Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeeper on Trial

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
What most of you have missed is that gk coach Paul Crichton has been signed on and I think he would play before Sullivan,

Hi BrightonBear,

That's a very interesting first post - welcome to NSC!

Is that really so he could play in an emergency or for some other reason ? and what makes you think that would be ahead of Sullivan ?

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
I found out the other day that the FA fee's and fines apply across the board. I was under the impression that prem footballers would get fined massively for a red/yellow card - but they pay the same as a 16 year old playing for his local Sunday side. This must be true of the signing on fee to the FA too then. It's the clubs themselves that impose/create fines of certain financial levels depending on the pay structure of the players they have and the inter-club transfer fees.

Dean Cox must be sick and tired of paying 15p for each booking.........

brightonbear

Jan 2, 2008
Hi BrightonBear,

That's a very interesting first post - welcome to NSC!

Is that really so he could play in an emergency or for some other reason ? and what makes you think that would be ahead of Sullivan ?

Thanks for the welcome, I think Cryts has been signed for a bit of both your reasons but I'm guessing a bit, and why do I think that......well I suppose I'm guessing a bit about that as well )))))). :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I found out the other day that the FA fee's and fines apply across the board. I was under the impression that prem footballers would get fined massively for a red/yellow card - but they pay the same as a 16 year old playing for his local Sunday side. This must be true of the signing on fee to the FA too then. It's the clubs themselves that impose/create fines of certain financial levels depending on the pay structure of the players they have and the inter-club transfer fees.

Dean Cox must be sick and tired of paying 15p for each booking.........

£8.00

brightonbear

Jan 2, 2008
Paul Crichton

He was a free agent and therefore would only have cost the registration fee for the club to sign him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I would disagree about the goal keeping position in as much as I do not think that Kuipers is the goalkeeper all on here make him out to be. The first thing to do is stop conceeding goals, Brian Clough always said a good goalkeeper will save and earn you 20 points a season. Kuipers will not do that. It is inevitable that MK is going to get injured or more likely sent off in the forseeable future. From what I have seen of Sullivan in the res he isnt ready yet so the only alternative is bring in a keeper who is better than MK as No 1 and keep MK for back up.

So, what do you base your low opinion of Kuipers on? His overall performance this season (and in previous seasons where he has been number one) has been very good, and certainly better than that clown, Henderson, who cost us many points when he was down here... the bottom-line is that a backup keeper should be fourth at best on our priority list, behind a creative midfielder, a striker to play olongside Forster (Revell good but not great, IMHO), and, because Wendy clearly doesn't rate Rents, a left-back... guess what? We just lost 3 players in those positions!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Made more hesitant by it appearred, as on many occassions to have little confidence in their keeper.

Sorry cannot agree with the 20 points bearing in mind Clough was talking when a win was 2 points so that is 10 wins today that would be 30 points and there is no way on this earth that MK's performances will give us 10 extra wins.

The injury side I will just about agree with, but I think that the way he charges out of his area etc he will soon be red carded, as he could have been at Millwall by another ref. Or today, had he been fractionally later with his hacked clearance from the bad El Abd back pass and had he caught the player that would have been a cert red.

Kuipers has been a primary contributor to previous successful seasons, and is doing very well this season... stop banging on about an old Clough quote...

To blame the FDM for the poor defending against Bournemouth is just ridiculous; the ball should have been cleared by our defenders (not Kupiers) in the lead-up to both their goals...

So, let me get this straight, you are saying that the FDM is a liability because he saved a certain goal by rushing out to cover El-Abd's latest bad backpass?

You need to be more balanced about Kuipers and the need for a replacement or otherwise... a new keeper is a relatively low priority...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Kuipers has been a primary contributor to previous successful seasons, and is doing very well this season... stop banging on about an old Clough quote...

To blame the FDM for the poor defending against Bournemouth is just ridiculous; the ball should have been cleared by our defenders (not Kupiers) in the lead-up to both their goals...

So, let me get this straight, you are saying that the FDM is a liability because he saved a certain goal by rushing out to cover El-Abd's latest bad backpass?

You need to be more balanced about Kuipers and the need for a replacement or otherwise... a new keeper is a relatively low priority...

Whilst he is not perfect(shown this season) I will be the first to admit he is doing fine this season and A goal Keeper is low on the list (unless its someone good enough to become the new first choice either now or future - eg Ben Roberts)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You wish you are!!!

As regards the El Abd back pass I do not know where you sit to watch and pontificate, but my seat is halfway between the penalty box and half way line at the end that the incident occurred and about 3 rows back so I can assure you that I had a very good view of the incident and MK came, stopped, and came again and just about nicked the ball. It was if he wasnt sure and then decided shit or bust I have to get it.

That's not how I saw it... I was level with El-Abd in the North Stand when he made his error... El-Abd's mistake, and not his first bad backpass... the FDM did very well to get there first... how can you possibly criticise the FDM for El-Abd's cock-up... he was obviously grateful to Kuipers for saving his bacon...

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Whilst he is not perfect(shown this season) I will be the first to admit he is doing fine this season and A goal Keeper is low on the list (unless its someone good enough to become the new first choice either now or future - eg Ben Roberts)

exactly - if we signed players at left back, striker AND midfield, then getting someone like flinders, who would be a big improvement, would make sense

however, wasting money on a back up keeper when we clearly need strenghtening in other positions would be completely ludicrous

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
is kuipers good enough for this league = yes
do we have a decent, natural left back in the sqaud = no
do we have enough cover in the midfield = no
what if forster gets injured/revell yesterday was a flash in the pan. would we be ok going forward = no

think that sums up where our priorities should be in this window - sort out those three positions and if there is any money left then get a keeper. if we are signing a keeper, who at this moment in time wont even be on the bench instead of those positions in which we need replacements/backup at the LEAST, then it could be a long hard season

Gotta gree with most of that...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
a striker to play olongside Forster (Revell good but not great, IMHO), QUOTE]

I think Revell is twice the play that Savage is and Forster will suit him more than Savage due to Revell being better with the ball at his feet.

Maybe, but I would like us to sign someone else to better complement Forster... we have a few good but not great strikers... I would be happy to see 2 of those leave, and be replaced by someone with a good track record in league 1...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My major critiscism of Kuipers is that he makes the easy run of the mill everyday saves look like world class by rolling around the 6 yd box in order to impress the fans and be a fans favourite. This was first pointed out to me by MA when I once suggested to him that MK had saved us during a game. To quote the great man 'that is what he is paid for and if he didnt make those sort of saves he wouldnt be in the team'. His distribution is appalling as he doesnt know when or where to kick or even occassionally throw the ball out to start an attack. His punching of crosses is only 50% successful. He doesnt use his strength or weight to get to balls that are crossed from the wings to thus dominate his 6yd box.

He may not have been responsible for the 2 goals against Bournemouth, although I would have expected him to have reacted better but he was equally responsible with El Abd and Lynch for the 2 headed goals against Millwall when any one of the 3 could have taken command and dealt with the crosses, he stayed on his line and justy watched them go in. I didnt go to Yeovil but am told that 1 of their goals came asa result ofa bad punch as I have highlighted above.

Finally he isnt and never will be as good as Henderson who was forced out of the club by morons who didnt like their favourite getting justified stick.

I think that we need another keeper who is better than MK and make him the back up, a 28 + year old central midfielder with 8 or 10 years league experience. Marc Bircham or similar, and the same criteria for a strike partner to Forster with the addition of being over 6ft tall.

QPR are buying players what about the players that they are replacing in the Championship.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
My major critiscism of Kuipers is that he makes the easy run of the mill everyday saves look like world class by rolling around the 6 yd box in order to impress the fans and be a fans favourite. This was first pointed out to me by MA when I once suggested to him that MK had saved us during a game. To quote the great man 'that is what he is paid for and if he didnt make those sort of saves he wouldnt be in the team'. His distribution is appalling as he doesnt know when or where to kick or even occassionally throw the ball out to start an attack. His punching of crosses is only 50% successful. He doesnt use his strength or weight to get to balls that are crossed from the wings to thus dominate his 6yd box.

He may not have been responsible for the 2 goals against Bournemouth, although I would have expected him to have reacted better but he was equally responsible with El Abd and Lynch for the 2 headed goals against Millwall when any one of the 3 could have taken command and dealt with the crosses, he stayed on his line and justy watched them go in. I didnt go to Yeovil but am told that 1 of their goals came asa result ofa bad punch as I have highlighted above.

Finally he isnt and never will be as good as Henderson who was forced out of the club by morons who didnt like their favourite getting justified stick.

I think that we need another keeper who is better than MK and make him the back up, a 28 + year old central midfielder with 8 or 10 years league experience. Marc Bircham or similar, and the same criteria for a strike partner to Forster with the addition of being over 6ft tall.

QPR are buying players what about the players that they are replacing in the Championship.

You have your opinion of FDM, and I will keep mine... there is zero evidence to suggest Hendo was a good player for us... his biggest failing being that he consistently patted the ball out to onrushing strikers instead of catching the ball or pushing it round the post or over the bar... he cost us point after point, which is why the fans turned on him... he was kept at number one for far too long... I for one am gald he left and grateful we got money for him... we now have a better player as our number one... it would be nice if you took the blinkers off and recognised that he has played very well for us this eason, and was a major contributor to our last 3 successful seasons...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I note that you have taken the time to raise the bad points in your opinion of Henderson, but avoided any reference to the faults that I have highlighted about Kuipers or any of the other suggestions as to our needs.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I note that you have taken the time to raise the bad points in your opinion of Henderson, but avoided any reference to the faults that I have highlighted about Kuipers or any of the other suggestions as to our needs.

Kuipers only fault worth mentioning is his distribution, and even that has improved... improvement is something Hendo never demonstrated...

If you read my earlier posts you will see that we are largely in agreement on our other needs... I just see them as far higher priority than another keeper...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here