Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray, opinions on him as a player

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Pros

Genuinelly INCREDIBLE at winning the ball in the air, in both halves of the pitch.
Great at winning free kicks, pens.
Holds the ball up well
Excellent first touch

Cons

Goes missing when he's in a sulk
Not very quick
Not especially clinical
That's the perfect summing up in my opinion.

Whilst we all would have loved him to stay, I don't think theres many tears shed that he's left.

He had a great season last season, but I honestly think he was playing at his absolute best, and didn't see that carrying on for another season whether for us or Palace. I honestly think for the money you're paying, you've brought a dud.

If by one in ten chance he's plays at the top of his game, you've made a great signing.

If however if he perfomrs like he did when he first joined us, he won't last in the championship, and no doubt either will Palace.

If he did stay I think he would have droped down the pecking order here, and that's why Lord Gus wasn't ready to pay him what he wanted. The great man himself said he can sign proven Championship striker for the same money, and no doubt will.

I think most on here are more pissed off hes joined Palace, then they are about him leaving us. Not many are mourning his loss from our squad, just the fact he's joined the enemy, but I'm fairly confident this time next season we will be the ones laughing hardest!!

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
A Caravan in East Croydon
I think the thing is there are no cast iron certainties with any signing, even Andy Johnson in his first season with Palace wasn't awe inspiring, I for one criticised him under Trevor Francis' reign at my club, but he flowered in his second season, so unlike most Palace fans I am not expecting Glenn to turn up and become the new messiah at Palace. The opinions though so far by yourselves have been quite interesting and even I am now questioning this signing a little, and I do hope it does pay off for Freedman. That's not to say he might actually do well for us, but as I have said I can see why you feel aggrieved, not that he's gone but more because it is Palace. We'd be exactly the same if one of our players signed for you, so that I can understand and it would be the same with any club and their rivalry, whether it be United and City, Rangers and Celtic or Plymouth and Exeter, fans don't like to see any of their players going to a rival club, unless they really are that crap that it doesn't matter where they go!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
That's the perfect summing up in my opinion.

Whilst we all would have loved him to stay, I don't think theres many tears shed that he's left.

He had a great season last season, but I honestly think he was playing at his absolute best, and didn't see that carrying on for another season whether for us or Palace. I honestly think for the money you're paying, you've brought a dud.

If by one in ten chance he's plays at the top of his game, you've made a great signing.

If however if he perfomrs like he did when he first joined us, he won't last in the championship, and no doubt either will Palace.

If he did stay I think he would have droped down the pecking order here, and that's why Lord Gus wasn't ready to pay him what he wanted. The great man himself said he can sign proven Championship striker for the same money, and no doubt will.

I think most on here are more pissed off hes joined Palace, then they are about him leaving us. Not many are mourning his loss from our squad, just the fact he's joined the enemy, but I'm fairly confident this time next season we will be the ones laughing hardest!!

Sums it up quite well :clap:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Good bits:

Holds up the ball well, can play as a lone striker or as a pair. Reasonably quick feet for a big man and turns defenders well, better than I realised in this regard when I watched the video of the goals he scored for us. His goalscoring tended to come in fits and starts, before this season, a couple then a gap, then a few more, then another gap. Good team player in the sense that he will track back, and as many have said, will be your first line of defence on opposition set plays. Wins a lot in the air against central defenders, and has a sublime first touch which can be combined with excellent vision to bring teammates into play. His goals to games ratio was a constant throughout his time with us, but for two of those seasons he missed matches due to a hernia (which we failed to diagnose properly) and discipline.

Bad bits: Can be caught offside too often, not a natural penalty taker. His laconic approach made him unpopular with a section of the fanbase, who prefer bison to foxes, artisans to artists. He is not a natural finisher in the six yard box in a van Nistelrooy, Hernandez or Lineker style, but then if he was he wouldn't have been playing for us in the first place.

As for the comments about his personality, he is by all accounts a shy, private man, there's nothing wrong with that IMO. He didn't settle when he first signed for us, and put in a transfer request due to personal issues combined with an inability to get on with our manager at the time within a couple of months of joining. He did have a disciplinary problem in his first couple of years, but three red cards in three and a half years is hardly excessive, albeit none of them were defensible. He seems to have addressed that part of his game and there were no such problems last season, where he was magnificent.

Will he cut it in the Championship? If he plays at his best you have a bargain. He's not an Ashley Cole who can put his private life to one side and deliver on the pitch, he needs to be happy in himself. If he can keep injury free and onside you will have a 15 goal striker, with a good supply line he will get you more.

I can see why you feel aggrieved, not that he's gone but more because it is Palace. We'd be exactly the same if one of our players signed for you

But at least you would appreciate one of your players trying to better themselves by taking a step up, what we fail to understand is the lack of ambition and self-respect.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I think the thing is there are no cast iron certainties with any signing, even Andy Johnson in his first season with Palace wasn't awe inspiring, I for one criticised him under Trevor Francis' reign at my club, but he flowered in his second season, so unlike most Palace fans I am not expecting Glenn to turn up and become the new messiah at Palace. The opinions though so far by yourselves have been quite interesting and even I am now questioning this signing a little, and I do hope it does pay off for Freedman. That's not to say he might actually do well for us, but as I have said I can see why you feel aggrieved, not that he's gone but more because it is Palace. We'd be exactly the same if one of our players signed for you, so that I can understand and it would be the same with any club and their rivalry, whether it be United and City, Rangers and Celtic or Plymouth and Exeter, fans don't like to see any of their players going to a rival club, unless they really are that crap that it doesn't matter where they go!!

A sensible, Straight talking Palace fan who isn't on here spouting crap & homophobic bile :ohmy: Can we keep you? :thumbsup:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I suspect Glenn is one of those players who prefers the 'carrot' form of encouragement, rather than 'stick'.

I don't suppose Dougie Freedman is particularly cuddly, but one thing that will be to Glenn's detriment whoever he plays for now he's left Brighton - he won't be playing under Gus Poyet.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Good bits:

Holds up the ball well, can play as a lone striker or as a pair. Reasonably quick feet for a big man and turns defenders well, better than I realised in this regard when I watched the video of the goals he scored for us. His goalscoring tended to come in fits and starts, before this season, a couple then a gap, then a few more, then another gap. Good team player in the sense that he will track back, and as many have said, will be your first line of defence on opposition set plays. Wins a lot in the air against central defenders, and has a sublime first touch which can be combined with excellent vision to bring teammates into play. His goals to games ratio was a constant throughout his time with us, but for two of those seasons he missed matches due to a hernia (which we failed to diagnose properly) and discipline.

Bad bits: Can be caught offside too often, not a natural penalty taker. His laconic approach made him unpopular with a section of the fanbase, who prefer bison to foxes, artisans to artists. He is not a natural finisher in the six yard box in a van Nistelrooy, Hernandez or Lineker style, but then if he was he wouldn't have been playing for us in the first place.

As for the comments about his personality, he is by all accounts a shy, private man, there's nothing wrong with that IMO. He didn't settle when he first signed for us, and put in a transfer request due to personal issues combined with an inability to get on with our manager at the time within a couple of months of joining. He did have a disciplinary problem in his first couple of years, but three red cards in three and a half years is hardly excessive, albeit none of them were defensible. He seems to have addressed that part of his game and there were no such problems last season, where he was magnificent.

Will he cut it in the Championship? If he plays at his best you have a bargain. He's not an Ashley Cole who can put his private life to one side and deliver on the pitch, he needs to be happy in himself. If he can keep injury free and onside you will have a 15 goal striker, with a good supply line he will get you more.

Best summation so far in my opinion.

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
All joking aside, I am a Palace fan, but I am a football fan in general. Sometimes, and far too often, fans get blinkered by their own team and their rivalries with other clubs than to look at the broader picture.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All joking aside, I am a Palace fan, but I am a football fan in general. Sometimes, and far too often, fans get blinkered by their own team and their rivalries with other clubs than to look at the broader picture.

I think 99% of Albion fans would have rather you taken our other 20 goal striker to be honest. Glenn may have been an enigmatic mardarse but he is a decent player.

Most of us want Palace to lose every match, but when you were in administration we didn't want you to go out of business. Can't have a rivalry without rivals.

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
I think 99% of Albion fans would have rather you taken our other 20 goal striker to be honest. Glenn may have been an enigmatic mardarse but he is a decent player.

Most of us want Palace to lose every match, but when you were in administration we didn't want you to go out of business. Can't have a rivalry without rivals.

Exactly, rivalries are what football is all about, and come on let's be honest of course you'd want Palace to lose every game, we are exactly the same but secretly all Palace fans wanted you to come back up because what is the point of having rivals if they are in League 1?? We have had some cracking matches with Brighton.

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
One other thing, I was going to ask while I am at it, what do you think about this whole idea of setting the colours of the away end to the team you are playing?? For me i'd want my ground to be like a fortress and uneasy for any team turning up rather than making them feel at home. I don't know how you as fans feel about that happening at your new ground, but it wouldn't sit easy with me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One other thing, I was going to ask while I am at it, what do you think about this whole idea of setting the colours of the away end to the team you are playing?? For me i'd want my ground to be like a fortress and uneasy for any team turning up rather than making them feel at home. I don't know how you as fans feel about that happening at your new ground, but it wouldn't sit easy with me.

Nope. Make them as comfortable as possible, not mistreat them and fire them up.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
Well guys, cheers for welcoming on to the site. Definitely going to come back, if you don't mind me doing so (being a Palace fan).
Probably a glutton for punishment, but hey-ho.

Look forward to seeing you at Selhurst Park next season, where i'll probably meet some of you in person (working for Palace as I do), and it'll be good to renew our rivalry which now has some added spice with the Glenn Murray transfer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here