Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good News....................

Applying for entry level jobs, they wonder why a 30 year old with a degree would want a job suitable for a 16 year old school leaver and so on... Also, there is the obvious suspicion that I might not stick around for long.

I'm not trying to be funny, just helpful (and I did used to run courses for unemployed people trying to get back into work)

If the fact that you have a degree is causing your cv to be rejected when you apply for entry level jobs, then leave it off your cv.

Your cv is not the place for any negative - rephrase that, non-positive - information about you. It should ONLY contain information that would help you get the interview.

The objective of a cv is to get you an interview, NOT to get you the job. Once you get the interview, you have a choice. Either you tell them about this non-positive information or you don't.

If it isn't relevant and they won't find out, think carefully before telling them. Why do you need to tell them? If you don't, don't.

If I'm banned from driving but the job doesn't involve driving in any way, I won't tell them (unless they ask).

If it is relevant, or in any way serious, or something they would find out anyway then it's much better for you to tell them rather than them to find out.

Then you need to put a positive or at least a neutral spin on it, such as:-

"I think I should tell you I do have a problem with the telephone, but I'm a pretty good lip reader so face to face I can manage perfectly, as you can see"

Or something more serious:-

"I think I should tell you that 15 years ago my business collapsed and I was made bankrupt. But that's all behind me now, it was a tough time but I came through it, and learnt a lot about myself in the process.

Never ever ever volunteer "negative" information on a cv. Don't give them a reason to reject you. Let them decide.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's bloody hard at the moment. I've been made redundant (lucky I have a few months before I'm out of work completely) frantically applying in a very tough sector but I'm keeping positive for now!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Good luck Tone, keep going. Right now I have a relative who is very well qualified however he's been away travelling for most of the last year. He can't get work, why ? Because he expects more than he was on when he left. I am somewhat lacking in sympathy.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
good luck! iv had a few interviews in the past few months but havent got anything yet. 1st job the role was taken away due to them making cuts and i was ill on the day of my assessment centre for another, so now back to square 1, i feel your pain!

Lush

Mods' Pet
Great news Tony! :banana:

BoF - I may have misunderstood, and I'm sorry to sound a bit crass about this (and at the risk of hijacking a joyous thread) but don't employers have a "disability quotient" these days? In which case I would have thought you'd be a fabulous option, compared to the cost of converting an office for wheelchair use, for example.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Good luck mate , don't let ageism win the day.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fantastic news what time is the interview so we can all have some positive thoughts and mind technique for you.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Fill yer boots mate. Mrs Fef goes for a job interview on Thursday having spent the last 15 months without. We'll all keep our fingers crossed. Good luck.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
11am, and thanks to all for the nice good wishes :thumbsup:

Excellent, swot up and wear clean underwear and it will be in the bag.

I have a meeting starting at 11:00 so will think positive beforehand, let us know the result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here