Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray, opinions on him as a player

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
A Caravan in East Croydon
That is pretty much all you need to know. He is a good player (my POTY) and he played a significant role in getting us promoted this year. All banter aside if he doesn't bankrupt you then he should be a good signing. If the rest of your side is weak though, he'll just be bailing you out rather than propelling you forward.

Oh I agree with you. Palace is a side in complete transition after coming out of administration at the beginning of last season. We have the makings of a good side, regardless of where we finished last season, BUT we lack strength, depth and good leadership on the pitch, something which showed up a lot last season. I am sure Freedman will address that but Palace do need to make some significant signings during pre-season.

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
Is he going to pop across from Loftus Roard, every time you get a free kick, then?

haha Hans, well I hope he doesn't go to Loftus Road, but then a good player like Ambrose does deserve to be playing for a Premiership team than playing for a team who have finished in the bottom half of the Championship for the last 2 seasons. I just hope he doesn't go for our sakes as if he does, and with Danns looking like he could make his way up to the KC, we could be in for another torrid season at Selhurst!!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I didn't really get all the fuss about Murray to start with but this season it has been clear for all to see that he's a class above. He will win everything in the air. Everything. He'll hang in the air whilst gravity shakes a fist at him. It's his defensive work at set pieces and his general link up play we'll miss most.

He has a great first touch with plenty of tricks and whilst he's not the most clinical he'll occasionally come out with some ridiculous finishes.

I'm not sure why people are saying pace is a concern, he's not the fastest but certainly not the slowest. He has been moody but then he's played for the Albion in some pretty dire stuations and under some crap management, and has had personal issues which seemed to have resolved themselves now. I see no reason why he wouldn't carry on in his (relative) good mood and form next season and get minimum of 10 goals for Palace.

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
One last thing No way was Murray our best player, El Abd got our player of the year, yes Murray got 2nd in fans award but that is because of his dramatic change in consistency.

I certainly wouldn't say that about Murray being your best player, in fact I thought your nippy winger (Bennett is it??), was your most outstanding player last season, from all I saw on Late Kick Off and The Football League Show. I was just saying that other Palace fans on here seemed to be saying that, but of course they are when you are one of our massive rivals. Some of us though can see beyond the rivalry and look at it from a football perspective and put rivalry to one side.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Hi, Palace fan in peace, not here to gloat like most Palace fans seem to have done coming on here . Spoken to a couple of your fans in the past on twitter and they have obviously given their thoughts on Glenn's transfer and him as a player. Just wanted to ask you all what you thought of Glenn Murray as a player, rather than some of the stuff I have read on the other pages about why he has left etc??

I must admit I was miffed as to why Glenn would leave a club who have just won promotion and, as we have seen from teams like Norwich, could turn in to contenders this coming season in the championship, on the back of your League 1 Championship status. So what do you think of him as a player, positives and negatives? Thanks.

Think you may have answered your own question, it's Glenn as a person that's the problem.....the rest I would concur with Hans Kraay on. I've not seen the contract details but if its for 3 years then prepare for 2 1/2 years of injury then all of a sudden with contract talks underway, he'll look like Roy of the Rovers. One of the muted reasons for the move was that his wife was homesick and she wanted to move back north. Factually your team is north of ours. Myself, I mentioned about a month ago that I didn't think he would cut the mustard in The Championship and I still stand by that belief. One thing's for sure though he will be guaranteed a lovely Seagulls welcome at our place when he takes his seat in the stand, million % he will pull his hamstring in his previous game.

Why did he leave though was your question.......simple really......its called money......and how your club are allowed to spend the type of money that has been banded about is scandalous especially after going into administration twice in recent years. We own our stadium, you don't own yours and the minute the 1st pay cheque bounces he'll be off.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Think you may have answered your own question, it's Glenn as a person that's the problem.....the rest I would concur with Hans Kraay on. I've not seen the contract details but if its for 3 years then prepare for 2 1/2 years of injury then all of a sudden with contract talks underway, he'll look like Roy of the Rovers. One of the muted reasons for the move was that his wife was homesick and she wanted to move back north. Factually your team is north of ours. Myself, I mentioned about a month ago that I didn't think he would cut the mustard in The Championship and I still stand by that belief. One thing's for sure though he will be guaranteed a lovely Seagulls welcome at our place when he takes his seat in the stand, million % he will pull his hamstring in his previous game.

Why did he leave though was your question.......simple really......its called money......and how your club are allowed to spend the type of money that has been banded about is scandalous especially after going into administration twice in recent years. We own our stadium, you don't own yours and the minute the 1st pay cheque bounces he'll be off.

You've rather overstated the contract bit. Face a fact before Poyet took over we weren't very good, Murray blossomed under his stewardship but so did the likes of El Abd, the fact that his contract was due to expire had very little if anything to do with last season's performance.

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011

I think the thing to make clear is, and I don't know what kind of money is being bandied around at all, I shouldn't think he'd be on more than 8k a week, as even Speroni is on around 13 to 15k and he's our most paid player, with Ambrose just behind him. Even Davids was only on around 10k. CPFC2010 are making sure we won't break the bank, we live within our means and, as they have said, won't go above their pay structure for any player!! We are on a much sounder footing now under Parish and Co.

Also, Jimbo, we do own Selhurst Park now, that was why our administration went down to the cut off day as they were at Lloyds in London brokering a deal for the ground, so Selhurst Park is ours until we hopefully move in 4 years!! Only under Simon Jordan did we not own our ground. CPFC2010's stipulation was they wouldn't own CPFC without Selhurst Park. Hopefully we too will have a new ground in 5 years, as long as Spurs don't try to scupper West Ham's move to the Olympic Stadium as our plans for the NSC will go up in smoke!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I certainly wouldn't say that about Murray being your best player, in fact I thought your nippy winger (Bennett is it??), was your most outstanding player last season, from all I saw on Late Kick Off and The Football League Show. I was just saying that other Palace fans on here seemed to be saying that, but of course they are when you are one of our massive rivals. Some of us though can see beyond the rivalry and look at it from a football perspective and put rivalry to one side.

Ironically one player who stood out having joined us in November was Liam Bridcott, definitely a fans favourite. However prior to joining us he was on trial at Palace. That could be a decision that will come back to haunt you !

He has the talent for the Championship but not the temperament. My honest guess is that he will not settle at palace, won't fit in, will warm the bench, get more and more sulky on his cushy 3yr deal whilst delivering less and less on the pitch. And then it will be all YOUR fault (in his eyes). Anyone but palace and I'd wish you good luck.

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
Ironically one player who stood out having joined us in November was Liam Bridcott, definitely a fans favourite. However prior to joining us he was on trial at Palace. That could be a decision that will come back to haunt you !

Lol Probably will, any player who has Palace connections who comes back to play us normally does haunt us!! Wright, Akinbiyi, Adebola, Claridge are but a few that have done that!!

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
He has the talent for the Championship but not the temperament. My honest guess is that he will not settle at palace, won't fit in, will warm the bench, get more and more sulky on his cushy 3yr deal whilst delivering less and less on the pitch. And then it will be all YOUR fault (in his eyes). Anyone but palace and I'd wish you good luck.

Well it won't be my fault personally (lol), but I know where you are coming from, hence why I think this is a massive gamble for my club!!

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Lol Probably will, any player who has Palace connections who comes back to play us normally does haunt us!! Wright, Akinbiyi, Adebola, Claridge are but a few that have done that!!

I think your get the general Jist in general we not that bothered about losing Murray its just the way it has happened and who to is the biggest thing, also to see who replace him with, i know we got Hoskins in (who got 20 goals for a team who went down this year in bristol rovers), also Jon is it true you offered terms to Hoskins ? as i saw Freeman say he wanted him.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Good player. Will probably "do a job" for you. But he is a ****.

Well it won't be my fault personally (lol), but I know where you are coming from, hence why I think this is a massive gamble for my club!!

Agreed. But like any gamble, it could pay off (as much as I hate to say it). But being a gambling man I would genuinely have my money on him being a flop. I think he will not be able to cope with the pressure, scrutiny, change of surroundings and step up in division all at the same time.

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
I think your get the general Jist in general we not that bothered about losing Murray its just the way it has happened and who to is the biggest thing, also to see who replace him with, i know we got Hoskins in (who got 20 goals for a team who went down this year in bristol rovers), also Jon is it true you offered terms to Hoskins ? as i saw Freeman say he wanted him.

I believe we did look at Hoskins, but I don't know how far we got with that one, whether it was just paper talk and speculation.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

It's also tradition that even crap strikers (we've had plenty) score against us, the worst of the lot was a clown called Dave Cameron (no not that one) who got subbed after 20 minutes and never played for us again. On his downward spiral he played for Lincoln and managed to score for them against us (God knows how).

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
It's also tradition that even crap strikers (we've had plenty) score against us, the worst of the lot was a clown called Dave Cameron (no not that one) who got subbed after 20 minutes and never played for us again. On his downward spiral he played for Lincoln and managed to score for them against us (God knows how).

It does seem that way, I remember that Akinbiyi scored a great goal against us, after he left, but his only highlight for us in the 5+5 shirt was scoring with his backside!! (5+5 shirt because he couldn't wear the number 10 at the time and he asked that they actually put a '+' in between..... Diva) lol

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
not bad in the air

Christ, you're hard to please aren't you? Glenn's aerial ability is as good as any player I have seen in 23 years of going to the Albion. He is an absolute masterclass in how to time your leap and how to cushion or adjust your header dependent on the whereabout of your strike partner. He simply never loses a header. Not to mention his ability to finish with his head.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Christ, you're hard to please aren't you? Glenn's aerial ability is as good as any player I have seen in 23 years of going to the Albion. He is an absolute masterclass in how to time your leap and how to cushion or adjust your header dependent on the whereabout of your strike partner. He simply never loses a header. .

This, absolutely.

Not to mention his ability to finish with his head.

But this, much less so. His heading at goal isn't THAT great, for someone SO good in the air. Misses more than he should.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here