Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
I hold nothing against him for finding a new club after we allowed his contract to expire. He was given a better offer which decided not to match, I'm unsure why however I completely understand why we broke our transfer record to sign CMS who at the time modelled all of the attributes we were looking for in a striker.

Having said that in the early 00's I was a huge fan of Zamora for his ability on the pitch and his charisma off of it, he very quickly got legend status because he seemingly could do everything we wanted a striker to do. Murray has never gripped my heart in the same way despite his clear eye for goal and I'm unsure why

I agree, but we are lucky to have both legends play together a few times

D

Deleted member 2719

Glenn is the biggest legend the club has had in the past 20-25 years, along with Bobby Zamora.

He could have been, but he made one massive mistake.

To be fair he has done his best to smudge the stain of going to palarse but it will always be there.

Bobby Z has no stains and puts Murray in the shade for Albion heroes and always will.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hindsight has proved what a terrible mistake the club made in 2011 in not giving him the contract he deserved. He wouldn't have gone on to join Palace if the club had not messed up.

That said, I think he made a mistake joining Palace. I was angry at the time, I'm not angry any more though I maintain he made the wrong move then. With us he managed 25 Prem goals in 2 seasons whilst in his mid-30s; imagine what he could have done with the right club, rather than the 11 goals he managed in 3 top-flight seasons with Palace and Bmuff on loan.

D

Deleted member 2719

Hindsight has proved what a terrible mistake the club made in 2011 in not giving him the contract he deserved. He wouldn't have gone on to join Palace if the club had not messed up.

That said, I think he made a mistake joining Palace. I was angry at the time, I'm not angry any more though I maintain he made the wrong move then. With us he managed 25 Prem goals in 2 seasons whilst in his mid-30s; imagine what he could have done with the right club, rather than the 11 goals he managed in 3 top-flight seasons with Palace and Bmuff on loan.

I agree with most of what your saying but Glenn ultimately made the decision and if he was that confident in his ability he would have waited for a decent club to go to.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Glenn was pushed out and I suspect Charlie Oatway had some influence there. He was always moaning about Glenn being in second gear.
As for Palace, he is not a fan, he is a pro footballer. Didn’t have to move house so was probably a no-brainer from his POV.
Still it’s over now and has ended well as far as I am concerned.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Gus Poyet was a bit like Jose Mourinho, Takes a dislike to good players. the only problem I had with Murray leaving was Poyet letting him.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Annoyed we pushed Glenn out. Never held his spell up there against him, not his fault. Delighted he came back and is home again.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
To think we got promoted with Murray, Barnes and wood who are all playing Premier League? Then Poyet replaced them with CMS and the lad from Bristol Rovers? That worked well.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Glenn is the biggest legend the club has had in the past 20-25 years, along with Bobby Zamora.

And Lewis Dunk , of course.
Plus I’m taking it Bruno is classed as demigod rather than legend.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To think we got promoted with Murray, Barnes and wood who are all playing Premier League? Then Poyet replaced them with CMS and the lad from Bristol Rovers? That worked well.

The lad from Rovers was made of chocolate. Did he ever play and finish a first team game?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How many of you lot calling him a legend now were once laughing and calling him "one in ten Glenn (copyright NSC clique)" and saying he was useless and didn't care because he didn't wave enough? NSC is full of hypocrisy.

Laconic and lazy, you missed that.

League One Berbatov too

One In Ten Glenn rests 100% on THPP’s shoulders

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I never had a problem with Murray going to Palace, other than I was sorry to see him leave the club fullstop.

He's a professional footballer, not a STH.

This

He could have been, but he made one massive mistake.

To be fair he has done his best to smudge the stain of going to palarse but it will always be there.

Bobby Z has no stains and puts Murray in the shade for Albion heroes and always will.

No he did not make a mistake. He'd just got a new Mrs down here after a divorce and his Mrs didn't want to leave Brighton. He took a job that was the easiest to commute to and still see his family as anyone would. I've taken jobs in East Croydon before because it's a 45 min commute from my house. Blame Poyet for letting him go.

How many of you lot calling him a legend now were once laughing and calling him "one in ten Glenn (copyright NSC clique)" and saying he was useless and didn't care because he didn't wave enough? NSC is full of hypocrisy.

Well why don't you show us the quotes that back that up. Then you'll know, won't you?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Look on the bright side we're not the only fans who missed him when he left. I've seen both Palace and Bournemouth fans wishing they still had him since he came home.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
No grudges here.

Hail Sir Glenn. Instrumental in 2 important promotions and PL survival into his 30’s. Legend.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

It feels like almost every thread is polluted with you challenging people’s views, what’s the matter with you?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
And Lewis Dunk , of course.
Plus I’m taking it Bruno is classed as demigod rather than legend.

Bruno even looks like a God! Lol. I forgot him. And Dunk will attain that status when he retires. I am guilty of regarding Murray as already retired.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here