Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone ground the final days.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Make this thread a sticky so anyone too young at the time can get a glimpse of what happened.

Booley

Dec 23, 2004
East Acton
I remember the don't go in game. Had my season ticket with my Dad and Bro in the North stand but went in the West Stand as to not get abuse!! I was only about 7, really wish I could remember more from those days!
Any one remember the game where Munday scored from out side the area?

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I remember the don't go in game. Had my season ticket with my Dad and Bro in the North stand but went in the West Stand as to not get abuse!! I was only about 7, really wish I could remember more from those days!
Any one remember the game where Munday scored from out side the area?

Leicester away in the league cup? Seem to remember he did one at home too, but it's a pretty vague memory now...

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
and Caveman - that "don't go in" clip. I remember that very well and think that one of the blokes who got interviewed - Graham Talbot - lives near me. I see him at Withers often. Must say hello to him.

That game I felt we all really acheived one over on the old clubs owners. Not paying and then forcing our way in. Didn't a group Brighton fans then run over to the away supporters who then ran onto the pitch shook hands with the Albion fans and then ran across the pitch to take back the no-mans-land that Archer & Co had sectioned off.

Unreal, I remember the old West Stand being empty most of the final games as Bellotti would only let Season ticket holders in and made the no-mans-land around him - how crazy was that? Shows they just didn't care what the fans thought and were only out for what they could bleed out of the club.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was one of those who picketed the North Stand, then managed to get in via the mysteriously opened south east gate. I didn't go on to the pitch, but I do remember the love-in with the Mansfield fans on the pitch and in the re-claimed directors' box.

Marvellous scenes. A shame that it was necessary.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I was one of those who picketed the North Stand, then managed to get in via the mysteriously opened south east gate. I didn't go on to the pitch, but I do remember the love-in with the Mansfield fans on the pitch and in the re-claimed directors' box.

Marvellous scenes. A shame that it was necessary.

Wasn't there talk that a steward opened the gate? I remember everyone rushing to get through, the look on the away support when we flooded in and filled the old away section up was a picture. :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Wasn't there talk that a steward opened the gate? I remember everyone rushing to get through, the look on the away support when we flooded in and filled the old away section up was a picture. :)

I believe it was.

I also remember someone on behalf of the stewards at the time saying that if Bellotti turned up to games, they would walk out, effectively enforcing a cancellation of the game. Something like that.

Did he have ANY friends?

A short clip showing just part of the struggle the fans fought to save the Goldstone and kick out the old board.

Sorry its a bit poor quality, but still worth a watch while you can, make sure you wack the speaker up.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pajr_470pmk

Amazing times...thanks for that!

Watching that reminded me that I got a £60 fine heading home from Doncaster because I couldn't see the Police Volvo because of all of the Archer Out posters in my back window.....:angry:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Watching the Hereford game (the walkout one) sent a shiver down my spine. I remember going to that one, knowing there was some kind of signal to leave, but nobody knew what it would be. Then the fireworks went off, and there was a moment when people looked at each other, and started to walk. A few people stayed, while a few more wavered, but there can only have been about three hundred left, max. It was like the ultimate sacrifice for a fan, to walk out on the team (as opposed to skulking off a couple of minutes early to beat the traffic, or because we were just playing crap).

I remember wondering what on earth the players would have made of it, especially the Hereford ones, as it was a highly visible gesture.

It doesn't always feel like it, but maybe we have made some progress after all.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Albion fan Graham Talbot, in the Mansfield report, states he's making his protest by "not paying my eight quid to get in".

Eight quid?? :ohmy::cry:

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
A short clip showing just part of the struggle the fans fought to save the Goldstone and kick out the old board.

Sorry its a bit poor quality, but still worth a watch while you can, make sure you wack the speaker up.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pajr_470pmk

Feck me that takes me back. I'm in the first bit following Lloyd out of the high court (red baseball cap). Took the day off to go up believing the winding order would be the end of the club. We were so close to going under that day, only a few know just how close.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Albion fan Graham Talbot, in the Mansfield report, states he's making his protest by "not paying my eight quid to get in".

Eight quid?? :ohmy::cry:

In May 1997 litre of petrol was 24.7p now it is 99.9p (prices courtesy of bbc.co.uk) price rise of 4.04 times 1997.

Based on £ 8 a ticket at The Goldstone then in retrospect the price today should be £32.32 so it makes our entrance fee now of £25 seem quite cheap in relation.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I could be wrong, but I'd guess that the price of petrol is a poor comparison to make, as it's affected by so much more than merely inflation.

Tell me how much a loaf of bread, a pint of milk, or a trip to the cinema cost in 1997 relative today and I might believe you!

derek furlong

Mar 16, 2007
worthing
Direct Action

Direct Action is sometimes the only solution and i will always be proud of those who stood with me against those crooks.
Fireworks and Distress flares were ours.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
rest assured that they know. "if you all hate Bellotti" and "build a bonfire" is sung as heartily and as often in the family stand as it is in the South Stand - just without the swear words.

and Caveman - that "don't go in" clip. I remember that very well and think that one of the blokes who got interviewed - Graham Talbot - lives near me. I see him at Withers often. Must say hello to him.

It is indeed Doc Talbot but you won't see him at Withers often. Doc has some strange ideas and priniciples and won't watch a league game there (unless against QPR, his local team before he moved to Brighton). He will go to all Cup games so should be there next Wednesday.

When Albion are at home, Doc will go to a game somewhere in the Country and has done just about every ground in the UK down to County league level. He's even watched 4 games in a day!

Goes to all Albion away games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here