Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good Country Pub for Dinner Tonight..

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
The Fountain at Ashurst - a mile or two beyond Steyning then a right turn, but well worth it.

I ate there last night, nice country pub and location is good with a nice garden but wasnt very impressed with my pints of stowford press nor my food. ok its reasonably priced with the average main meal about £10 but there are much better pubs out there

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Having worked at the Shepherd Dog for a few years I went back last summer. It was rubbish. Royal Oak much better but as previously mentioned expensive...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Royal Oak in Poynings......

Or if you want to be really Flash....The Checkers at Slougham - our favourite atthe moment and it does Harveys!

I've been there a few times recently, sitting in the garden is lovely in this weather.

Would also recommend the half moon in warninglid, hasn't quite got the character of checkers but still better than most and very nice food.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Miles from Portslade I know (but still in East Sussex) The Bear Inn at Burwash has the best view of any pub I know in the county and the food is pretty good

You sure you mean the Bear? whilst the food is good the view is not that brilliant! maybe the Wheel at Burwash Weald is the one you're thinking of?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Tottington Mannor or whatever it is called is pretty soulless, food is quite good but no atmosphere in there really , better to just have a drink there imo

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
All the places near the South Downs, including tottington manor and the dog and shepherd, have become poncified overpriced wine bars. I can recommend the Cock or the Cricketers, but both are beyond Lewes, so a bit of a way for you to travel.

D

Deleted User X18H

Hangelton Manor or The Downsman ..................Downsman if you also want a fight!!

D

Deleted User X18H

All the places near the South Downs, including tottington manor and the dog and shepherd, have become poncified overpriced wine bars. I can recommend the Cock or the Cricketers, but both are beyond Lewes, so a bit of a way for you to travel.
Dog and Shepherd sounds nice where is it?? I always get lumbered with the Shepherd and Dog at Fulking is this the Dog and Shepard I say 'The Dog and Shepherd f*** off you cvnt this is The Shepherd and Dog ........bastard Dog and Shepherd you tell em we are after em'!!!

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I would recommend driving to the Cock Inn off the A26 by Ringmer........simply in order to utter the immortal line to the unassuming lady on your left of "how far is the cock inn darling......?"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you can't be arsed to go country, the food at the Greenjackets in Shoreham (opposite Buckingham Park) has always been damn good in my experience. Nice little decking area and garden out the back as well.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tottington Mannor or whatever it is called is pretty soulless, food is quite good but no atmosphere in there really , better to just have a drink there imo

Don't know what you mean. They serve Wine yes, but a poncified Wine Bar ?. I think not. The original post stated somewhere out of the town with somewhere to sit outside.

What atmosphere is expected ?. There is a lovley beer garden where you can eat and drink outside with superb views and the indoor restaurant is, well, a restaurant where people sit and eat their meals.

They also had a fine array of very good looking young ladies working there last time I went.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
You sure you mean the Bear? whilst the food is good the view is not that brilliant! maybe the Wheel at Burwash Weald is the one you're thinking of?

Think you're getting your Burwash's mixed up. The Bear Inn at Burwash has a simply stunning view from the beer garden (must be seen in the Summer). I should know I've lived here all my life!!

473275053_00a8030db6.jpg

Last edited:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
not been for a year or so but the food at the Bull in Ditchling (on the crossroads) was always top notch - not too pricey and there is a nice beer garden.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I've always liked the Rose & Crown.

Has the Kicking Donkey closed?

Donkey closed years ago LB, yes the Rose and Crown is my favourite pub in the village as well. It always seems to kick off in the Bear at weekends with the yokels getting tanked up on Harveys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here