Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goal Line Ref

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Surely that farcical incident in 2nd half of England v Sweden proves having an extra ref behind goal doesn't work.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I thought the goal line ref gave the correct decision calling it back ??? assuming its the corner we gave away you are on about

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Surely that farcical incident in 2nd half of England v Sweden proves having an extra ref behind goal doesn't work.

I'm not a fan of goal-line officials but it was actually proof that they work.

The confusing thing for us watching is they don't make any signals with their arms or with a flag they just speak into a mike.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Why do they stand the same side as the Lino though? Surely they'd be better the other side.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Looked liked ref behind goal didn't give it, if he spoke to ref on ear piece fair enough. Even so why not just bring in goal line tech to take away human error?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Looked liked ref behind goal didn't give it, if he spoke to ref on ear piece fair enough. Even so why not just bring in goal line tech to take away human error?

I don't think the goal line ref gives decisions through jestures but by speaking to the ref through his hand free kit.

How would goal line technology have proved if it was a corner or not ???

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I think the goal line officials are there purely for goal line decisions and for nothing else

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Because nothing about the officials ever makes sense. For example, when Spain play Rep of Ireland would you put in a Portuguese ref?

If England played Spain and the ref is a Scot, would the Spanish think the ref is likely to be biased to the English?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine if he hadn't have given it.

He was nearer the ball than Joe Hart.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Why do they stand the same side as the Lino though? Surely they'd be better the other side.

I can only assume it's because the ref always tends to run the diagonal, so you have the linesman and goal-line ref occupying the other side together. What's more, the lino obviously keeps up with the second-to-last defender, whereas the goal-line official will always remain rooted to the by-line, so there will very rarely be a time when the lino's view is blocked. I say this as a (not that good) ref myself, so it's only a guess.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think the goal line officials are there purely for goal line decisions and for nothing else

From the UEFA site

The additional assistant referees are being deployed at UEFA EURO 2012 as part of a continuing experiment, authorised by football's lawmakers, the International Football Association Board (IFAB). The additional assistants stand on the goal line and help the referee in the decision-making process, especially with regard to penalty-area incidents.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I can only assume it's because the ref always tends to run the diagonal, so you have the linesman and goal-line ref occupying the other side together. What's more, the lino obviously keeps up with the second-to-last defender, whereas the goal-line official will always remain rooted to the by-line, so there will very rarely be a time when the lino's view is blocked. I say this as a (not that good) ref myself, so it's only a guess.

Good point, it does take away that ridiculous criticism of a Lino not making a goal line call when he's correctly in line with last defender. Have to say its working, no dodgy goals or penalties yet.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It's the first time I can recall one of the extra officials actually making a decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here