Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goal Line Ref

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I thought it was the ref who pulled it back, and the guy behind the goal who let play carry on. What's wrong with using Hawkeye... I just don't get it

You are aware that several systems are being tested at the moment and therefore haven't yet been proven to accurate although one hopes they will. However, they are only being tested to determine whether a goal is scored or not,not if the ball goes over the goal line for a corner or goal kick.

I think the goal line officials are there purely for goal line decisions and for nothing else

I think someone else has already mentioned it but it is also any incidents in the penalty area. They inform the ref via a mike and make no gestures.

If England played Spain and the ref is a Scot, would the Spanish think the ref is likely to be biased to the English?

I think any country who consistently gives top marks to their neighbour in the Eurovision song contest should be banned from having one of their referees involved in any football game involving that next door country.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
Seemed to me that he had no idea if the ball had crossed the line and turned to the lino for assistance

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I thought it was the ref who pulled it back, and the guy behind the goal who let play carry on. What's wrong with using Hawkeye... I just don't get it

Thee ref coulnd't have given it, he was 40 yards away and appearing to carry on with play. It looked to me like he called it back only after he was told through his ear-piece - presumably from the line-lino. Why the guy didn't just put a flag up I don't know (do the goallines guys have flags ?). I was surprised how far over the line if was seeing the replay, wasn't even close.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
It was the correct decision he buzzed his little stick the ref gave the corner job done. Hawkeye cannot be implemented in lower league football so therefore you cannot just give it to big clubs the ref on the line could be put into use at lower level thats why Fifa and Uefa are keen to keep technology out.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think Woodchip was suggested a Portuguese ref wasn't the best idea as they don't like Spanish..not the other way around.

Daft suggestion. Imagine if you couldn't have a referee from a neighbouring country in European competition. Germany wouldn't be allowed officials from France, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, Denmark, Luxembourg, the Netherlands or the Czech Republic. If you were talking World Cups, Russia has land borders with fourteen different countries, plus political history with half the planet.

Would a French referee give a toss who won a game between us and Spain?

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
Daft suggestion. Imagine if you couldn't have a referee from a neighbouring country in European competition. Germany wouldn't be allowed officials from France, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, Denmark, Luxembourg, the Netherlands or the Czech Republic. If you were talking World Cups, Russia has land borders with fourteen different countries, plus political history with half the planet.

Would a French referee give a toss who won a game between us and Spain?

and Belgium. Why do people always forget Belgium?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Fortunately. :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure I heard the commentators mention an offside before the ball was struck so therefore the 'goal' wouldn't have stood anyway. Great 'goal line' clearance from Terry in any case. If there was an offside, then the line official wouldn't have been asked if it was over.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Hawkeye and another competing system are in final testing phase with FIFA, and are being trialled before being fully released.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I'm sure I heard the commentators mention an offside before the ball was struck so therefore the 'goal' wouldn't have stood anyway.

It would, because the lino was also so damned useless he missed it.
It wasn't even a close decision, he was a good yard offside.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Clearly they don't work but Ueafa won't let that get in the way of their policies.

What staggers me even more is that they stand on the same side of the goal as the lino at that end. So instead of having a view from both sides, the extra official gets in the way of the lino so if he gets it wrong,there's no second opinion!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here