Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good News....................

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Thanks again for all the good luck wishes, I will of course update this once I know the result, the interview is Wednesday 2nd at 11am, I would be surprised if I hear anything to soon, but when i do you will be the first to hear :thumbsup:

I am spending a fair chunk of today doing all preperation work required, any pointers gladly accepted :)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Good luck mate. Ive been lucky enough to stay in work but even in education /academia you are only one person's decision away from unemployment and with two kids and living at the limit of our finances ( and now in my forties) it is a constant dark cloud on the horizon. I am in a cushy job at the mo plus my writing but I hate it... keep reminding myself every day tho that however much I hate it I HAVE a job that pays well and is pretty easy. I know I am lucky.

Will be keeping a keen eye on how it goes.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Good luck, mate and thanks for your support during my work saga, I am now doing ok and am slotting in nicely and if all goes well my hourly rate goes up by 25% in 3 months.
Typically since I got myself sorted out I have been offered another 2 positions and have several requests for more interviews.
Good advice gained on NSC.
1. Leave date of birth off CV.
2. leave off dates when gained qualifications.
3. Do not bleat about what you do in your spare time.
4. Only list your last 3 or 4 jobs.
5. State ' References available on successful progression'.
Worked for me.:thumbsup:

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
ok - i used to interview people, and i can guarantee you the employer will make up his mind (subconsciously) in the first 30 seconds...........your initial "energy" is sooo important....

confident, calm, enthused, .........get the right blend of these and it matters very little what you say.

it is better to calmly and confidently say "i'm not sure" and look direct into the eyes, than to reel off a standard answer that all in the room, including yourself, know is bullshit.

its all about the first 30 seconds.....drink mineral water and breath deep into the abs before and you will shine.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why leave your date of birth off the form? Annoys me when I'm going through CV's and they don't give their DOB

Because it has no bearing on the persons ability to do a job and as an interviewer you really shouldn't give a toss how old they are.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Tony,

Also make sure you've researched the company well as too. Too many people I've interviewed just memorise a mission statement off the web site and leave it at that. Try and find press releases and trade press articles showing what they have achieved. See if you can find if the company you going to is part of a larger organisation ( e.g. Capita Symonds is the construction arm of Capita Group PLC ). The interviewer will want to see that you are interested in the company not just the role. Good Luck !

I am and have been doing that all day, on and off, I think I know more about their company then they do :laugh: thanks though, (any other info will be gratefully received)

Last edited by a moderator:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Tony,

Also make sure you've researched the company well as too. Too many people I've interviewed just memorise a mission statement off the web site and leave it at that. Try and find press releases and trade press articles showing what they have achieved. See if you can find if the company you going to is part of a larger organisation ( e.g. Capita Symonds is the construction arm of Capita Group PLC ). The interviewer will want to see that you are interested in the company not just the role. Good Luck !

I am and have been doing that all day, on and off, I think I know more about their company then they do :laugh: thanks though, (any other info will be gratefully received)

My God - that confused me ! The power of being a MOD :lol:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
get that job Tony ......everything crossed for you

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Ah, okay- just wondering if they were hiring in their planning department, as that's my line of work. Gainfully employed but interested to see if there's anyone hiring at the moment.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good luck Tony and I hope you get something soon BOF.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Ah, okay- just wondering if they were hiring in their planning department, as that's my line of work. Gainfully employed but interested to see if there's anyone hiring at the moment.

Nothing around planning currently on their internal vacancy website

Arun1664

Nov 2, 2009
For what its worth:
Read the Job description, be ready to explain why you meet its requirements, also if you can illustrate why with examples of your previouse experiance so much the better.

Read your own CV, be prepared to justify claims you have made in it.

Google "difficult interview questions" it doesn't hurt to have thought about them (like the classic "so what do you think your weaknesses are")

Think about your questions for them, they will probably give you the opportunity to ask, but if they have covered all you would have asked its OK to say so.

Have some example of constructive things you have achived in life and during your period of unemployment.

Get some practice if you can (maybe you have already)

Best of luck, came close to being out the door myself last year, can only try to imagine the problems of getting back in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here