Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Hoddle in 'race row'

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Glenn Hoddle has apologised for a controversial comment he made while commentating for Sky Sports on Fulham's match with Chelsea on Monday night.

After Fernando Torres missed a goalscoring chance, Hoddle joked the £50m Chelsea striker was like "Chinese player Knee Shin Toe".

The former England boss has now apologised for the comment, which came just weeks after Richard Keys and Andy Gray were forced to leave Sky for making sexist remarks off-air, and just days after Keys was exposed for making racist comments about black footballer David Johnson.

"I can only apologise to those who took offence," Hoddle said. "There's no excuse. It's an old football expression and I understand I can't say things like that."

-----------------------------------
What the f*** is the world coming to? Someone actually bothered to complain that the comment was racist, who is taking offence at this stuff?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What the f*** is the world coming to? Someone actually bothered to complain that the comment was racist, who is taking offence at this stuff?

Maybe it was Richard Keys upset that Hoddle might have been getting away with it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agreed that's pathetic

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Bet there wont be as much of a comeback for this.

Why,

Karma?

or the fact Hoddle does not have "Dark Forces"

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I can't stand Hoddle, but is that remark offensive? If a commentator said "English player Toe Knee Shin" I'm not sure I would be offended. Or am I missing something?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3968611 said:
I love the way any play on Chinese or Indian names is "racist".

What do you call a Frenchman wearing sandals? Phillipe Flop. Would Hoddle have to apologise for that?

Pathetic.

Have to agree. What's wrong with asking the question: what do you call a Mexican peeping tom? Senor Bittz.

In comparison to Hoddle's comments on disabilitys the joke name thing doesn't even raise one iota of concern in me.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not sure there is any evidence anyone did complain - but I'd imagine the producers had a word in his ear.

After the month they've had it's probably sensible to err on the side of the side of caution.....

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It was a joke, some people really need to lighten up. Who the bloody hell would complain about that

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It was a joke, some people really need to lighten up. Who the bloody hell would complain about that

Which people ?

Looks like the media whipping it up, since it nicely extends the Richard Keys story. I doubt whether the journalist writing the story give a stuff either, but it makes a nice headline and inevitably is an open invitation for a discussion (or argument) to continue in the comments section.

The very newspapers who sell on the basis of exposing "political correctness" are carrying the story as if it's a racist remark.

Last edited:

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
That was quite good for Hoddle who imo is a charmless nurk!

My mate who posts on here and is a betting office manager (you know who you are!) used to put down 'Suk Mi Kok' as one of the first goalscorers on the wipe board when South or Noerh Korea were playing!

Nobody ever noticed though probably would be sacked these days!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
f***ing ridiculous. This countries media has gone mental.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Which people ?

Looks like the media whipping it up, since it nicely extends the Richard Keys story. I doubt whether the journalist writing the story give a stuff either, but it makes a nice headline and inevitably is an open invitation for a discussion (or argument) to continue in the comments section.

The very newspapers who sell on the basis of exposing "political correctness" are carrying the story as if it's a racist remark.

the people who went straight on Twitter and what ever forums and are quoted in the papers

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
It reminds me of the craze currently doing the rounds in the big nightclubs up north - kids dissolving ecstasy pills in vodka and injecting it between their teeth . . . . . 'E' by gum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here