Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good luck to all those doing the Brighton marathon today

Tulip

May 3, 2008
Brighton
As i mentioned earlier, my mate who has MS is doing this over 3/4 days...he has to use a walking frame thing but he is now getting towards 7 miles. Bloody brave effort and if he completes this in a few days time, the organisers are going to meet him with a finish line and a medal, really hoping he can do it.

Well done to all the people that have done it today for so many good causes

He is on the official film for 2011! Saw the preview at the after party

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
Well done eveyone, I didn't post last night as a) too bloody tired and b) was at Donatellos enjoying some pizza. I managed to get around in 5 hours 15, the heat really took it out of me even though I tried to be cautious with me early mile times. I think I saw Edna queueing for the loo at Rottingdean, but can't be sure? I hit my wall around 18 miles when the road camber and heat made my left quad cramp up.

For all the pain, the sense of achievement and the last 2 miles of everyone shouting the name on my shirt have made it all worthwhile.

Well done everyone

sweetmods

Jan 31, 2004
Shoreham Beach
Well done indeed to all NSC runners - a brilliant achievement on such a roasting day. I stumbled across the finish line in 4hr 45mins. I went off at a good pace and felt great. Managed to complete the first half in 2hrs 4mins but then suffered BIG time around Shoreham Harbour. I'm not sure how well my numerous training runs in the ice and snow this winter prepared me for a mini heatwave! However, the support was amazing and I once again Brighton did us proud.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
A very tough day and I crossed the line in 5.46.34. I was absolutely shatter at the end as the heat took its toll. I hit the wall at 18 miles and walked/jogged for the next 3 miles up to Shoreham harbour before mostly running the final 5 miles. The finish line was so welcome and I felt so emotional crossing the line. I ran for the Martlets Hospice and with the gift aid will be £3k better off. I did this for Mark Turner/Bernie/Milkie who spent his last few weeks in there and I spoke to his Mum not long after I finished and his memory plus all the fantastic people cheering me on made me get round the 26.2 miles. But I have to say NEVER NEVER NEVER again! Loved the day and glad I did it but no doubt this is the hardest thing I have ever done. If you want to give any donations go to just giving and put in my name Mark Raven and it will take you to my pages. Day off work today to recover. Hats off to all those that ran and a massive thanks again to those that turned out to cheer us on, it certainly kept me going over the last 8 miles when I was really suffering.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well done eveyone, I didn't post last night as a) too bloody tired and b) was at Donatellos enjoying some pizza. I managed to get around in 5 hours 15, the heat really took it out of me even though I tried to be cautious with me early mile times. I think I saw Edna queueing for the loo at Rottingdean, but can't be sure? I hit my wall around 18 miles when the road camber and heat made my left quad cramp up.

For all the pain, the sense of achievement and the last 2 miles of everyone shouting the name on my shirt have made it all worthwhile.

Well done everyone

Yep, that would have been me! Declined to utilise the loos on St James's St as there were massive queues then spent the next six miles wishing I had. Luckily there were no queues at Rottingdean, well only an annoying child & I told her to get out of the way as some of us had a race to run :lol: I don't know what you look like but as I finished in 5:12 I must have been around you for much of the race.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
[[/IMG]
208745_10150548265785532_641880531_18022926_2693434_n.jpg

Me approaching 13 miles. Felt fine here and did the half marathon in 2 hours 30 mins, took 3 hours 15 for the second half!!!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I had a similar epidemic, I was bang on for sub four at the 22 mile mark (about 3 hours) but my legs gave up and i STACKED it.

I then felt dizzy and was obviously dehydrated so i spent the next 30 minutes throwing up and trying to work out what i was doing, i even had to ask someone how far we were in and what time was left to complete, he told me i'd be fine to walk from here but i'd lost the plot by this point.

after this I could barely run anymore but was determined to finish so had to walk the majority of the remaining four miles and came in at 4:49, which i'm happy with in that heat and I can safely say that is the hardest thing i've ever done in my life.

the combination of heat, exhaustion and the surreality of running 26.2 miles took it's toll and i went through all the emotions in the last three miles, but i'm glad i've done it and that feeling of crossing the line will never be forgotten.

Plus around £675 raised for the REMF in the process :smile:

Well done Neil. I was at the Power Station from 12-1.45 pm so I must have just missed you. Kevin Risby came past at around 1.10 pm and Mike Philpott at about 1.40 pm. Well done to all 3 of you and raising around £ 2k for the REMF.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I had quite an incredible experience yesterday - not only did I complete it ['DONE a marathon; not RUN a marathon'] which was my only real goal, but to be given the streets of Brighton & Hove made me realise just what a beautiful city I'm from. The people who were there to support us - especially the ones that hung back for us 'stragglers' - made me realise just how damned decent the human race is.

My genuinely fondest memory of the day will be the old 'gentleman of the street' at the top of St James Street who said to me 'Run, you old c*nt' as I went past; he reminded me so much of me old man - it's exactly the sort of thing he would have said and gave me a real boost just thinking of him at that moment - it was almost like he'd come back for the day :thumbsup:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My least favourite memory- well apart from the Ovingdean stretch- was the smart-arsed tosser at about two miles who thought it was funny to shout "Come on you lot, run, only twenty four miles to go" repeatedly. I heard plenty of runners suggesting he needed punching.

God I hurt this morning, but I keep telling myself that I've achieved something I've always wanted to do: the pain is temporary, but the memories will last a lifetime.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I did my first ever marathon yesterday and came in at 5.54..................was hoping for about 5.30, but hey so what I did it. I started to struggle in New Church Road and the thought of the power station leg made it even worse. But once i saw the 21 and 22 mile markers I knew I would do it!!!

I was a bit sceptical about the 'crowd will help you' claims i heard before the race, but i was very much proved wrong, what a lift the crowd gives you!!! Running down towards the pier and past Brighton Centre on the way to Hove was amazing, thats when I saw my girlfriend as well. Then for the last few miles running back towards Brighton was an unbelieavable feeling. Seeing the 26 mile mark and then the finish line gave me such a lift and I sprinted to the line squirting the contents of my water bottle into the air!!!!

Meeting up with friends / family after was amazing, them sharing the elation with me, and the cold beer in the Pitcher and Piano helped!!!

Well done to everyone who did it.

Gonna enter next years and approach it with more confidence, i had major doubts that i would do it leading up to yesterday, so having got a marathon under my belt i will train and run next year with more self belief.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Well done to all the runners, I popped over the lock gates for an hour or so before the Pub beckoned, only saw one NSCer and that was Easy10...in the pub! lovely view from Pebbles :thumbsup:

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Gonna enter next years and approach it with more confidence, i had major doubts that i would do it leading up to yesterday, so having got a marathon under my belt i will train and run next year with more self belief.

I can't tell you how much the experience of running it helps! Last year was my first Marathon, and it made the mental/psychological challenges this year that much easier. Every time I felt like struggling I just reminded myself that I had completed the exact same course last year. You know you can do it. You know what to expect. You know the course. Next year you will be so much more confident and enjoy it even more! Promise!

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Well done everyone, especially all you first timers, in yesterdays heat. Finishing your first marathon is always an amazing experience.

Hope people enjoyed running with their names on their tops, isn't it great when you hear the crowd say it. Would have liked to have meet some of the girls that cheered me on post race ;)

Had a pretty good day, finished in 4 hours 53 minutes, which was a wopping 20 seconds quicker than last year.

Still, only half time for me, as got London next Sunday :)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All the photos of the runners are up on the official marathon site, so if you want to check yourself out, or want to have a laugh at the state of people you know who did it, go to Brighton Marathon 2011 – Home

I look like I'm dying on my arse :)

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
thankfully I look in good shape everytime they caught me on camera! Anyone know if they have split timings, I remember last year I could find out what my time was at the halfway mark but can't seem to find anything but my chip and gun times! Also my position seems to have gone down about 40 places since it was originally posted.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They do have split times, I've got mine from the iPhone app, though I couldn't find them on the proper website.

If you don't have the iPhone app, PM me your full name and I'll check it out for you?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
All the photos of the runners are up on the official marathon site, so if you want to check yourself out, or want to have a laugh at the state of people you know who did it, go to Brighton Marathon 2011 – Home

I look like I'm dying on my arse :)

Cracking.

That is a small wedding present of the groom I am to be best man for sorted.

BRMS1167.jpeg

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
First official run of any sort yesterday, and much like a few of the above it was a run of two halves. 13 miles i did in about 2.10 which was bang on my 4.30 aim. I was also feeling relatively spritely having done the Ovingdean uphill by then which was the part I was dreading most. At about 13.2 miles I put my left foot in a small pot hole and hurt it (I broke my left ankle 6 months ago and have only been running since mid February.) this caused me some discomfort and I had to slow down for 2 miles untill the pain eased, I was unable by then to pick the pace up again and decided it was best to finish the race and not walk at any point. Ended up 4.47 which wasn't far off my target and I didnt walk at any point which im proud of. Think i'll do it next year now...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here