Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Bruno even looks like a God! Lol. I forgot him. And Dunk will attain that status when he retires. I am guilty of regarding Murray as already retired.

Easy to forget Bruno’s contribution to the Albion tbf :lol::lol::lol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This

No he did not make a mistake. He'd just got a new Mrs down here after a divorce and his Mrs didn't want to leave Brighton. He took a job that was the easiest to commute to and still see his family as anyone would. I've taken jobs in East Croydon before because it's a 45 min commute from my house. Blame Poyet for letting him go.

Well why don't you show us the quotes that back that up. Then you'll know, won't you?
Too right. Murray did nothing wrong at all. That's down to Poyet.

And you'll not likely get quotes from that poster. What a sad life it enjoys.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He came back and fired us into the PL. If people still have a problem with him after that then there's little hope for them IMHO.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Hindsight has proved what a terrible mistake the club made in 2011 in not giving him the contract he deserved. He wouldn't have gone on to join Palace if the club had not messed up.

That said, I think he made a mistake joining Palace. I was angry at the time, I'm not angry any more though I maintain he made the wrong move then. With us he managed 25 Prem goals in 2 seasons whilst in his mid-30s; imagine what he could have done with the right club, rather than the 11 goals he managed in 3 top-flight seasons with Palace and Bmuff on loan.

I don't think he made the wrong move at all, unless you're an Albion fan.

It was Murray's goals that got Palace promoted - he was absolute machine for them that season. He only lost his momentum after the injury against us in the playoffs and then when he was fit, they cocked up and replaced him with Kevin Doyle (I think?) before flogging him to Bournemouth.

Yes, we'd probably have gone up that season if he'd still played for us but he got promotion anyway, it was the injury that did for him - not the transfer.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Not at all, and I don't understand who would feel any negativity about it.

- He never pushed for a move to Palace
- He would've stayed if we'd offered him the chance
- Going to Palace probably made him a millionaire
- The non celebration
- He stayed in Sussex while playing for them
- He happily came back and hasn't kicked off about being on the bench almost all season

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I completely understand why he went to Palace, he didn't leave of his own accord, he was forced out by Poyet who thought buying a league 1 striker was a great option.

His home is in Brighton, his kids go to school there, Palace was the closest club that came calling and he didn't have to uproot his life.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I completely understand why he went to Palace, he didn't leave of his own accord, he was forced out by Poyet who thought buying a league 1 striker was a great option.

His home is in Brighton, his kids go to school there, Palace was the closest club that came calling and he didn't have to uproot his life.

And we got CMS instead....

D

Deleted member 2719

How many of you lot calling him a legend now were once laughing and calling him "one in ten Glenn (copyright NSC clique)" and saying he was useless and didn't care because he didn't wave enough? NSC is full of hypocrisy.

Hypocrites are aplenty on here, I must agree. I go with consistency as that what people would prefer, wouldn't they???

This

No he did not make a mistake. He'd just got a new Mrs down here after a divorce and his Mrs didn't want to leave Brighton. He took a job that was the easiest to commute to and still see his family as anyone would. I've taken jobs in East Croydon before because it's a 45 min commute from my house. Blame Poyet for letting him go.

Well, why don't you show us the quotes that back that up. Then you'll know, won't you?

When you are at the level of earnings of that of a modern-day professional footballer, the location should not matter a jot.

Mayo, Wilkins, Hart would all trump Glenn for Albion legends and a dozen more would.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It’s like when you’re going through a bad patch with the Mrs and you end up round the back of the pub with the local bike.
Your Mrs kicks you out but later has you back and accepts she was being a nightmare at the time.
Every now and again you bump into said Local bike In the pub. She is still hideous, your mates tear you apart and it’s awkward.
But time passes. The bad thing becomes like a dream. Before long, it’s as if the bad thing never happened.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It’s like when you’re going through a bad patch with the Mrs and you end up round the back of the pub with the local bike.
Your Mrs kicks you out but later has you back and accepts she was being a nightmare at the time.
Every now and again you bump into said Local bike In the pub. She is still hideous, your mates tear you apart and it’s awkward.
But time passes. The bad thing becomes like a dream. Before long, it’s as if the bad thing never happened.

Blimey. That was like reading a bit of Jane Austin :mad:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I hadn't seen a Judas post on NSC for years, until a 'child' sneaked one in at the weekend.

If Poyet had wanted to Muzza to stay in 2011 and had ensured in the overall budget that Muzza was going to be paid the going rate, we'd have kept a brilliant footballer/striker and Muzza wouldn't have faced an horrendous daily commute to and from SE London. Everyone in these parts would've been a winner.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
He could have been, but he made one massive mistake.

To be fair he has done his best to smudge the stain of going to palarse but it will always be there.

Bobby Z has no stains and puts Murray in the shade for Albion heroes and always will.

In your opinion.

We all love Zamora but Glens goals have done things for this club I have never seen in my lifetime. Promotion to premier league and keeping us there. In my eyes he is every bit the legend of Zamora and he contribution is arguably greater to the history of the club.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I hadn't seen a Judas post on NSC for years, until a 'child' sneaked one in at the weekend.

If Poyet had wanted to Muzza to stay in 2011 and had ensured in the overall budget that Muzza was going to be paid the going rate, we'd have kept a brilliant footballer/striker and Muzza wouldn't have faced an horrendous daily commute to and from SE London. Everyone in these parts would've been a winner.

Yup, I seem to recall a "Judas" remark from some utter REKNAW just recently,sadly I don't recall the posters name. I'm going to try and find it though just in case it didn't refer to Sir Glenn but I suspect it did / does.
Look,as correctly pointed out by many posters, he went to Palace 'cos Poyet didn't think he warranted a new contract and didn't think he'd cut it in the Championship. That must go down as one of the most colossal errors in modern day football. I believe he was on 5k a week and the scum offered him 12.5k. He wasn't wanted here, he needed a job,what on earth should he do?
"Judas" never, ever. Club legend always in most peoples eyes. Thanks Glenn.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Hypocrites are aplenty on here, I must agree. I go with consistency as that what people would prefer, wouldn't they???

When you are at the level of earnings of that of a modern-day professional footballer, the location should not matter a jot.

Mayo, Wilkins, Hart would all trump Glenn for Albion legends and a dozen more would.

It's a nope from me. But a bit contentious to suggest Mayo, Wilkins and Hart would trump Murray. The Ginger Prince was never more than bog average, Dean Wilkins was renowned for a decent free kick and never getting his shorts dirty with a tackle and OGH was one of my favourites. But legendary? I respect your opinion, but Muzza's Withdean goal celebration was probably more legendary than those three.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here