Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As Newton said "To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction".
Er, yeah, he wasn't talking about emotions though :)
Not that I disagree with your point about happiness and sadness etc.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Closed minded? lets examine the evidence of this

You:
believe in Christian god and will not change this view
don't believe in all other beliefts, such as Hinduism etc etc etc

Learn to read kid. Not once have I said I believe in the concept of the Christian God. I said I am interested in Chinese philosophy and the concept of Yin and yang and Newtons 3rd Law.

Face it, you're so keen seem like the "winner" you don't even read what's being written.

Me:
don't believe in any beliefts in gods, will happily change this view should evidence present itself (please send me some)

You mean you're too closed minded at present to explore the concept without someone else spoon feeding it to you.

Hopefully it's not the same clown who taught you single celled organisms have brains ;)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Of course, there are no facts in science, only measurements embedded with assumptions. Only religion claims to have facts requiring no proof. A scientist could never click 'God doesn't exist, FACT' given they have no way of proving this, therefore it would only be an assumption that he doesn't exist. Interestingly, the Higgs Boson particle is commonly referred to as the 'God Particle' for this reason, they can only at this stage believe in it's existence through gaps in other theories, as there is no way of proving it exists (yet). Even if they do prove it, this shouldn't be confused with a fact, it is an experimental proof based on data and a theoretical conclusion, as is the rest of science.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What's there to discuss with a mind like yours? You think single celled organisms have brains.
That's not what he said, he put inverted commas around 'brains' to show he wasn't being literal.

So what is it you believe Tyrone?
Are you a christian, and do you think that it's a fact that god exists?
Or do you think you may have got it slightly wrong, and actually one of the other religions is right and yours is wrong?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He might not have been talking about emotions, but it's quite amazing how it can be applied to almost all situations.
Ignoring the main discussion for a second, and looking at Newton's 3rd law - it really can't be applied to other situations. Not even a little bit.
Some people in the world are happy, others are sad, and one day the happy ones will have a sad moment, and most (not all) of the sad ones will be happy at some point. But Newton's law states that an equal and opposite reaction will occur at that precise moment, not some time in the future etc, and I don't suppose you're pretending that the emotions are constantly equally balanced are you?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Of course, there are no facts in science, only measurements embedded with assumptions. Only religion claims to have facts requiring no proof. A scientist could never click 'God doesn't exist, FACT' given they have no way of proving this, therefore it would only be an assumption that he doesn't exist. Interestingly, the Higgs Boson particle is commonly referred to as the 'God Particle' for this reason, they can only at this stage believe in it's existence through gaps in other theories, as there is no way of proving it exists (yet). Even if they do prove it, this shouldn't be confused with a fact, it is an experimental proof based on data and a theoretical conclusion, as is the rest of science.

You mean personal truths.

There's plenty of religious organisations that accept evolution for instance is not a myth. The issue is that the media focuses on those who won't accept it's relevance in the every changing face of the planet.

Even the Pope said evolution is more than just a hypothesis.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Jesus definately existed. God I'm not so sure.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Ignoring the main discussion for a second, and looking at Newton's 3rd law - it really can't be applied to other situations. Not even a little bit.
Some people in the world are happy, others are sad, and one day the happy ones will have a sad moment, and most (not all) of the sad ones will be happy at some point. But Newton's law states that an equal and opposite reaction will occur at that precise moment, not some time in the future etc, and I don't suppose you're pretending that the emotions are constantly equally balanced are you?

I wasn't actually tying Newton's law into emotions specifically in my original mention of it.

I was more refering to say someone who is angry punching someone in the head, this will cause either pain/fear etc in the other person.

Thus an equal and opposite (like)reaction will occur at that precise moment.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A scientist could never click 'God doesn't exist, FACT' given they have no way of proving this, therefore it would only be an assumption that he doesn't exist.

I took that option (and the first) to be more of an NSC-ism not intending that we mean fact. I know I took it more as "I don't believe God (as defined by religions) exists". (I also took the first option as "I believe God exists"). So many times on here opinions and estimates and predictions are presented with "Fact!" on th end when they are clearly not facts.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
That's not what he said, he put inverted commas around 'brains' to show he wasn't being literal.

So what is it you believe Tyrone?
Are you a christian, and do you think that it's a fact that god exists?
Or do you think you may have got it slightly wrong, and actually one of the other religions is right and yours is wrong?

I believe "something" outside of our sphere of understanding had a hand in the construction of life on the planet.

I'm unsure on the whole omnipotent being existence(that's something that would probably never be known).

It could well be something that will eventually be tied into physics. As in the cosmos itself is a living being that can construct and deconstruct life.

I'm a Christian(because I think the teachings of the person dubbed Christ are a good set of values to follow), but I don't see religion just being about a "god". It's about the community within those organisations who come together under that umbrella.
I also see many worthy aspects of other religions like Bhudism and the like.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Time is in some ways irrelevant as is did an actual jesus Christ exists.

It's the teachings that are the pivotal aspect in Christianity. Those teachings all occur within the New Testament.

What complicates it is when various denominations introduce laws of their own into the teaching and claim it as a law of Christ.

That is why I say christianity is simple, religion is what clouds its teachings.

But, don't all denominations of Christianity put their own laws and their own spin on christ's teaching (they have to, really, because there's no one around to tell them how literal the new testament is meant to be, or what is meant to be taken from the teachings), thus none of them are truly christian, by your definition?

Time may not be relevant to what Jesus's teachings were, but it is important to the accuracy of them and their intent. With every generation the story is passed on, giving more scope for inaccuracies and personal interpretation/accidental corruption.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Learn to read kid. Not once have I said I believe in the concept of the Christian God. I said I am interested in Chinese philosophy and the concept of Yin and yang and Newtons 3rd Law.

Face it, you're so keen seem like the "winner" you don't even read what's being written.

You mean you're too closed minded at present to explore the concept without someone else spoon feeding it to you.

Hopefully it's not the same clown who taught you single celled organisms have brains ;)

As had been pointed out below, I used inverted commas around 'brain', you may have misunderstood or missed that.

Replace "believe in Christian god" with "believe in [insert any faith/mysticism here]". The same logic follows, you still disagree with the other 1000s of theories out there that aren't your own.

I don't want to be spoon fed anything, I am very open minded, present me with any compelling and reproducible evidence and I will happily read it

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
As had been pointed out below, I used inverted commas around 'brain', you may have misunderstood or missed that.

Replace "believe in Christian god" with "believe in [insert any faith/mysticism here]". The same logic follows, you still disagree with the other 1000s of theories out there that aren't your own.

I don't want to be spoon fed anything, I am very open minded, present me with any compelling and reproducible evidence and I will happily read it

You contradict yourself.

Don't rely on others opinions to form your own.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
You contradict yourself.

Don't rely on others opinions to form your own.

Thats the point, I have formed my own and I think that all faiths are ridiculous, arrogant and laughable. I was giving you the chance to point me towards some evidence that might be at odds with this

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But, don't all denominations of Christianity put their own laws and their own spin on christ's teaching (they have to, really, because there's no one around to tell them how literal the new testament is meant to be, or what is meant to be taken from the teachings), thus none of them are truly christian, by your definition?

Time may not be relevant to what Jesus's teachings were, but it is important to the accuracy of them and their intent. With every generation the story is passed on, giving more scope for inaccuracies and personal interpretation/accidental corruption.

They sure do.

But it's the core values and teachings that are the corner stone of most religions.

If you follow his teachings and ignore certain aspects of the religion in questions rules it might mean you're not a "insert denomination" but you're still a Christian.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You mean personal truths.

There's plenty of religious organisations that accept evolution for instance is not a myth. The issue is that the media focuses on those who won't accept it's relevance in the every changing face of the planet.

Even the Pope said evolution is more than just a hypothesis.

Evolution is not a fact, it is a hypothesis backed by empirical study and data. As I said, there are no facts in science, only measurements proving theories. Newton's Laws always had holes in them as exposed by Einstein, as did Einstein's own, as is now being proved through experiment. But these are not facts, these are the evolution of science.

Even Darwin knew his conclusions were only a theory, but the Pope has to know this to be more than a hypothesis because ultimately, God has to have been behind it from religions point of view.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Thats the point, I have formed my own and I think that all faiths are ridiculous, arrogant and laughable. I was giving you the chance to point me towards some evidence that might be at odds with this

As I said to someone else, exploring spirituality is always a good place to start.

Spirituality can be studied as a seperate concept from religion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here