Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Hoddle in 'race row'

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The whole thing is utterly ridiculous... Its just a bad joke from about 1930. No harm done.

People should just get a life, stop complaining and stop fighting PC battles to look good.

Any bets on how many chinese people ACTUALLY complained?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I am disappointed in Hoddle for apologising, he should have completely ignored these idiots who if taken seriously will eventually result in everything being scripted and passed before broadcasting.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
People should have complained about the fact he was useless all through the match

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
the people who went straight on Twitter and what ever forums and are quoted in the papers

oh.. the voice of Britain then.

You see someone could fart 3,000 miles away and someone will be offended. They may even post it on Twitter.

That's what the internet had given us. Some people will be offended, some people won't. But unlike the past we get to hear about or it (or choose to read it).

It's a democracy of pulished opinion that's here to stay. That's what people need to get over....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Doesn't seem to be much democracy in a tame old football saying that gets built up into a racist slur. Seems one way traffic to me, don't dare be light hearted or the PC brigade will be calling for your honky white arse. I despair.

Despairing slapper from Soho,
Suk Mi Kum

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3968611 said:
What do you call a Frenchman wearing sandals? Phillipe Flop. Would Hoddle have to apologise for that?

Pathetic.

To be fair, I don't think Glenda's comedy 'skills' have developed to that sort of level.

Anyway, what's my solution to his latest piss-poor televised attempt? Off with his HOD!*

*Sorry

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I was discussing this very subject this morning with a double glazing salesman. Irish chap. I think he said his name was Paddy O'Doors.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Martin Samuel spot on again.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Good article and very true.

However, wasn't it the Daily Mail that lead the storm over the 'Brand/Ross'gate saga?

Hoddle should not have needed to apologise as he did nothing wrong. I'd be interested to know the numbers of people that believed he should. 16.4% believe an apology was needed, from the Guardian poll.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Good article and very true.

However, wasn't it the Daily Mail that lead the storm over the 'Brand/Ross'gate saga?

Hoddle should not have needed to apologise as he did nothing wrong. I'd be interested to know the numbers of people that believed he should. 16.4% believe an apology was needed, from the Guardian poll.

I would have said that I worry for how 16.4% of Gruniad readers manage to keep their sanity intact in this ever-spinning world we live in........................but in truth I worry for ALL Gruniad readers

but nowhere near as much as I worry for Daily Mail readers. They must be frightened to get out of bed in the morning for fear of doing/saying/seeing/hearing something/anything/everything........

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Stumpy Tim

Now That's What I Call Racism.

I call my wife a NIP all the time, even though she's clearly a CHINK. She finds it funny fortunately, and she calls me Evil Englishman & complains about our history of rape & torture - I find that quite funny. In Ricky Gervais film Ghost Town he did a whole scene taking this piss out of Chinese names, & no one made a fuss. My wife found it funny. It seems to me that people who moan & whine aren't the people they think should be offended

What's the matter with some people?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I call my wife a NIP all the time, even though she's clearly a CHINK. She finds it funny fortunately, and she calls me Evil Englishman & complains about our history of rape & torture - I find that quite funny. In Ricky Gervais film Ghost Town he did a whole scene taking this piss out of Chinese names, & no one made a fuss. My wife found it funny. It seems to me that people who moan & whine aren't the people they think should be offended

What's the matter with some people?

er, yeah, and do it so someone else's wife? You'd probably get slapped.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

When something is intended as a harmless joke, and you know the other person well enough to know it will land with them that way, that is rather different from the context of Vulture's comments.

As for 'It seems to me that people who moan & whine aren't the people they think should be offended', well, I am Chinese. I'm the son of immigrants who moved to this country in the 70s. From my own experience, 'Chink,' when used, is consistently used as a negative, demeaning label against people with a Chinese ethnicity. I was at the receiving end of that where I grew up in Brighton. Imagine facing that taunt as a kid when your emotional resilience is likely to be lower. Yes, it hurt then, and while the effect isn't so strong now, it calls me back to those feelings and sense of being attacked then.

(And, of course, people don't have to be Chinese or Japanese to take issue with Vulture's casual racism).

Last edited:

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
Re his 'disabled' quote - It was what he truly believed.
Same as billions of people around the world believe that virgins give birth.
Negative crap is more readable/saleable. We're still talking about it after how many years ?.
If he'd smiled, and wished god's love on the disabled, it wouldn't even get a mention.
I blame the stupid tits who believe what they read/hear........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here