Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray, opinions on him as a player

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
A Caravan in East Croydon
Hi, Palace fan in peace, not here to gloat like most Palace fans seem to have done coming on here . Spoken to a couple of your fans in the past on twitter and they have obviously given their thoughts on Glenn's transfer and him as a player. Just wanted to ask you all what you thought of Glenn Murray as a player, rather than some of the stuff I have read on the other pages about why he has left etc??

I must admit I was miffed as to why Glenn would leave a club who have just won promotion and, as we have seen from teams like Norwich, could turn in to contenders this coming season in the championship, on the back of your League 1 Championship status. So what do you think of him as a player, positives and negatives? Thanks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pros

Genuinelly INCREDIBLE at winning the ball in the air, in both halves of the pitch.
Great at winning free kicks, pens.
Holds the ball up well
Excellent first touch

Cons

Goes missing when he's in a sulk
Not very quick
Not especially clinical

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good player when he is bothered ie last season.
Unproven in Champ and pace may be a factor.

I'd expect him to get 12 - 16 for you next year

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
From that, Hans, he sounds like a Clinton Morrison type character. We seem to be notorious for picking up these sulky kind of charcters. Clinton was one of those that if he wasn't playing well in a game would disappear and sulk for most of the game, if things weren't going his way. Could be quite cocky too.... similar??

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hi, Palace fan in peace, not here to gloat like most Palace fans seem to have done coming on here . Spoken to a couple of your fans in the past on twitter and they have obviously given their thoughts on Glenn's transfer and him as a player. Just wanted to ask you all what you thought of Glenn Murray as a player, rather than some of the stuff I have read on the other pages about why he has left etc??

I must admit I was miffed as to why Glenn would leave a club who have just won promotion and, as we have seen from teams like Norwich, could turn in to contenders this coming season in the championship, on the back of your League 1 Championship status. So what do you think of him as a player, positives and negatives? Thanks.

Decent player who has blossomed under Poyet, give him the service he'll be okay, some would say that his attitude is questionable though. He asked for a transfer twice in his three and a half years here. Anybody with half a brain accepts that Palace made him and offer that we didn't think was worth keeping him for. As far as him being untried in the Championship I don't think it's that much of a factor. Grant Holt (a fellow Cumbrian) had spent a fair bit of time in the lower leagues yet was outstanding for Norwich last season. Admittedly Hold has spent some playing time in the Championship in the past. However unless Palace sign players who can support him he won't be that great as we know from watching him playing for a modest Brighton side for the first two and a half years he had here.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Pros

Genuinelly INCREDIBLE at winning the ball in the air, in both halves of the pitch.
Holds the ball up well
Excellent first touch

Cons

Not very quick
Not especially clinical

This. And he's an awful penalty taker.
He also got sent off needlessly a few times the season before last.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Misses chances that he really should score from but then will pop up with something that had no right to go in. Brilliant first touch and heading from defensive positions. Maybe lacks pace but other players have succeed without real pace. Don't agree that he is sulky he had problems at home during his time here and that effected him on the pitch but bar that not seen anything other than he is shy and doesn't like the attention (going to be fun on his first visit to the AMEX). We messed him up with a hernia so not really injury prone

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
Decent player who has blossomed under Poyet, give him the service he'll be okay, some would say that his attitude is questionable though. He asked for a transfer twice in his three and a half years here. Anybody with half a brain accepts that Palace made him and offer that we didn't think was worth keeping him for. As far as him being untried in the Championship I don't think it's that much of a factor. Grant Holt (a fellow Cumbrian) had spent a fair bit of time in the lower leagues yet was outstanding for Norwich last season. Admittedly Hold has spent some playing time in the Championship in the past. However unless Palace sign players who can support him he won't be that great as we know from watching him playing for a modest Brighton side for the first two and a half years he had here.

Cheers bhaexpress, I think this season we (Palace) are trying to rely on finding players that would be classified as hidden gems, the sort of players that Coppell would look to buy when he was in charge at Palace in his first stint in charge (likes of Coleman, Hedman, Martyn etc). We don't seem to be going for the high profile players as much now (apart from loans), but now looking at teams like Brighton, Bristol Rovers (I believe we have been linked with the tall lad there, Chris Lines). As for the money side of things, I know the new people in charge here are trying to make sure we don't do what Jordan did, and splash out too much and live within our means. I know they have been reluctant to splash out too much on wages and tried to cap the amount of wages spent, so I wouldn't expect Glenn to be on more than someone like Danns or Ambrose (probably one reason why Danns hasn't signed on for us yet as his wage isn't likely to rise under us). Does seem strange though, and obviously with the way teams like Leeds and Norwich have performed after promotion you would have thought he'd stay with yourselves at Falmer for atleast one more season than come to a team who are in transition.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Good all round player. He does most things pretty well, good control, good passer of the ball, quite strong to hold the ball up, decent finisher, not bad in the air, and if you have a decent free-kick taker, he'll enjoy having Glenn up there to win him plenty.

The downsides are that while he's good at all teh above, he's note exceptional in any of those areas, and that does make me doubt how easily he'll adapt to a higher level of football. Also, his body language is pretty poor, and he's not a "cover every blade of grass" player. All just seem to add up to a player who is a little hard to warm to. he struggled to settle with us for quite a while, and it wasn't until Gus arrived that we played a system that seemed to suit him. Whether that's down to us, or whether it's his inability to adapt to change quickly, we're about to see. If it's him, then moving club, and up a division seems an unwise move on his part.

He's decent, but if he's the main striker you sign this summer, then I genuinely doubt he'll live up to expectations. You could do with a marquee signing, so that he's a little bit under the radar, or a slow start will have fans on his back, because his body language will give the (wrong) impression that he doesn't care.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Cheers bhaexpress, I think this season we (Palace) are trying to rely on finding players that would be classified as hidden gems, the sort of players that Coppell would look to buy when he was in charge at Palace in his first stint in charge (likes of Coleman, Hedman, Martyn etc). We don't seem to be going for the high profile players as much now (apart from loans), but now looking at teams like Brighton, Bristol Rovers (I believe we have been linked with the tall lad there, Chris Lines). As for the money side of things, I know the new people in charge here are trying to make sure we don't do what Jordan did, and splash out too much and live within our means. I know they have been reluctant to splash out too much on wages and tried to cap the amount of wages spent, so I wouldn't expect Glenn to be on more than someone like Danns or Ambrose (probably one reason why Danns hasn't signed on for us yet as his wage isn't likely to rise under us). Does seem strange though, and obviously with the way teams like Leeds and Norwich have performed after promotion you would have thought he'd stay with yourselves at Falmer for atleast one more season than come to a team who are in transition.

As you may have gathered quite a few people are not happy that he's gone to Palace, I'm not thrilled but the bottom line is that Gus clearly didn't rate him that much and wasn't prepared to pay him what he was asking for. With all due respect it looks like Southampton and Millwall amongst other felt the same. Only time will tell whether it was a good or bad idea. There is the possibility that if he doesn't see eye to eye with Freedman then it could end in tears. On the other hand you might be able to get players who can maximise his talents.

People call him a Judas and so on but at the end of the day he's a professional footballer who's entitled to make the best living he can from his career, he can't be blamed for that because he's the same as anybody else. It remains to be seen but Gus may have his eyes on somebody else, Hoskins has been in his sights for a year now. Can't see Kazanga coming here now sadly but he would be worth a lot more than Murray in a very short space of time, we Brighton fans know how lethal he is.

Last edited:

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
Gritt, Palace had this with Alan Lee. He was extremely frustrating to watch, didn't look as though he gave his all in his first season to the point where the fans did start to get on his back. In his second season he became somewhat of a cult figure and you could see that while his body language made him look rather disinterested he was your old style, big lumbering centre forward who won a lot in the air and put himself about, even if he didn't have pace or chase everything down. Palace have lacked that sort of player, so Glenn does sound like an ideal replacement for Lee, who I thought Palace were silly to let go of. With Ambrose over the free kicks though it seems, from what you are saying, all bodes well. We (Palace) do, though, need a better striker alongside him, as I am still unsure over Easter, and Iversen is too similar.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Muzza will either be the best player on the pitch or one of the worst. He's one of those players who seems to defy gravity when jumping for a high ball - he just hangs there for what seems like an eternity. Without doubt a class player on his day, the only major problem with him is getting him in the zone and keeping him there as he has been prone to stupid hand ball episodes when already booked.

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
As you may have gathered quite a few people are not happy that he's gone to Palace, I'm not thrilled but the bottom line is that Gus clearly didn't rate him that much and wasn't prepared to pay him what he was asking for. With all due respect it looks like Southampton and Millwall amongst other felt the same. Only time will tell whether it was a good or bad idea. There is the possibility that if he doesn't see eye to eye with Freedman then it could end in tears. On the other hand you might be able to get players who can maximise his talents.

People call him a Judas and so on but at the end of the day he's a professional footballer who's entitled to make the best living he can from his career, he can't be blamed for that because he's the same as anybody else. It re,ains to be seen but Gus may have his eyes on somebody else, Hoskins has been in his sights for a year now. Can't see Kazanga coming here now sadly but he would be worth a lot more than Murray in a very short space of time, we Brighton fans know how lethal he is.

Completely understand why, and it's bound to happen when players sign for a rival club, especially when it is such a bitter rivalry as ours (not that I have ever subscribed to it personally). Also it is obvious that his wage offer must have been higher than that of what Southampton and Millwall were offering, so if he doesn't do well that will be re-evaluated and he could end up being here only one season. I don't know and I do hope the signing comes off for us. It's sounding like quite a gamble. Freedman though has experience of working alongside Morrison, and Morrison on his day could be just as unpredictable, so hopefully that'll count for something come next season, but even then that experience is as a player and not as a manager.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Pros

Holds the ball up well
Excellent first touch

Cons

Not very quick
Not especially clinical

That is pretty much all you need to know. He is a good player (my POTY) and he played a significant role in getting us promoted this year. All banter aside if he doesn't bankrupt you then he should be a good signing. If the rest of your side is weak though, he'll just be bailing you out rather than propelling you forward.

Jon_Ellacott

May 25, 2011
One thing is that I see Palace fans gloating, going on about how we have stolen your best player, but what they forget is that this tends to come back and bite us as we have signed players like this and they have gone on not to perform as well as they have at their prior club. I think some of my own clubs fans forget this!! It annoys the heck out of me. We'll have to judge what he's going to be like for us when he plays 5 or 10 games in a Palace shirt, until then it is a gamble!!

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Completely understand why, and it's bound to happen when players sign for a rival club, especially when it is such a bitter rivalry as ours (not that I have ever subscribed to it personally). Also it is obvious that his wage offer must have been higher than that of what Southampton and Millwall were offering, so if he doesn't do well that will be re-evaluated and he could end up being here only one season. I don't know and I do hope the signing comes off for us. It's sounding like quite a gamble. Freedman though has experience of working alongside Morrison, and Morrison on his day could be just as unpredictable, so hopefully that'll count for something come next season, but even then that experience is as a player and not as a manager.

You do your club justice, you tend to get more info about a player when come in to a rival clubs forum and ask a question in this manner, and not get our goats up, i seriousally think that Murray is a good player but not really one that we will miss that much if Poyet gets the players he wants.
Just is a shame to our big rivals in Palace and no fee involved thats the main thing that has annoyed me. I would have preferred to have kept Murray but not on the wages he was asking for if what hear is true, as Poyet stated we could get a proven championship striker for them wages.
Just wanted to come on and say good posts Jon

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
One thing is that I see Palace fans gloating, going on about how we have stolen your best player, but what they forget is that this tends to come back and bite us as we have signed players like this and they have gone on not to perform as well as they have at their prior club. I think some of my own clubs fans forget this!! It annoys the heck out of me. We'll have to judge what he's going to be like for us when he plays 5 or 10 games in a Palace shirt, until then it is a gamble!!

One last thing No way was Murray our best player, El Abd got our player of the year, yes Murray got 2nd in fans award but that is because of his dramatic change in consistency.
But id put players like Lua Lua (when with us), Bennett, Bridcutt, Greer, El Abd, Painter all above Murray.
I think Murray saw that our fans tend to prefer all above and Noone as we hardly ever sing songs about Murray.
I seriousally think if our fans was asked who we would want to keep the most out of all all above Murray would have been in last place, showing not our best player, also Poyet subbed him i believe in about 60% of the games last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here