Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury 2024

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It looked like the ultimate festival moment on the box to be fair (God bless the BBC and their commitment to broadcasting things like this in 4K HDR).

That run of Someone Great, Dance Yrself Clean and All My Friends was perfect. The unison between crowd and band for that final 2 minutes was otherworldly. Imagine actually being there for it. Never been more jealous of anything in my entire life.
I was there, right at the front. It was emotional. Everyone hugged everyone afterwards, and the squeeze to get away with the Dua Lipa crowd coming the other way was something else, but full of happiness and Glastonbury love (man).

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I was there, right at the front. It was emotional. Everyone hugged everyone afterwards, and the squeeze to get away with the Dua Lipa crowd coming the other way was something else, but full of happiness and Glastonbury love (man).
1719922676472.png

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It looked like the ultimate festival moment on the box to be fair (God bless the BBC and their commitment to broadcasting things like this in 4K HDR).

That run of Someone Great, Dance Yrself Clean and All My Friends was perfect. The unison between crowd and band for that final 2 minutes was otherworldly. Imagine actually being there for it. Never been more jealous of anything in my entire life.
Just started watching it back, and there’s me in my Skint bucket hat bottom left of the screen during Oh Baby. 🙂

Edit: watching on, me and my bucket hat feature quite regularly.

Attachments

• IMG_3279.jpeg
    IMG_3279.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Good point.

Who though? Billie Eilish has done it too recently, maybe Olivia Rodrigo instead of Taylor Swift.

In terms of someone non-white, who is due a Glasto headline?

The Weeknd? Rihanna?

Dave if he releases a new album between now and then is probably a decent shout. Stormzy did well a couple of years ago so another UK rapper makes sense.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Dave if he releases a new album between now and then is probably a decent shout. Stormzy did well a couple of years ago so another UK rapper makes sense.
Good shout.

Kneecap, despite being on at 11.30am, smashed it, by the way.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm in the middle of watching The National's set and I was struck by the number of wires/cables. It might be a really dumb question but with modern life being heavily hands and wire free why is live music so cable heavy? Can tit not be blue toothed or wi-fied or something from microphone/instrument to amps/speakers?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I'm in the middle of watching The National's set and I was struck by the number of wires/cables. It might be a really dumb question but with modern life being heavily hands and wire free why is live music so cable heavy? Can tit not be blue toothed or wi-fied or something from microphone/instrument to amps/speakers?
It can be but they're notoriously unreliable &/or noisy. There's so much that can go wrong without adding more

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Interesting read re: dance music and over-crowding.

Yes, an interesting read. I first went in 1995 (pre the Mega Wall) and last went in 2017 (as recycling crew). Those last few years I really enjoyed the cabaret, comedy, Avalon and Acoustic areas (as well as The Park) much more than the bigger stages and dance areas (all too crowded and I found it so hard moving around due to crowding). Out of personal interest, do people still enjoy these areas (cabaret, comedy etc) and hang out for random stuff there or is it very dj-centric and must-see-bands-on-my-list nowadays?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Yes, an interesting read. I first went in 1995 (pre the Mega Wall) and last went in 2017 (as recycling crew). Those last few years I really enjoyed the cabaret, comedy, Avalon and Acoustic areas (as well as The Park) much more than the bigger stages and dance areas (all too crowded and I found it so hard moving around due to crowding). Out of personal interest, do people still enjoy these areas (cabaret, comedy etc) and hang out for random stuff there or is it very dj-centric and must-see-bands-on-my-list nowadays?
I’ve always been someone who tries to see as many bands as possible, I spend the most time at the park and Woodsies as they usually have the best bookings. Most of the electronic stuff passes me by, I found the crowds to be ridiculous at times this year, and personally working in a crowd management job, was the first time at Glastonbury I’ve actually started to worry that there could be a crush at times. Think they just got the Avril and Sugababes stages wrong, nothing more than that, it happens, just didn’t predict demand well, they need to try and clash these people a bit more to spread the crowd, but with the SEC stuff there clearly has been a demographic shift which is causing those problems. I really don’t think they put enough thought into some newer music in the day time so people put all their focus on the late night where IMO they are leading the way with risky, experimental and modern bookings. As for the cabaret stuff I always endeavour to go (I wanted to see Maisie Adam this year but it clashed), but never make it, even then it looked packed at times this year. They also shouldn’t have got rid of Williams Green because all the little indie bands were good. They also need to put some relevant acts on the pyramid during the day, at the moment, other than the last two it certainly seems they play it very safe, with a load of middle of the road pop, or nostalgia acts, put something that you know will drag a huge crowd over, Avril Lavigne could have 100% pulled a crowd over 3pm Friday.

Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Good shout.

Kneecap, despite being on at 11.30am, smashed it, by the way.

I wonder if them being that early is like when a football derby is the lunch time kick off? Don’t want it too rowdy do we? :lolol:

@jackalbion also told me they were good so I’m very gutted. Definitely need to get to Glastonbury at some point.

TALKING OF JACK
I

Quick shoutout to @Whitechapel for recommending Cassisdead to me, didn’t know what to expect but a superb show on Lonely hearts club.

Glad you eventually tagged the right person :love:

Glad I’m slowly converting NSC one person at a time to the church of castro saint

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have not been for 10 years now, but first went in 1998, had a gap, and then did 8 consecutively from 2004 until 2013. The first of the 8 I was running around seeing bands but changed my mindset after this and decided to sack one entire afternoon and evening off from bands and go visit the other areas, tents and fields and head to the late night areas early (back then they started closing these areas off once they were full and it was great). I felt I was missing out on a lot of what Glastonbury was about.

I saw all sorts of weird and wonderful caberet, circus, a wall of death, a few small bands/DJs plus big ones doing surprise shows, then headed into the late night areas. For 3 years they had this ongoing dystopian Japanese area which was a maze of little ramshackle bars and venues/cabaret which was great fun. Heaven was quite memorable as well, you went to the pearly gates, explained why you should get into heaven and then entered an amazing film set space again with numerous bars, areas and suprise DJ sets (Thom Yorke for example). you folowed a path through the area and ultimately tried to get into the VIP bar at Heaven..which we did. I ended up having absynth served by God in a cloud lined bar where people played harps. If I go again I will certainly adopt this strategy as it served me well.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have not been for 10 years now, but first went in 1998, had a gap, and then did 8 consecutively from 2004 until 2013. The first of the 8 I was running around seeing bands but changed my mindset after this and decided to sack one entire afternoon and evening off from bands and go visit the other areas, tents and fields and head to the late night areas early (back then they started closing these areas off once they were full and it was great). I felt I was missing out on a lot of what Glastonbury was about.

I saw all sorts of weird and wonderful caberet, circus, a wall of death, a few small bands/DJs plus big ones doing surprise shows, then headed into the late night areas. For 3 years they had this ongoing dystopian Japanese area which was a maze of little ramshackle bars and venues/cabaret which was great fun. Heaven was quite memorable as well, you went to the pearly gates, explained why you should get into heaven and then entered an amazing film set space again with numerous bars, areas and suprise DJ sets (Thom Yorke for example). you folowed a path through the area and ultimately tried to get into the VIP bar at Heaven..which we did. I ended up having absynth served by God in a cloud lined bar where people played harps. If I go again I will certainly adopt this strategy as it served me well.
Sure you weren’t just slumped behind a portaloo, tripping your mittens off?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm an old fart living constantly in the late 70's/early 80's music culture wise, but it must be said that Fat White Family nailed it big time ( from the safety of the iplayer ) :bowdown:

What a performer the lead singer is...Blimey
It pleases me that Glastonbury is introducing you to new music.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think everyone used to rush around to tick-off 'must-see' bands. Maybe it's a social media thing?

My first glastonbury was 2005, and i rushed around like a madman ticking bands off - nowadays (the festival just gone was my tenth) ill line up 2-3 bands a day, and otherwise wander about and stop when i see something i like the look or sound of. Lots of cabaret and circus, lots of southeast corner, lots and lots and lots of walking :p my highlights were LCD soundsystem, Nia archives and Skindred, honourable mention to LTJ Bukem who helped me avoid coldplay by being brilliant!

Still knackered, returned to worm today and i have no work ethic whatsover. I just want to doze on my sofa and watch the sets i didnt catch. Otoboke beaver looked like a lot of fun, and PJ Harvey was always going to be good, but at the time i fancied a bit of Danny Brown and he was great tbf

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here