Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeeper on Trial

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
My god, what an imbecile we have on our hands here. I didn't call Wilkins a mug, I said he WOULD be a mug (ie in the future) if he chooses to sign a goalkeeper at the expense of another player we obviously need more. I didn't call you pathetic, although I'm changing my mind now, I said your "broken finger nail" stuff was pathetic. Kuipers is not an injury prone player, in that he doesn't regularly miss games. He's just had 2-3 BIG injuries in his time here which have resulted in 9 months out. That doesn't mean he's going to have another one. I really think you're wrong on the keeper thing. If Kuipers gets injured 24 hours before a game, we WOULD sign someone. Every club in the Prem/Championship has 3+ keepers, and numerous younger ones, so we would certainly find ourselves someone. It's the one position you can always rely on getting someone for, so a club with our finances should NOT be wasting money on paying two people for a one man job.

So, to conclude, maybe you should learn to read before you start throwing the expletives around:tosser:

Actually if there is anybody talking bollocks on here it is you, every f***ing time something happens we get your pompous whinging, whether it be the chariman, manager or the f***ing weather (Didn't you start a thread on that one claiming that it was blatantly obvious to everybody when you'd failed to mention it at all in any of your postings on the subject during the day?).

I could probably lay odds on you being the first to start a thread whinging if Kuipers got injured or suspended, Sullivan messes up and Wilkins didn't have a keeper with any experience on standby. Competition for places is good, it keeps everybody on their toes and ensures they push themselves to keep their place, keepers included. Your statement about getting any keeper is also ridiculous, the ones you might want aren't always available and you could end up with another David Yelldell because that is all there is.

Bugger, I've just broken one of my resolutions not to get involved in a slanging match with this self-righteous, pompous know it all. Time for beer and bed.

ps. It might be your opinion which I believe is your standard answer to all this, but in my opinion you've always been pretty clueless about the nuts and bolts of the game, so there.

**And breathe**

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would disagree about the goal keeping position in as much as I do not think that Kuipers is the goalkeeper all on here make him out to be. The first thing to do is stop conceeding goals, Brian Clough always said a good goalkeeper will save and earn you 20 points a season. Kuipers will not do that. It is inevitable that MK is going to get injured or more likely sent off in the forseeable future. From what I have seen of Sullivan in the res he isnt ready yet so the only alternative is bring in a keeper who is better than MK as No 1 and keep MK for back up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I would disagree about the goal keeping position in as much as I do not think that Kuipers is the goalkeeper all on here make him out to be. The first thing to do is stop conceeding goals, Brian Clough always said a good goalkeeper will save and earn you 20 points a season. Kuipers will not do that. It is inevitable that MK is going to get injured or more likely sent off in the forseeable future.

A few things there.

One, he had a very hesitant defence in front of him today that no amount of talking to would sort out. Second, Kuipers is well capable of 'earning us 20 points'. He made a coulpe of very good saves again today. I can't help it if you won't acknowledge that. Thirdly, it is no more inevitable that Kuipers will get injured that any other keeper would. He has, for instance, been injury-free for nigh on two years now.

Apart from that, another world-class post. :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Made more hesitant by it appearred, as on many occassions to have little confidence in their keeper.

Sorry cannot agree with the 20 points bearing in mind Clough was talking when a win was 2 points so that is 10 wins today that would be 30 points and there is no way on this earth that MK's performances will give us 10 extra wins.

The injury side I will just about agree with, but I think that the way he charges out of his area etc he will soon be red carded, as he could have been at Millwall by another ref. Or today, had he been fractionally later with his hacked clearance from the bad El Abd back pass and had he caught the player that would have been a cert red.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Secondly, I think he has been told to come out for everything. He seems to be charging out as soon as the ball hits the 18 yard line these days - something he NEVER used to do. However, you cannot blame him for getting sent off if it comes from an inept piece of play like El Abd's backpass today - that's just bad luck.

That is more reason to have a reliable No 2 on the bench, bad luck or not he will still get sent off and we will be without a keeper. If the club have told him to rush out then they should be prepared for a red card.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Made more hesitant by it appearred, as on many occassions to have little confidence in their keeper.

That I can guarantee for a fact is 24-carat bollocks.

Or today, had he been fractionally later with his hacked clearance from the bad El Abd back pass and had he caught the player that would have been a cert red.
:thud:

And if my granny had bollocks, she'd have been my grandad.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That I can guarantee for a fact is 24-carat bollocks.

:thud:

And if my granny had bollocks, she'd have been my grandad.

You are pedantic waste of space aren't you.

If you ever went to school you would be able to read that I said it APPEARRED not definite, that the defence had no confidence in him.
2nd a fraction later in the hesitating that he showed in coming out for the ball would have been a red card. No ifs and trying to quote Liam Brady.

If you are going to go down your usual route of trying to belittle people, in an attempt to win or score a point make sure that you are right first.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You are pedantic waste of space aren't you.

If you ever went to school you would be able to read that I said it APPEARRED not definite, that the defence had no confidence in him.
2nd a fraction later in the hesitating that he showed in coming out for the ball would have been a red card. No ifs and trying to quote Liam Brady.

If you are going to go down your usual route of trying to belittle people, in an attempt to win or score a point make sure that you are right first.

I might be a waste of space, Brian, but I'm the smartest waste of space you'll ever come across.

You clearly watched a different game to me, because I saw Michel commanding his area, clearly heard him shouting to his defence (not difficult at Withdean, and not that they always listened) and looking confident in all areas of his game. It's interesting that while everyone else has got a downer on the defensive performance, it's only you that's happy to blame Michel.

I didn't see any hesitation from Michel in clearing up El-Abd's back-pass. He was always going to be the winner for that ball, and he made sure he got it. The issue about the possibility of it being late is pointless, because you could apply that to any tackle made by any player.

I didn't think it was possible for a mere 30-something to belittle a 70-something wise old soak like yourself...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I might be a waste of space, Brian, but I'm the smartest waste of space you'll ever come across.

You wish you are!!!

As regards the El Abd back pass I do not know where you sit to watch and pontificate, but my seat is halfway between the penalty box and half way line at the end that the incident occurred and about 3 rows back so I can assure you that I had a very good view of the incident and MK came, stopped, and came again and just about nicked the ball. It was if he wasnt sure and then decided shit or bust I have to get it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I do hate people who wont change their minds on a player, if Kuipers had the best game ever, people would still criticize him.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
You wish you are!!!

As regards the El Abd back pass I do not know where you sit to watch and pontificate, but my seat is halfway between the penalty box and half way line at the end that the incident occurred and about 3 rows back so I can assure you that I had a very good view of the incident and MK came, stopped, and came again and just about nicked the ball. It was if he wasnt sure and then decided shit or bust I have to get it.

Who cares how he arrived there?

He was off the mark very quickly, he got there, cleared and saved a certain goal.

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?

It was excellent keeping.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Kuipers has done OK this season and with what we've got deserves the No1. As we are not going up this season Kuipers is as good as we need. I would like to think Sullivan is good enough for cover but don't get the feeling that the club thinks so. If not then we need a new keeper and Kuipers needs competition to keep him on his toes. We don't know how much money would be involved to bring a keeper in so let's not jump to conclusions. I think both sides of the fence on this thread are getting a little hot under the collar.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You wish you are!!!

That's pretty much where we sit too... and I'm with TLO on this one... MK had a decent game, and that incident in particular, he reacted quickly to a very poor back pass and dealt with it extremely well.

He also made a couple of really decent saves, and his kicking was as good as I can remember.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here