Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good Country Pub for Dinner Tonight..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sir Roger Tichbourne at Alfold Bars or the Blue Ship in The Haven if you want to venture up north a bit.

Is that the same Sir Roger Tichboune that is or rather was last time I looked, on the road from Alfold to Loxwood as I thought that it had closed down and been delicensed. When ever taking grandchildren home to Guildford The Alfold Barns always looks as if it is closed but displays a sign about Selsey Crabs being available so obviously isnt.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Another vote for Lewes is the Chalk pit inn. Turn left at the prison crossroads from Brighton and just follow the road for about 1.5 miles. seriously good food and Harveys :drink:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Went to a nice pub in Mellor once. They served Thwaites bitter but I didn't care as I drink lager.

Is that too far for you????

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Dog and Shepherd sounds nice where is it?? I always get lumbered with the Shepherd and Dog at Fulking is this the Dog and Shepard I say 'The Dog and Shepherd f*** off you cvnt this is The Shepherd and Dog ........bastard Dog and Shepherd you tell em we are after em'!!!
who cares, the place is a rip off, £7 for a tiny cheese baguette!

luke17

Oct 9, 2003
Sir Roger Tichbourne at Alfold Bars or the Blue Ship in The Haven if you want to venture up north a bit.

Roger Tichbourne is the most souless place i have been in for a long long time the staff are miserable the food was overpriced and the place had no character what so ever, now the Blue Ship on there other hand :drink::whisky:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You sure you mean the Bear? whilst the food is good the view is not that brilliant! maybe the Wheel at Burwash Weald is the one you're thinking of?

The view is great from the back of the Bear looking up to Brightling.

But the Rose and Crown is a much better pub, always has been always will be.

So much choice in Sussex, unfortunately there is only a single pub in London (but they do sell Harveys)

Last edited:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Is that the same Sir Roger Tichboune that is or rather was last time I looked, on the road from Alfold to Loxwood as I thought that it had closed down and been delicensed. When ever taking grandchildren home to Guildford The Alfold Barns always looks as if it is closed but displays a sign about Selsey Crabs being available so obviously isnt.
The Alford Barn;wasnt that once Phil Coliins local.

Probably because before he left his wife for the young girl and moved to Switzerland he had a house or more a mansion in Loxwood. He also drank in the Queen Victoria Shalford quite a lot.

Quite correct Brian; PC's pad in Loxwood is/was just down the road from Mike Rutherford's manor house in Drungewick.

The Tich re-opened at the beginning of April after years of being boarded up after the demise of King & Barnes - it's not to everyone's taste as someone else posted. The Blue Ship is an absolute gem though (as you probably know)?

Jan 30, 2008
Don't know what you mean. They serve Wine yes, but a poncified Wine Bar ?. I think not. The original post stated somewhere out of the town with somewhere to sit outside.

What atmosphere is expected ?. There is a lovley beer garden where you can eat and drink outside with superb views and the indoor restaurant is, well, a restaurant where people sit and eat their meals.

They also had a fine array of very good looking young ladies working there last time I went.
oh dear US ,we've fallen back to leering at young women again, any excuse eh?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I hope I will enjoy the beauty of Women until the day I have no pulse.

Its better than getting excited over 1940 Munich rallies.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
in the end I went to Cromwells at Golding Barn... which isn't exactly a dinner at a country pub, more a full blown 3 course meal at a restaurant.. but we'd been there before and the food had been top notch..

The view was excellent.. but

the beer was warm, the coke was flat, the steak was overcooked and a little tough, the scallops were cold, the goats cheese in some vegetable thing my mum had was way too strong and all of the portions were too small..

So I'm pretty sure they've lost a customer or two...

But the view was nice.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Should have tried the Shepherd and Dog.

Jan 30, 2008
in the end I went to Cromwells at Golding Barn... which isn't exactly a dinner at a country pub, more a full blown 3 course meal at a restaurant.. but we'd been there before and the food had been top notch..

The view was excellent.. but

the beer was warm, the coke was flat, the steak was overcooked and a little tough, the scallops were cold, the goats cheese in some vegetable thing my mum had was way too strong and all of the portions were too small..

So I'm pretty sure they've lost a customer or two...

But the view was nice.
what a complete waste of time :blush:

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Think you're getting your Burwash's mixed up. The Bear Inn at Burwash has a simply stunning view from the beer garden (must be seen in the Summer). I should know I've lived here all my life!!

473275053_00a8030db6.jpg

I bow to your superior knowledge, as I have only been in 3 or 4 times, and never made it as far as the Beer Garden.

I prefer the Swan at Woods Corner myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here