Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good things about Gus going

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I assume you are referring to Gus' comment that he couldn't afford to keep Murray, because there were separate budgets for transfers and wages [and hence there was money to buy CMS, but not to pay Murray's wage demands]? His comment didn't make any sense to me at the time, because even if there WERE separate budgets, it implies that CMS wages would have been less than what Murray was asking for, and I find that very, very hard to believe.

It sounded to me like Gus was trying to come up with an excuse as to why he had let a striker leave the club, join a Championship rival, and proceed to have a prolific goalscoring season, whilst Gus struggled to fit his very expensive replacement into his style of play (let alone become an effective goalscorer).

Too right. Gus' statement on Muzza was for gullible morons.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I assume you are referring to Gus' comment that he couldn't afford to keep Murray, because there were separate budgets for transfers and wages [and hence there was money to buy CMS, but not to pay Murray's wage demands]? His comment didn't make any sense to me at the time, because even if there WERE separate budgets, it implies that CMS wages would have been less than what Murray was asking for, and I find that very, very hard to believe.

It sounded to me like Gus was trying to come up with an excuse as to why he had let a striker leave the club, join a Championship rival, and proceed to have a prolific goalscoring season, whilst Gus struggled to fit his very expensive replacement into his style of play (let alone become an effective goalscorer).

That would've be pretty lame and positive proof that he wasn't man enough to admit he'd made a mistake. I hope you're wrong because that in itself would want me to see him out of the club if it was my money. Pathetic if true.

Bloom would really have loved that, Gus makes it his fault that Gus let Murray go :lolol:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
For me, Gus was a good manager, but I will not miss his public pronouncements. We may well get a manager who knows when to talk, when to hold his counsel and, most importantly of all, he will appreciate the excellent opportunity he has been provided by his chairman to lead our fantastic club. Not asking much to change, just a little respect for the club, its chairman, board, staff, players and fans.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Lua Lua will play more
We may score from a corner
We may make a substitution before we concede the 1st goal
We may make a substitution in the first half
We may make a substitution before the opposition
We may get someone who puts out the best team for the important league match not the cup match a few days before just because HE wants to look good on TV
We may get someone who treats taking a penalty as a serious matter
Caskey will play more
Referees may not dislike the new managers rants
We may really try and score the first goal
We may play OUR best side and not try & counter the oppositions team
We may try harder to score a 2nd to kill the game off
We may get someone who can train & improve CMS to shoot with his left
We may get someone who recognises that a job at a club with the 12th highest ST sales in the country IS a good job

How is making a sub in the first half a good thing?

Aug 23, 2011
For me, Gus was a good manager, but I will not miss his public pronouncements. We may well get a manager who knows when to talk, when to hold his counsel and, most importantly of all, he will appreciate the excellent opportunity he has been provided by his chairman to lead our fantastic club. Not asking much to change, just a little respect for the club, its chairman, board, staff, players and fans.

Look what happened to England when they got the media friendly Steve mcclaren to stop the tabloid news stories!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

And hopefully, be as successful as Gus,but I'm sure relegation wouldn't matter to some, as long as the new manager doesn't upset anybody, and is respectful to the fans.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
That's a step too far sir,......

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Look what happened to England when they got the media friendly Steve mcclaren to stop the tabloid news stories!

The thread is about 'Good things about Gus going', hence my post. Obviously, I want a manager of similar football philosophy to Gus, and at least as good as him in terms of management (rather than handling the media). That excludes SM!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And hopefully, be as successful as Gus,but I'm sure relegation wouldn't matter to some, as long as the new manager doesn't upset anybody, and is respectful to the fans.

I took the fact that we need a manager as capable as Gus at pure management as a 'given'. See my other post just submitted. Your point is moot.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
We played some teams off the park with our passing game under Gus, acknowledged by press and away supporters alike. That's something I will miss.

Aug 23, 2011
The thread is about 'Good things about Gus going', hence my post. Obviously, I want a manager of similar football philosophy to Gus, and at least as good as him in terms of management (rather than handling the media). That excludes SM!

Yeah I know, your post just came across that the media dealings were your first priority and results secondary

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We played some teams off the park with our passing game under Gus, acknowledged by press and away supporters alike. That's something I MAY miss.

Corrected for you, oh ye of little faith.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah I know, your post just came across that the media dealings were your first priority and results secondary

Definitely NOT. We need BOTH. Gus had one, but was a complete failure at the other.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We played some teams off the park with our passing game under Gus, acknowledged by press and away supporters alike. That's something I will miss.
why is that going to change, our style is set now, the players like it, fans like it, the press like it, the club will appoint a permanent manager who continues this modern way of playing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here