Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray - League 1 player of the year

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yup it's just my opinion.

But i'd throw Ankergren in the mix too, he's kept 17 clean sheets. 1 less than Murray has scored goals.

Last season when we dire we still had Murray and Bennett.

This season we've been lucky to have a keeper who's marshalled the troops well and has been steady as a rock on the last line.

Something like that can't be underated in a team that's gone as well as we have and kept as many clean sheets as we have.
Ankergren has been a bit taken for granted by our fans this season IMO.

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Ankergren has been a bit taken for granted by our fans this season IMO.

I think I'm guilty of that. I was a bit unsure when he signed for us having seen him play for Leeds against us and on the tv. That Rochdale 'punch' didn't help. But looking at TB's clean sheet stat and some of the saves he has pulled off it really does wake me up to the fact he has been a great signing for us.

Casper Ankergren :bowdown:

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
not on OS yet

It's been, and the headline still is, on the official club app, that's official ! Although it does appear that this may have been a story prepped 'in case' Murray won. But then again where was the prepped story 'in case' he had lost ? Anyways, let's see what happens tonight !

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It might just be a draft thats gone up by accident. As I doubt anyone would want to write the full article on the Sunday evening so it's done already just in case.

... unless the club have done what every other club will have done, if they have a player up for an award?

... Prepare the official announcement, so it's ready to go, IF and WHEN it's confirmed.

If it's NOT confirmed, the prepared item will simply be binned.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
that would be really embarrassing if he got up to accept the award and they called somebody elses name

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Well I'm going to the awards tonight so I'll text a couple of NSC buddies the result when it comes in.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
... unless the club have done what every other club will have done, if they have a player up for an award?

... Prepare the official announcement, so it's ready to go, IF and WHEN it's confirmed.

If it's NOT confirmed, the prepared item will simply be binned.

My thoughts exactly. Think CMS will win it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Great news but maybe not good news. You see our Glen is out of contract, being the League's player of the season is going to make him very enticing for other clubs. Could see Blackpool getting interested for instance.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Regarding the OT content of OUR Player Of The Season...

I think it'll go to El-Abd. It is the best story. He has become an absolute TITAN at the back, turning from a squad also-ran into a mainstay. He has proved a torrent of critics (most of us probably) absolutely wrong about his ability to be part of a successful team. And that is what we are! Gus comes in, identifies him as a key player at the back, signs him up to the club early... Also he is a Youth Team product, one of our own... I think you put all the ingredients together and we have a deserving winner in a season that so far is shaping up for a lot of glory.

Maybe his winning it will be 'harsh' on the more exciting players (though I personally get a lot of pleasure from his biblically HEROIC headed clearances under pressure!) but then they get the plaudits all season, and from the media at large who would never notice the work Adam does, or his back-story at the club. My vote goes to him... (pretentious! / bleerurgh! moment, warning): I think there's a touch of poetry about it!

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
You can never have too many awards. I am pleased to announce that I have just won the North Surrey (Northern Section) Albion Fan of the Year Award. Could be years before you see that in the national press though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
However, Murray is so important to us. It's his hold-up play, his link-up play, and his winning of 90% of stuff in the air that for me makes him probably our most important player.

Completely agree. I've no idea if stats back me up, but in my opinion, our goal threat diminishes quite considerably when Muzza is not on the pitch.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Original link now says this:

Update 14.30: It’s since been confirmed to us via sources from the club that this was in fact a draft article prepared in case Murray does win the award tonight, and it wasn’t supposed to be uploaded. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, but I’m sure we’ll find out later on tonight. Fingers crossed this is a smokescreen and that Glenn will be going home with the award this evening!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here