Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good luck to all those doing the Brighton marathon today

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well done to everyone that took part today. Brilliant effort! :)

Oh yeah, good to see you too, admirable effort in running with me for fifty yards or so :lolol:

Does anyone know what the temperature actually was today? It didn't feel THAT hot to me, but then I probably tipped in the region of 50 litres of water over my head during the course of the 26 miles.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I was on target for a big pb and a sub 4 hour finish. Unfortunately I collapsed with heat exhaustion at 24 miles and was unconcious for quite some time. I awoke with st johns ambulance people standing over me, but I didn't even know who I was or what I was doing. I was so confused that I thought I had some kind of brain damage!

It turned out alright in the end though, got carted off to the medical centre in an ambulance ( which took an hour to arrive!) but the staff in the med centre were excellent. I can recall most of the marathon now, but have no memory of collapsing at all. Laying on the sofa now feeling a bit pissed off that I couldn't finish, but thankful that it looks like no serious damage was done.

Well done to everyone that finished in that heat today.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Oh yeah, good to see you too, admirable effort in running with me for fifty yards or so :lolol:

Does anyone know what the temperature actually was today? It didn't feel THAT hot to me, but then I probably tipped in the region of 50 litres of water over my head during the course of the 26 miles.

Thought I'd stop before I showed you up...

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Good luck once again. I shall be watching my friend starting his 3 day walk of the 26 miles. He has MS and is raising funds fir that.

Has he got a Just Giving page? No matter whether MS is a charity close to your heart, that kind of courage needs rewarding. He's got the heart of a f***ing lion and balls like oranges to take on the marathon and I wish him all the luck in the world.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I am happy for those that had a good day. But I had a nightmare. OK up to 14 miles then I started seeing stars in front of my eyes. I stopped at the statue of Queen Victoria - and got acquainted with the St Johns ambulance people (bloomin' marvellous). If you could have handed your stuff in at that point I would have. I waited to see my brother finish the New Church Road dogleg - then started to feel a little better (that must have been a greak of 30 minutes). I thought I would give it a go to carry on - but was in with the walkers. From that point I ran/walked/power walked and ended up coming in with what I was determined not to finish with - all the walkers and the novelty costumes. But what do you go ? give up or carry on.

However - had a few pints in the Barley Mow so feel happier with the world. My time 6hrs 12min or so. Nightmare. No more marathons for me. Half marathons will be my distance. Delighted for the other runners - and said hello to Edna going up the hill at Rottingdean (before I realised the i-pod was on). And thanks to everyone for the running thread - especially Herr T.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very Very well done Edna!!

Herr Tubthumper..........I have PM'd You!! cheers

Sorted. Hopefully see you soon. I'll second Carrot Cruncher, want to let us all know if there's a donations page?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am happy for those that had a good day. But I had a nightmare. OK up to 14 miles then I started seeing stars in front of my eyes. I stopped at the statue of Queen Victoria - and got acquainted with the St Johns ambulance people (bloomin' marvellous). If you could have handed your stuff in at that point I would have. I waited to see my brother finish the New Church Road dogleg - then started to feel a little better (that must have been a greak of 30 minutes). I thought I would give it a go to carry on - but was in with the walkers. From that point I ran/walked/power walked and ended up coming in with what I was determined not to finish with - all the walkers and the novelty costumes. But what do you go ? give up or carry on.

However - had a few pints in the Barley Mow so feel happier with the world. My time 6hrs 12min or so. Nightmare. No more marathons for me. Half marathons will be my distance. Delighted for the other runners - and said hello to Edna going up the hill at Rottingdean (before I realised the i-pod was on). And thanks to everyone for the running thread - especially Herr T.

Well done DKM, I'm glad you found something inside you to carry on and finish. And I hope you wore your medal whilst downing those pints ;-)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Check out this BEAUTY!! (not while having your tea). Am quite pleased that I kept on running with bastard blisters like this going on in my shoes. Popped all ten of them most satisfyingly when I got in. Tomorrow I will be going to buy some iodine to treat the buggers.
:lol:

217707_10150153061096638_558516637_7020663_3323814_n.jpg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Well done, DKM :clap:
Especially as I imagine it would have been easier to give up than carry on.

Respect, Sir.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I saw your time and thought you'd popped into the Basket Makers and/or Evening Star...

Well done Mr Mumm. Top effort.

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
I was on target for a big pb and a sub 4 hour finish. Unfortunately I collapsed with heat exhaustion at 24 miles and was unconcious for quite some time. I awoke with st johns ambulance people standing over me, but I didn't even know who I was or what I was doing. I was so confused that I thought I had some kind of brain damage!

It turned out alright in the end though, got carted off to the medical centre in an ambulance ( which took an hour to arrive!) but the staff in the med centre were excellent. I can recall most of the marathon now, but have no memory of collapsing at all. Laying on the sofa now feeling a bit pissed off that I couldn't finish, but thankful that it looks like no serious damage was done.

Well done to everyone that finished in that heat today.

I had a similar epidemic, I was bang on for sub four at the 22 mile mark (about 3 hours) but my legs gave up and i STACKED it.

I then felt dizzy and was obviously dehydrated so i spent the next 30 minutes throwing up and trying to work out what i was doing, i even had to ask someone how far we were in and what time was left to complete, he told me i'd be fine to walk from here but i'd lost the plot by this point.

after this I could barely run anymore but was determined to finish so had to walk the majority of the remaining four miles and came in at 4:49, which i'm happy with in that heat and I can safely say that is the hardest thing i've ever done in my life.

the combination of heat, exhaustion and the surreality of running 26.2 miles took it's toll and i went through all the emotions in the last three miles, but i'm glad i've done it and that feeling of crossing the line will never be forgotten.

Plus around £675 raised for the REMF in the process :smile:

Stat Man

Tickle my fancy, fat man
Mar 3, 2009
Brighton
Check out this BEAUTY!! (not while having your tea). Am quite pleased that I kept on running with bastard blisters like this going on in my shoes. Popped all ten of them most satisfyingly when I got in. Tomorrow I will be going to buy some iodine to treat the buggers.
:lol:

You should try moleskin (amazon) and M-tape (jog shop) to cover the area's that you get blisters (use the tape to make sure the moleskin doesn't move & you can also tape your toes to stop them rubbing). I used them today and only got one blister at the top of my left big toe, as i hadn't put enough tape on to cover the whole thing.

Well done today, I just beat you by a few minutes:p (but you would have beat me if the crowd hadn't been cheering me on!)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bloomin' should have done. The funny thinng about "running" for that long is that I ate breakfast at 6.30am - and was still running at 3.20am. Jelly babies are not enough.

Sorry I missed you then! I must admit, the Ovingdean-Rottingdean stretch was the worst bit of the race for me and it was the first time I stuck the iPod on, because I just needed to zone out. Too far from even the halfway point to contemplate finishing, and with the hills too. It sucked. After about 15, I felt pretty good. Walked a few times, but I don't care, I was pacing myself and at least I didn't crash & burn around the dreaded power station section.

One of my friends started suffering from a dodgy stomach at about mile ten and had to make an emergency dash into a field to relieve the situation. Having no toilet roll he spent the remaining 16 miles wth his underwear (and undercarriage) in a decidedly unpleasant condition :lolol:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You should try moleskin (amazon) and M-tape (jog shop) to cover the area's that you get blisters (use the tape to make sure the moleskin doesn't move & you can also tape your toes to stop them rubbing). I used them today and only got one blister at the top of my left big toe, as i hadn't put enough tape on to cover the whole thing.

Well done today, I just beat you by a few minutes:p (but you would have beat me if the crowd hadn't been cheering me on!)

I had zinc tape over all of my toes and I put bits of sticky backed foam over the balls of each foot at the start. I haven't got blisters in the places where I normally get them, thanks to the padding, but what it did do is expose other areas to pressure instead. Can't win. And the zinc tape creased up on my little toes, creating more blisters. Iodine is the answer now, so I'm told.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
One of my friends started suffering from a dodgy stomach at about mile ten and had to make an emergency dash into a field to relieve the situation. Having no toilet roll he spent the remaining 16 miles wth his underwear (and undercarriage) in a decidedly unpleasant condition :lolol:

Didn't you get a little toilet roll AFTER the race? Perhaps they should rethink that for next year.

He should have stripped off and had a shower at the 14 mile mark!

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
cracking day, was aiming for 4:30-4:45 but suffered really badly with cramp on and off from about 17 miles and finished in 5:05........still really pleased and the support around the course was amazing, cant bloody move now and sunburnt but was a brilliant experience, not sure about next year though!!! Well done to all who ran and all the spectators....brilliant day for Brighton!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here