Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury 2024

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
LCD Soundsystem are obviously one of the greatest bands of all time, not much more needs to be said. To hear All My Friends, with All My Friends with a beautiful sunset, incredible.
It’s not often I get properly jealous of anyone or anything but this is an exception. I have had some great moments with this song myself, but this would top them all.

As an aside, “But if you're worried about the weather, then you picked the wrong place to stay” has been a motto of mine for a long while. I wanted it painted on my apartment wall but wasn’t allowed 😀

One of James’ many genius lyrics.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did you have to make do with a sign from the garden centre saying “Live, Laugh, Love” ??? :smile:
Ha ha. Or those letters on the mantel piece which spell HOME.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
So far I’ve only got around to watching Shania Twain and Avril Lavigne, with Avril being far superior. For someone who has toured so extensively and for so long with such acclaim, Twain looked incredibly nervous all the way through and her singing wasn’t great. And sadly she butchered “Man, I Feel Like a Woman”, singing the contralto harmony in the chorus with the volume of the main melody line far too low in the mix. It just sounded a mess.

Also, without meaning to be too mean, when she got up and “danced” (using the term loosely) in her sparkly costume it was all a bit drunk Aunt at a wedding reception.

Hugely disappointing to be honest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So far I’ve only got around to watching Shania Twain and Avril Lavigne, with Avril being far superior. For someone who has toured so extensively and for so long with such acclaim, Twain looked incredibly nervous all the way through and her singing wasn’t great. And sadly she butchered “Man, I Feel Like a Woman”, singing the contralto harmony in the chorus with the volume of the main melody line far too low in the mix. It just sounded a mess.

Also, without meaning to be too mean, when she got up and “danced” (using the term loosely) in her sparkly costume it was all a bit drunk Aunt at a wedding reception.

I think you need to read up on her illness.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think you need to read up on her illness.
Oh trust me, I know all about Lyme disease - something which a number of Canadian artists including Avril Lavigne (and my Canadian partner and her half-sister) suffer from. I know how gruelling the treatments are and how bad Shania’s voice was wrecked and she had to relearn to sing. My issues were broader than just her voice.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

I would think twice about critiquing a performance at Glasto if I were you.

I made the mistake of mentioning the Chrissie Hynde looked a little less than 100% at last year's jolly and received a vicious c-bomb littered tirade from one offended poster.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I would think twice about critiquing a performance at Glasto if I were you.

I made the mistake of mentioning the Chrissie Hynde looked a little less than 100% at last year's jolly and received a vicious c-bomb littered tirade from one offended poster.
I’m a big boy, I can take care of myself, but thank you. It’s a game of opinions and I’m well-suited to defend mine having reviewed hundreds of theatre shows, bands, artists and comedians. If anyone becomes personal or becomes dickish giving their opinion - which is just as valid as mine - I just block them. Life’s too short.

But yeah, really disappointing. Watching Cyndi Lauper now and she’s far, far worse than Shania anyway. Just awful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh trust me, I know all about Lyme disease - something which a number of Canadian artists including Avril Lavigne (and my Canadian partner and her half-sister) suffer from. I know how gruelling the treatments are and how bad Shania’s voice was wrecked and she had to relearn to sing. My issues were broader than just her voice.
Having re-read my post, I did not mean it to come across the way it did. Sorry for that.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Having re-read my post, I did not mean it to come across the way it did. Sorry for that.
That’s alright, no offence taken. You just got unlucky that this is a topic very close to my heart. It’s particularly frustrating because of the Canadian hybrid healthcare system not recognising Lyme as they should, so our provide treatment for her is costing in the region of $3200 CAD a month, which is a large chunk of our income.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Mel C with Orbital, some fantastic old 'skool' dance moves.
Mel is absolutely lovely too and immensely talented, fantastic singer. I did my uni work experience when she was starring in Blood Brothers in the West End and she was extraordinarily nice and down to earth. Gave a cracking performance too.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I’m a big boy, I can take care of myself, but thank you. It’s a game of opinions and I’m well-suited to defend mine having reviewed hundreds of theatre shows, bands, artists and comedians. If anyone becomes personal or becomes dickish giving their opinion - which is just as valid as mine - I just block them. Life’s too short.

But yeah, really disappointing. Watching Cyndi Lauper now and she’s far, far worse than Shania anyway. Just awful.
Oh God wasn't she just. Really, really disappointing. I saw her in San Diego about eight or nine years ago and she was fantastic. I wasn't really a fan when I went but she totally converted me. That performance though ..... Ugh.

We were only watching on TV. Maybe it was better for the people actually there.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
LCD Soundsystem are obviously one of the greatest bands of all time, not much more needs to be said. To hear All My Friends, with All My Friends with a beautiful sunset, incredible.
It looked like the ultimate festival moment on the box to be fair (God bless the BBC and their commitment to broadcasting things like this in 4K HDR).

That run of Someone Great, Dance Yrself Clean and All My Friends was perfect. The unison between crowd and band for that final 2 minutes was otherworldly. Imagine actually being there for it. Never been more jealous of anything in my entire life.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It looked like the ultimate festival moment on the box to be fair (God bless the BBC and their commitment to broadcasting things like this in 4K HDR).

That run of Someone Great, Dance Yrself Clean and All My Friends was perfect. The unison between crowd and band for that final 2 minutes was otherworldly. Imagine actually being there for it. Never been more jealous of anything in my entire life.
Exactly this. They started brilliantly and just got better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here