Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good news and bad news.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Yorkie said:
Once again I have to say that there weren't any mass suicides amongst the miners in the north of England or the steelworkers either.

I know her politics weren't popular but the mass hysteria all the southerners seem to have about her is way out of proportion.

I didn't like her politics but I am eternally grateful for the Falklands (because of relatives and friends out there)

But they could have prevented it from even happening if they hadn't been so bloody inept.

And what's all this bollocks about Thatcher hating being a southern sport?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
El Presidente said:
368 died actually:nono: Outside the exclusion zone and heading away from it.

323 died. 58 km outside when it was sunk - the aircraft onboard with combined weapons systems were within range, so they didn't want them to use the excuse that they could fire from outside the zone then run for home. The Belgrano was warned, and following legal appeals it was declared a lawful act of war. Did enough to push the Argentine fleet back to the safety of their own 12 mile limit, and stopped us losing any more men - actually stopped them losing any more of their ships, which is what would have happened.

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Malvinas=sour grapes.

Also spotted the quip about pitfalls.

No,no mass suicides of miners or steelworkers.Just mass despair.

Will she die?Of course.Its death and taxes again,and another win for the grim reaper.

And those of us who remember those maldias can truly rejoice.

Thank you.Though I never hoped it would happen,I've outlasted the wicked fete opener.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Voroshilov said:
But they could have prevented it from even happening if they hadn't been so bloody inept.

And what's all this bollocks about Thatcher hating being a southern sport?

The usual places returned Labour MPs but there were a few places in Yorkshire still returning Conservative MP's.
Mass despair amongst the miners and steel workers? Not really. The steel workers took their redundancies and the payouts fairly happily.
Steel mills were demolished to make way for other employment like Meadowhall.
My father in law was glad to be made redundant.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
HampshireSeagulls said:
323 died. 58 km outside when it was sunk - the aircraft onboard with combined weapons systems were within range, so they didn't want them to use the excuse that they could fire from outside the zone then run for home. The Belgrano was warned, and following legal appeals it was declared a lawful act of war. Did enough to push the Argentine fleet back to the safety of their own 12 mile limit, and stopped us losing any more men - actually stopped them losing any more of their ships, which is what would have happened.
If that's the truth then a) what was the point in setting up an exclusion zone and b) The Belgrano was in any case, heading away from the islands as far as I understood it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
HampshireSeagulls said:
If you were not there, or you have not had access to the information, then you have no idea what you are talking about.

Crumbs, does that mean I have to take back my dislike of Nazi Germany and Stalin on the same grounds then:jester:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
El Presidente said:
That makes it ok then:jester:

Nope - but if you are going to quote, then get your facts right. I think the :jester: belongs to you.

It was a war, if the Belgrano had not been sunk then there would have been many more deaths. The Belgrano sinking saved a lot more Argentine sailors from being sunk.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
f***ing evil BITCH, I hope she has a slow and painful death when it comes to her, she was only ever interested in sorting out the rich and f***ing over the common man which she saw as being scum.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Simster said:
And how old was he? I'm guessing he wasn't 45 with a mortgage? ???

60 with a mortgage.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
El Presidente said:
Crumbs, does that mean I have to take back my dislike of Nazi Germany and Stalin on the same grounds then:jester:

You might be a mod, but don't be a cock.

There is enough evidence to allow even an idiot like you to form an opinion based on tangible facts. You have not seen any evidence on the Belgrano incident (or if you have you are one of the very, very few, and Iwould hazard a very educated guess that you are not). The evidence for Nazi Germany and Stalin is in the public domain already.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
HampshireSeagulls said:
It was a war, if the Belgrano had not been sunk then there would have been many more deaths. The Belgrano sinking saved a lot more Argentine sailors from being sunk.
So not only are we supposed to armed with precise facts, but we're also required to be armed with a crystal ball like you obviously are. :jester:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Albion Dan said:
f***ing evil BITCH, I hope she has a slow and painful death when it comes to her, she was only ever interested in sorting out the rich and f***ing over the common man which she saw as being scum.

So at 5 years old you understood the election issues following the 3 day week, winter of discontent and the problems that arose from that?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Simster said:
If that's the truth then a) what was the point in setting up an exclusion zone and b) The Belgrano was in any case, heading away from the islands as far as I understood it.

The exclusion zone was an area in which it was taken as given that you were a combatant. The Belgrano was initially steaming towards the zone as head of a Carrier Battle Group, it had turned, but was not moving away at the same speed. It was operationally assessed to be a threat. If the Conqueror had wanted to cause greater loss of life, it would have taken out more than just the Belgrano. Carrier Battle Groups have a greater range owing to airborne weapons - having seen the damage that an Exocet launched from a Super Etendard could do, there was no way that the UK forces could allow that threat near the zone.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yorkie said:
60 with a mortgage.
So just 5 years from retirement, I'm assuming he had a tiny mortage which would easily have been paid off by a redundancy package. I think my point still stands; that your father-in-law doesn't sound like the sort of person who was ever going to be affected terribly by redunancy, especially if he was merely going through the motions.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Simster said:
So not only are we supposed to armed with precise facts, but we're also required to be armed with a crystal ball like you obviously are. :jester:

No - but if you stick to the subjects you actually know about, then you come across as less of a sycophantic fool, trying to get your tongue up a mod's arse.

My background allows me to have a better-than-educated view of what would probably have happened. If you base your knowledge of the '82 conflict around the Sun headline of "Gotcha", then I don't really expect you to exceed the educational level of most of your previous posts.

Last edited:

Sergi Gotsmanov

Feb 23, 2004
West of Palookaville
If you liked her or not she gave this country a wake up call and dragged us out of the gutter.

Many didn't like the way she did it but then again many don't like the way Blair took us to Iraq which has led to a far larger loss of life than the Falklands and tipped us into a spiral of terrorist doom.

We'll wait and see how many rejoice his ill health in the future.

As for the Belgrano, well war is shit and if your waving a gun around (or boat) then chances are someone is going to shoot you no matter where you stand/float.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here