Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Hoddle in 'race row'

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
:facepalm:

So, for once, Hoddle is light hearted and genuinely amusing (I thought it was funny, and in no way racist) and he ends up apologising for it. Great, so we'll be back to dull dour Glenn from now on, don't go risk saying anything amusing again eh.

Jesus. I bet it was some politically correct ENGLISHMAN and not anyone of Chinese decent that complained.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I think Hoddle is an absolute disgrace and should be forced to write to every single person in china and apologise, my wonky titted chinese girlfriend Wun Hung Lo is absolutely furious

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Good article and very true.

However, wasn't it the Daily Mail that lead the storm over the 'Brand/Ross'gate saga?

Hoddle should not have needed to apologise as he did nothing wrong. I'd be interested to know the numbers of people that believed he should. 16.4% believe an apology was needed, from the Guardian poll.

Not just Ross and Brand but also... Rastamouse!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356272/Makin-bad-ting-good-Rastamouse-biggest-childrens-TV-hit-Teletubbies.html

Check out some of the 'I'm not racist but I don't want my kids talking like a Rasta comments' It's almost beyond paraody. As someone who is forced to watch Rastamouse with his 2 and a half yr old son, I can confirm it is proper crucial. Beats re-runs of Postman Pat any day.

Lastly, Cascarinos comment about Hoddle 'the unfunniest man I know' sums up his punditry for me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Would I though? I don't think I would. Plenty of her friends are exactly the same.
You've got to admit Timmy, it's all about knowing your audience.

As for Glenn Hoddle's "racism", this is absurd. Yes, I suppose a play on words to make it sound like a Chinese name is very loosely racist, but the fundamental problem is that when it comes to racism, it's always such a black and white issue in the minds of too many people. Consequently, everybody is scared of being called a racist when the truth is that everybody has their own preconceptions of other people, whether that's based on race, sex, colour or creed. It's an unfortunate trait of human nature.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
As for Glenn Hoddle's "racism", this is absurd.

It is but please bear in mind that Alan Green made a simlarly lame chinese gag on 5 live sometime ago.

If this whips up enough of storm we might be able to get the moaning, sanctimonious old duffer sacked in retrospect.

It's worth a bit of fake outrage for that minor possibility alone.

Stumpy Tim

It seems to me it's more about intention than the audience. I'm clearly not out to hurt my wife, unlike the people who used to call Goldstone Rapper the same names. In this case, there's no way Glenn Hoddle is out to offend anyone and I woils be surprised if anyone is.

Another example is Top Gear. The Top Gear guys were out to upset the Mexicans and got hammered for it rightly

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have an old board game in the loft. It is called the Mysteries of Old Peking - a detective game whereby you question witnessess.

The Fisherman is called 'Pong Hi', the beautician is called 'Miss May Kup', the jeweller is called 'Mrs Roo Bee' and the restauranteur is called 'Mr Tum Tum'.

Should I take it outside and burn it or write to MB and complain?

Not just Ross and Brand but also... Rastamouse!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356272/Makin-bad-ting-good-Rastamouse-biggest-childrens-TV-hit-Teletubbies.html

Check out some of the 'I'm not racist but I don't want my kids talking like a Rasta comments' It's almost beyond paraody. As someone who is forced to watch Rastamouse with his 2 and a half yr old son, I can confirm it is proper crucial. Beats re-runs of Postman Pat any day.

Lastly, Cascarinos comment about Hoddle 'the unfunniest man I know' sums up his punditry for me.

Martin Samuel seems to have found himself at the wrong newspaper!

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
SKY have gone completely mad in recent years.

None of their presenters or pundits are allowed to say anything that's not on the "approved list" these days.
If they do say something SKY aren't sure about, they make them apologise (just in case).

I remeber Phil Taylor saying "bloody rubbish" about his game a couple of years back, and Dave Clark falling over himself to apologise to the audience in case "anyone was offended by Phil's comments".

On SKY One at the same time was "24", where some bloke was having his genitals electrocuted!!!

SKY - bunch of dick heads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here