets a look in? He has had chances from the start and failed to take them, he has done well coming off the bench sometimes, but has also been distracted by court cases.
Barnes straight back in? This is an extension of the ridiculous and completely flawed "barnes is undroppable" sentiment. Barnes has been dropped from the starting line up 7 out of 32 times (that's almost one in 4).
Poyet is out of his depth? Taking a team from league one relegation to challenging for championship play offs, 8th in the division with a game in hand is not 'out of his depth' even if you believe he hasn't been getting the most out of the squad

I really wished threads by people in your ignore list were hidden.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
You might not be able to, but anyone who isn't looking to make Gus/Ashley look as bad as they possible can fault them.

Not shown any improvement in controlling his temper? Three yellow cards in the first six matches this season, followed 2 games without any cards. That to me is an improvement.
Pony in 70% of games? A completely arbitrary number grabbed from the air. 23 of his 31 appearances averaged over 5 out of ten, 16 of them over 6, 9 over 7. (9.1 gaves would be 30%, unless anything less than 7/10 is consider pony, that is a nonsense statistic)
Gus has said he won't punish Barnes is a sign of bad man management? So many managers say things similar, it's been said about Rooney but he has improved. It is generally accepted even when managers say they won't punish a player they actually do, it's just sometimes it's considered bad man management to do this through the press.
Hoskins shone through? A last minute goal against a team that are exposed at the back as they push for promotion, a goal made by a brilliant pass and a decent performance against ipswich's B team is good, but is it enough to displace a guy who has 3 goals in our matches, including two man of the match performances?
Lualua barely gets a look in? He has had chances from the start and failed to take them, he has done well coming off the bench sometimes, but has also been distracted by court cases.
Barnes straight back in? This is an extension of the ridiculous and completely flawed "barnes is undroppable" sentiment. Barnes has been dropped from the starting line up 7 out of 32 times (that's almost one in 4).
Poyet is out of his depth? Taking a team from league one relegation to challenging for championship play offs, 8th in the division with a game in hand is not 'out of his depth' even if you believe he hasn't been getting the most out of the squad

I really wished threads by people in your ignore list were hidden.

1) I didn't realise players couldn't be judged over a whole season. Apologies, I'll just select a sample of games that suits my argument...
2) Based on what player ratings? 70% is my opinion, your averages yours.
3) Ok, that's great, let's praise Gus for something he hasn't said and that we have no indication that he's done.
4) Well he's dropped CMS, and even tried Vicente on his own up front, so you don't have to accomodate the golden bo to play him.
5) Have a look at how many games LuaLua's started this season. Wingers are known to be erratic, but if he only starts one game at a time what hope has he got of having a run of form?
6) Yes, Poyet briefly saw sense, but as he has given up on his plan to try an attacking team and insists on this one striker defending on the left wing bollocks you know what's more likely
7) Challenging for the play-offs? Hardly. We're not much further away from the relegation zone.

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
A good manager defends his players in public and keeps disciplinary action behind closed doors.
Absolutely right. Agree that a public apology from Barnes would be good PR for the player. I would hope Barnes has been fined for the red card and will be on the bench on his return

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here