Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hypocrites are aplenty on here, I must agree. I go with consistency as that what people would prefer, wouldn't they???

When you are at the level of earnings of that of a modern-day professional footballer, the location should not matter a jot.

Mayo, Wilkins, Hart would all trump Glenn for Albion legends and a dozen more would.

Nonsense.

Some players move for money and some do (or don't) for family reasons. Look at Calderwood. Glenn didn't really want to leave Brighton the club but he certainly didn't want another issue with asking an other half to move after what he'd been through following his move here from Rochdale. That's from a talk with his Mrs's family by the way.

In any case the difference between Brighton and Palace wages is negligible. Once you're over 10k a week it's all fine margins until you hit silly contracts. If he'd been offered (say) 250k a week and a five year contract in Barcelona it may be that Mrs Murray would have been calling Pickfords before you could say Lionel Messi.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I was absolutely devastated when Glenn was allowed to leave and stated as much on a thread at the time, That final year at Withdean was phenomenal, work rate, positioning, goal scoring he was superb. Then every time he turned out against us he seemed to score and this just rubbed salt into my emotional wounds and i remember thinking during his many visits how much i wished he'd just 'effing' retire. When he finally returned and again started to score for us i prayed he'd play on for ever and never retire, He's not at fault, just bad decision making from club and management at the time, so never held it personally against him and all's well that ends well. he is the best striker of his type (target man) I've seen in the stripes and I've seen a few. Just a shame that time is catching up with him now, but still a hero for us.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Look at the stats over his career. His Brighton career stumps all the rest hands down. Its Palace who should be thankful to us they borrowed him for a time when our management at the time were not prepared to give him a decent new contract, he came back though to his favourite club to finish his career.

All good from me, I've forgiven him and even respect him for not celebrating goals against his former employers, us & them.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Blimey. That was like reading a bit of Jane Austin :mad:

Ha, I will take that as a massive complement.

Oh, and god bless Glenn Murray by the way. Right up there with Bruno and Dunk as the kings of new Albion.
I would put Bobby on a slightly lower tier to those three.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The sale of GM to Palace was the turning point in my opinion of Gus Poyet. That piece of business and the need to spunk £3m on CMS as a replacement to fuel his ego where when the warning alarms started ringing. If we’d kept Glen we’d have gone up at least two seasons earlier imo and Palace still wouldn’t be there now!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The player we most needed to sign after Murray left in 2011. Absolute top class professional and very crafty/clever. My favourite player of the last decade.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
No grudge from me.im sure we would have got in the premier League sooner had Murray stayed but we would have come straight back down in those days.gutted he went to palace but he returned to us at the right time to get us up and keep us up.it all worked out well in the end.Glenn Murray=Bhafc legend.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Murray when we beat Forest 3-0 on a Friday night was a fine performance of the ability to wind up the opposition and help them lose their focus
That and the freezing cold 2-1 beating of the Massive are the Friday two evening games I remember most from that time

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought he said he was offered a 2 year deal and wanted a 3 year deal. So if he’d accepted the 2 year deal he would have played on under Poyet.

It wasn’t that. The actual weekly pay offer was very low compared to Championship levels, whereas CP were willing to pay Muzza the going rate.

Whether it was Bloom’s fault or Poyet’s, Poyet revealed pay as the cause in an Argus interview in 2013 or 2014 when he mentioned the “two budgets” restrictions on him. He was in effect blaming Bloom, claiming he wasn’t given a large enough payroll budget to keep Muzza.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
His choices after leaving were more down to wanting to keep living in Brighton I imagine. Can't really blame a northerner for loving our fair city and county!

That said until he came back, some of the choices SLIGHTLY counted against him it's true. Especially when he was actually playing and scoring against us. Less so when he was in a different league.

If he went down 30% in legend status though upon leaving, I think he made back 25 of it just by returning and has since earnt another 60 or so taking him comfortably into the Zamora bracket since.

seapigeon

Banned
May 1, 2020
I was disappointed when he left and often wondered if more could have been done to keep him, but he is a Legend

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Just a shame that his goals took a side that were bottom of the Championship, to the PL in 8 months. Their injury-time winner against Peterborough sneaked them into the playoffs, where they beat Watford.

If it hadn't been for Glenn, those muppets would still be languishing in the Championship.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here