Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray - League 1 player of the year

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I find it strange that there seems to be a sort of double standard when it comes to attacking players and awards. When people talk about the likes of Elphick, El-Abd, Crofts, Painter and so on they always talk about 'consitency' and call them 'unsung heroes' (are you are an unsung hero if everyone says you are?), when it comes to attacking players it seems that scoring goals and setting up goals are actually a disadvantage because they're 'eyecatching'.

But who has been more consistent than Murray this season? No one.
Who is more important to our team? IMO, no one (look at how we've performed without Murray, what he brings to the team is far more than just his goals).

With this award they've clearly just glanced at the scoring charts and picked the top three, but I suppose that makes up for the fact Adam El-Abd will obviously win our player of the season.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Regarding the OT content of OUR Player Of The Season...

I think it'll go to El-Abd. It is the best story. He has become an absolute TITAN at the back, turning from a squad also-ran into a mainstay. He has proved a torrent of critics (most of us probably) absolutely wrong about his ability to be part of a successful team. And that is what we are! Gus comes in, identifies him as a key player at the back, signs him up to the club early... Also he is a Youth Team product, one of our own... I think you put all the ingredients together and we have a deserving winner in a season that so far is shaping up for a lot of glory.

Maybe his winning it will be 'harsh' on the more exciting players (though I personally get a lot of pleasure from his biblically HEROIC headed clearances under pressure!) but then they get the plaudits all season, and from the media at large who would never notice the work Adam does, or his back-story at the club. My vote goes to him... (pretentious! / bleerurgh! moment, warning): I think there's a touch of poetry about it!

this with knobs on the man is a COLOSSUS

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
you say that, but he's probably right up there if you think about it - only El-Abd and Bennett rival him really . And Bennett hasn't been as effective since his transfer request - Dean Cox has got a lot more assists now.

What you link to is a table compiled from the notoriously inaccurate Press Association statistics

Far from having 13 assists, Benno actually has 21 ... still some way clear of Coxy. (Of course the PA could also have made mistakes with his stats as well)

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
i hope Murrey wins it, its not just his 18 goals, its his all round play, the headers he wins, the holding the ball up (Is the best I HAVE EVER SEEN) his running off the ball, he is a very very good player and I hope he is with us for the Championship next season.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
QPR star Adel Taraabt was named Championship player of the year last night to cap Rangers’ memorable charge towards the Premier League.

The Hoops’ Moroccan star, signed from Spurs last summer, has helped propel Neil Warnock’s side to nine points clear at the top of the table.

They remain on course for promotion after a 1-0 win at Doncaster on Saturday.

And Taraabt, 21, has weighed in with 15 goals from his free attacking role in Warnock’s side.

Warnock said: “Adel has had a great season. He’s been an important player for us and is very talented.”

Other winners at last night’s awards bash at The Brewery in London included Peterborough hot-shot Craig Mackail-Smith, 27, who has 27 goals this term in League One.

Bury’s veteran striker Ryan Lowe, 32, got the League Two player of the season award after bagging 24 goals for the Shakers.

The Football League Young Player of the Year went to Connor Wickham of Ipswich Town, who also the division’s apprentice of the year.

Dale Jennings of Tranmere Rovers got the League One apprentice of the year award and Kadeem Harris of Wycombe the League Two accolade.

Greg Clarke, chairman of The Football League, said: ?The evening has been another huge success and I congratulate all the winners.?

Elsewhere long-serving Crewe manager Dario Gradi, 69, picked up a lifetime achievement award after nearly 30 years in charge of Crewe.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Family club of the year - Cardiff City
Fan of the year - Kevin Monks (Coventry)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here