Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray, opinions on him as a player

Oh but Burns, what if Murray was a bit more generous at making chances for Barnes?
I saw Murray as a good chance-taker - even if the shot was off target at least he snaffled up the opportunity.

I didn't notice him making so many openings though - I have a feeling our new lad is a bit better in that department.

Offside a lot - comes with trying to poach - but he seemed to improve in getting onside more last season.

He's a decent league 1 striker - that he's proved.
Championship - that he hasn't.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Without Murray on the pitch last season we were almost always completely toothless. He is a genuinely classy player and wins 90% of his aerial battles, even when challenging centre backs with significantly more height and muscle. He could easily get 15 - 20 goals next season, imho, and if Palace find the right man to play alongside him I'm sure they will have a decent strike-force. However, as a few have said, he is a bit of an enigma, and if the daily grind of getting to Selhust Park (or wherever Palace train) begins to grate with him, I can see things going downhill.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
When we had Glenn Murray on the pitch, I always thought there was a chance we could score a goal. I don't say that about many strikers.

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
A Caravan in East Croydon
I think the big question will be can he cut it in the Championship, considering he's played outside the Championship during his career, at yourselves and Rochdale. I think this is my worry. If you look at our other main striker now, Jermaine Easter, he was prolific in league 1 with MK, but the Championship is a different animal all together. It'll be interesting to see if he can. Having said that we need to build a side that will compliment him up front, and again that is another worry after the past two seasons for us.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I wish Murray plays EVERY league game next season and scores NO goals, that would be brilliant!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am sure Palace fans would feel the same way if you signed one of our better players.

We did have Scott Flinders on loan from you a few seasons ago, and he FAILED TO SCORE for us. I think it was part of a sinister plot by Palace:down:

Lush

Mods' Pet
Well guys, cheers for welcoming on to the site. Definitely going to come back, if you don't mind me doing so (being a Palace fan).
Probably a glutton for punishment, but hey-ho.

Look forward to seeing you at Selhurst Park next season, where i'll probably meet some of you in person (working for Palace as I do), and it'll be good to renew our rivalry which now has some added spice with the Glenn Murray transfer.

Well, wasn't he a nice well brought up young man.

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
A Caravan in East Croydon
Well, wasn't he a nice well brought up young man.

Thank you. I guess it makes a change from what you are used to from Palace fans that may tread these boards. Most of them are kids more than likely anyway!! I am a bit too old for that crap, but I can take a bit of jovial banter about my club. All part of the job of supporting your club isn't it!!

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
You won't really see him score many goals this coming season but season 2012/3 he will score you about 20 in Div 1. Not enough to save you from going down to Div 2 mind you but he should get player of the season for you.
That's really why we shipped him on, not good enough for the Championship and our altogether more loftier ambitions.

Smugly up yours

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here