Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Okay. So desipte all your posts, you do not believe in the concept of a god, because their is no proof either way, and there will always be a possilbity that something "god like" exists, unless it can be disproved, which of course is impossbile. No one can ever prove that something that doesn't exist, doesn't exist. So your argument is not whether god exists or not, but whether it is possible for a god to exists? Right? Yes, no?

As I said I don't go for the whole concept of the "biblical god". Until people look past the concept of the god they have grown up hearing about then they will always be stuck thinking its some beareded guy in the sky.

And no I don't have an arguement. I have small theories on what might be out there and how it might operate. Thus why I stated perhaps the answer to any kind of understanding of its origins or existance may lay many years down the track through the field of physics.

So with that in mind, along the same lines, are you prepared to argue to the same extent, that a planet made of marshmellows exists in our galaxy, or that fire breathing dragons exists in caves at the bottom of the deepest oceans?

Both are possible, but either can be completely disproved. :rolleyes:

I don't argue, I discuss. Unlike some posting in this thread i'm not here to win or lose an arguement like a petulent child.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The more I read the bible the more it becomes impossible that there isn't a god. But the majority on here seem to worship the devil.

I'm the same, the more I read Peter James, the more I find it impossible that Superintendent Roy Grace isn't real.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Really ? No, I am very happy to be free of the dogma, ignorance and hypocracy of the Catholic Church. It's just rather sad that anybody can still swallow their bigoted lies. To be honest, it's you that's getting worked up as so many people think you're at the very least misguided.

You're not happy and nor are you free, otherwise you'd not keep posting the same repetitious jibes time after time surely?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I don't argue, I discuss. Unlike some posting in this thread i'm not here to win or lose an arguement like a petulent child.
So with that in mind, along the same lines, are you prepared to DISCUSS to the same extent, that a planet made of marshmellows exists in our galaxy, or that fire breathing dragons exists in caves at the bottom of the deepest oceans?

Both are possible, but either can be completely disproved.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I like the values that religion brings, but I just don't believe that there is a higher power that that right wrongs, cast judgement, create the world etc etc etc.

Working in Intensive Care has further taken me towards this opinion, as no God would put people through what they go through in there. Same applies when looking after dying patients.

A Jehovah's Witness once told me that my disability was a result of God punishing me for something that I or my parents have done. I don't want to believe that a God exists if that's the result.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was more refering to say someone who is angry punching someone in the head, this will cause either pain/fear etc in the other person.

Thus an equal and opposite (like)reaction will occur at that precise moment.
Even in that silly example, the anger and pain fear are not balance - obviously the damage done can vary greatly, irrespective of the anger involved. We now have technology to create bombs that could kill the worlds population, but we don't have a greater capacity for anger than we had in the stone age. You can't argue (whilst remaining credible) that one angry president would be perfectly balanced with the death, pain and suffering of a few bilion people if that president presed a load of buttons.
I believe "something" outside of our sphere of understanding had a hand in the construction of life on the planet.

I'm unsure on the whole omnipotent being existence(that's something that would probably never be known).

It could well be something that will eventually be tied into physics. As in the cosmos itself is a living being that can construct and deconstruct life.
I can understand that.

I'm a Christian(because I think the teachings of the person dubbed Christ are a good set of values to follow), but I don't see religion just being about a "god". It's about the community within those organisations who come together under that umbrella.
I also see many worthy aspects of other religions like Bhudism and the like.
Fair enough - but given what you believe (your two main points above), why are you wasting your time justifying the stories in the bible when you don't really believe them yourself?
This question wasn't put to me, but, yes, the emotions are constantly balanced. You can't understand what happiness is, if you have not experienced sadness, and vice versa. Everything is balance. Too much of any one thing is not good, be it cream cakes, poverty, handbags, violence or stupidity. You have to recognise the balance in your own life, to recognise that if you feel sad or bad today, you will feel good another day, so all is not lost.
While there is some balance in life, and it is difficult to experience the most happy times if you have never experienced sadness, you don't think it is a perfect balance do you? ie, everyone's happiness is exactly equal to the amount of sadness they have experienced?

Stupid boy, don't you know that's "God's Will" ? It's the universal response to anybody who makes that point. I must admit that two of my Born AGain Christian relatives had one of their twins tragically die at the age of two. They haven't been near a church since the child's funeral.

Their faith tested, they didn't come close to having the patience of a 'Job' according to the doctrine they seem to be turned away from.

According to biblical lore, the child that dies in birth is luckier than we who have the time and chances to stray from innocence and commit sins and crimes against the word. Perhaps the one dies that the others may live - yet they cannot know how that might have manifested.

Just conjecture mind, not my judgment or extrapolation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The more I read the bible the more it becomes impossible that there isn't a god. But the majority on here seem to worship the devil.
If you're going to read the Hebrew version, you should try and learn Hebrew first. More seriously though, can you give any examples of what you have read that makes you feel that there has to be a god?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So with that in mind, along the same lines, are you prepared to DISCUSS to the same extent, that a planet made of marshmellows exists in our galaxy, or that fire breathing dragons exists in caves at the bottom of the deepest oceans?

Both are possible, but either can be completely disproved.

If that's what you believe is possible then yes I can discuss it.

The only way you can do that though is by accepting not all scientific or biological principles that we hold as truths on this planet may apply else where in the cosmos.

Remove convential logic and anything is possible(if not always probable). The prime example of that on earth it the Hummingbird. Technically it shouldnt be able to fly (let alone fly backwards)given its wing movements. But it can.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
I think if we get this thread to longer than the Bithentee one then we should by then have an answer to the meaning of life, and Ty will be the record poster on NSC.

Ty: do you believe in the tooth fairy? lets see if we have some common ground here

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Fair enough - but given what you believe (your two main points above), why are you wasting your time justifying the stories in the bible when you don't really believe them yourself?

I'm not justifying them. I've called them parables all along. Every culture and belief system has used them in their teachings. I grew up in a western society but I bet I can recall 3-4 parables I heard as a kid that originated from asian cultures.

While there is some balance in life, and it is difficult to experience the most happy times if you have never experienced sadness, you don't think it is a perfect balance do you? ie, everyone's happiness is exactly equal to the amount of sadness they have experienced?

I don't think theres a perfect balance perse, more a healthy balance. Nothing is ultimately in the end perfect.

Lifes about finding that balance if it doesnt already exist.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
The prime example of that on earth it the Hummingbird. Technically it shouldnt be able to fly (let alone fly backwards)given its wing movements. But it can.

Are proposing that Hummingbirds use magic to fly? And I think you are confusing your inability to understand how a Hummingbird flies with it technically not being able to fly. God is very mysterious if he chose this 'prime' example to hide his magic

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think if we get this thread to longer than the Bithentee one then we should by then have an answer to the meaning of life, and Ty will be the record poster on NSC.

Ty: do you believe in the tooth fairy? lets see if we have some common ground here

I have no interest in pursuing the concept of the tooth fairy ;)

I do believe though that the concept of it can make children happy and Dwayne Johnson richer.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Are proposing that Hummingbirds use magic to fly? And I think you are confusing your inability to understand how a Hummingbird flies with it technically not being able to fly. God is very mysterious if he chose this 'prime' example to hide his magic

You're the only one who uses the term magic. f***ed if I know why.

The example of the Hummingbird is simple. It defies the logic that dictates how birds should fly. Out of every other bird on the planet it is the only one who does this.

Extrapolate that to life on other planets that could have evolved in an infinite amount of different ways and the posibility of a "dragon" in the sense of a large flying lizard like creature is a possibility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here