Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good Country Pub for Dinner Tonight..

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
I'm quite surprised you didnt enjoy the food, it's normally top quality. ok the portions arent huge but normally the food is really good. but you really cant beat the views. there amazing.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
after all the imput to your original question and you come back to us with that load of bollocks .............. brilliant :shrug:

but it's not though is it... I read all of the very useful tips from the good people of nsc and decided to go elsewhere..

someone asked how i got on... so i answered.

surely it's more of a waste of time to constantly post a barrage of crap on a thread that you were clearly incapable of contributing to...

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ignore him he has serious issues.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I've just had a wisdom tooth taken out this afternoon, even that was funnier than Das Reich.

Jan 30, 2008
but it's not though is it... I read all of the very useful tips from the good people of nsc and decided to go elsewhere..

someone asked how i got on... so i answered.

surely it's more of a waste of time to constantly post a barrage of crap on a thread that you were clearly incapable of contributing to...
i could list a whole load of quality places to eat .............. but that would be boring

bn3gunner

Feb 12, 2007
Hangelton Manor or The Downsman ..................Downsman if you also want a fight!!

The Downsman has got rid of all the scum(so its a bit quiet) and does nice food, the manor is nice when the staff can be bothered to serve you-my boss was nice enough to book our xmas meal there because it was closest to me and the other lady that worked with us,but the service was embarassing ,even when we gave it a second chance it was the same-5 bells in chailey is very nice if you get the chance

in the end I went to Cromwells at Golding Barn... which isn't exactly a dinner at a country pub, more a full blown 3 course meal at a restaurant.. but we'd been there before and the food had been top notch..

The view was excellent.. but

the beer was warm, the coke was flat, the steak was overcooked and a little tough, the scallops were cold, the goats cheese in some vegetable thing my mum had was way too strong and all of the portions were too small..

So I'm pretty sure they've lost a customer or two...

But the view was nice.

Good choice, and the one I would recommend. Great for brekkers, excellent coffee too.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Should have tried the Shepherd and Dog.

Shocking time when I took family and my Hove-based mother for lunch. Poor and very over priced food that really thought it was better than it was. Poor and slow service. Lots of people complaining. Manageress (owner?) pretty uninterested and out of her depth. Very disappointing.

i could list a whole load of quality places to eat .............. but that would be boring

Wouldn't be boring on a thread about places to eat would it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Shocking time when I took family and my Hove-based mother for lunch. Poor and very over priced food that really thought it was better than it was. Poor and slow service. Lots of people complaining. Manageress (owner?) pretty uninterested and out of her depth. Very disappointing.

We went there about three years ago and had such a miserable meal we vowed never to go back. (top marks for using 'uninterested' BTW, that's something that so many people get wrong)

Unless I missed it, no-one's mentioned the Griffin Inn at Fletching - some of the best pub food I've ever had anywhere - and some stunning views from the garden.

The old adage "you get what you paid for" rings all too loudly regarding country food fare, I'm afraid. Most country pubs think themselves culinary golden geese, just because their location and surroundings are a treat for some townies. All the while, the cooking is of a level you could make for yourself at home very easily - yet is priced extortionately.
So - the places that DO have repute for their dining excellence tend to bolster their prices further, making a plateful cost twice as much as the 'regular' overpriced places!

I have learned from eating around Brighton, that places that are supposed to specialize are also selling the king's new clobber. Steak houses for instance; a steak is what it is when you buy it. I do NOT want a ropey chewy cheapo slab of flesh that's been carefully measured to exactly the right size, colour, and depth of 'done', and with a nice parsley sprig and carefully placed vegetable and silver-packaged potato.
No, screw all the accoutrement pomp and circumstance - I want a REALLY TASTY and tender steak, an expensive enough bought cut to warrant me paying someone other than myself, to put it in front of me. From there, I'm more interested in the quality and taste, not the visual effect.
And no, I don't expect to pay £22 before the steak starts becoming decent quality so I 'get what I paid for'. I want it to be decent quality, period, and none of the £15 getting me bogstandard bottom-of-the line meat. The house is not even paying what we have to cough up in the butchers or markets - they are getting it at regular-supplier's discount cost.

No wonder the foreigners mock our cooking.

Jan 30, 2008
We went there about three years ago and had such a miserable meal we vowed never to go back. (top marks for using 'uninterested' BTW, that's something that so many people get wrong)

Unless I missed it, no-one's mentioned the Griffin Inn at Fletching - some of the best pub food I've ever had anywhere - and some stunning views from the garden.
everyones got their favourites,doesn't mean it will suit others though ?? some secrets are best kept to yourself .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here