Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury 2024

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Possibly the lowest audience I've ever seen for a headliner on the Pyramid Stage, disgusting really.
Why's it disgusting ?! There were other good acts on at the same time. I like sza but should she really have been a headliner at glasto, organisers called it wrong, streaming numbers from kids doesn't translate to seeing out the whole of glasto.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Quick question for people who got tickets (lucky so and so's and hope you had a blast).
Is the process for getting a ticket when ticket sales go live a bit like
getting Albion tickets (a combination of panic, fast keyboard skills, luck etc? Just interested for
next year. Ta.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Quick question for people who got tickets (lucky so and so's and hope you had a blast).
Is the process for getting a ticket when ticket sales go live a bit like
getting Albion tickets (a combination of panic, fast keyboard skills, luck etc? Just interested for
next year. Ta.
They’re all sold out for next year by now.

🤣

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Why's it disgusting ?! There were other good acts on at the same time. I like sza but should she really have been a headliner at glasto, organisers called it wrong, streaming numbers from kids doesn't translate to seeing out the whole of glasto.
Nailed it. SZA may be big with the urban Kids but that just isnt Glastos core demographic. I usually avoid the Pyramid because I prefer leftfield stuff but the line up overall on that stage was dreadful this year with the exception of 3 or 4 acts. They also seem to have gone for a strategy of hiring almost every DJ on the dance circuit for a small fee and couple of spare tickets to pad the line up overall and keep things lively till 7am with people spending loads more on booze as they stay up. I love Blok 9 and Shangri la so not complaining but there is a clear shift in programming strategy toward late night entertainment over live main day stuff over the last 10 years.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Well, that answers my question - ta Clampy. :)
Its mostly luck. You can increase chances by pooling with others who want to go and once someone gets in they get everyones ticket. One of the scams is that these syndicates have become very big and the ticket system lets you go back and forth adding as many tickets as needed so if you are trying solo its much harder. Another rumour is that you increase your chances by using a VPN and pretending you are up north as suspected South East locations are throttled to prevent London based crowd domination.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Disgusting that they put a headliner on who no-one wanted to see?
It just shows a lack of respect to a headline artist if less than a tenth of the audience who saw the previous nights headliners turned up. Anyhow judging by the many 5 star reviews I think it's they who missed out big time.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Its mostly luck. You can increase chances by pooling with others who want to go and once someone gets in they get everyones ticket. One of the scams is that these syndicates have become very big and the ticket system lets you go back and forth adding as many tickets as needed so if you are trying solo its much harder. Another rumour is that you increase your chances by using a VPN and pretending you are up north as suspected South East locations are throttled to prevent London based crowd domination.
Thanks Dibdab. Very interesting and useful.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Some really strange programming decisions this year, again.
Personally love someone like SZA getting such a big gig but it's so obviously going to cause problems for the rest of the site.
My feeling is the programmers are out of touch and probably in denial about the realities of their core demographic. They also seem to be enamoured by online and streaming hype over what people at the festival actually want.
Really they should have just made Sugababes the Sunday headliners. It was obvious from last year (or was it the year before?!) that they'd pack out any stage and, as expected, it was carnage on our stage for them.
But my other big takeaway is just how much music has changed. Who is there to actually headline such a big event?!

Jul 20, 2003
There’s quite a few;

Elton John
Paul Weller
Ozzy
Cliff
Clapton
Roger Daltrey
Lulu
Rod Stewart
Van Morrison
Robert Plant
Marianne Faithful
Phil Collins
Peter Gabriel

There’s tonnes in the UK alone. And if you go stateside it’s almost endless with your
Neil Diamonds and your Alice Coopers, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop etc

There’s thousands.

My ideal 'legend' choice.

Smokey Robinson. Ticks a LOT of boxes.

And, looking at this recent clip still got some serious pipes and even a few moves at the tender age of 83!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It just shows a lack of respect to a headline artist if less than a tenth of the audience who saw the previous nights headliners turned up. Anyhow judging by the many 5 star reviews I think it's they who missed out big time.
Hmmm her mic sounded like she was underwater for the first 20 mins. Horrendous. It was a bit of a mess but she finished strong. Woke media of course have given her 5 stars. I saw her at Hyde park on Saturday and she was a lot better then. Massive with the kids but unfortunately glasto is mainly for old white grandads like @Herr Tubthumper

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
SZA was interesting and I watched for a while. Big show set, heavy investment, loads of visuals, loads of dancers. Showing my age, each song sounded very, very similar to the previous song. Just different visuals. The dancers' moves were on repeat. Couldn't make out the lyrics until I realised the young girls (with their dads) and mates were all singing all the words so I could lip read. Never heard of SZA, but fair play, she put on a show for her market. The question seems to be is it a Glasto headliners market?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Well go for younger people then. The likes of Liam Gallagher would qualify at his vintage.

Paul Weller and Neil Diamond etc are more than capable too. Most are still touring and performing.
Just checked properly. Diamond is 83 and retired 6 years ago with Parkinsons. Possibly not so capable now...

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Some really strange programming decisions this year, again.
Personally love someone like SZA getting such a big gig but it's so obviously going to cause problems for the rest of the site.
My feeling is the programmers are out of touch and probably in denial about the realities of their core demographic. They also seem to be enamoured by online and streaming hype over what people at the festival actually want.
Really they should have just made Sugababes the Sunday headliners. It was obvious from last year (or was it the year before?!) that they'd pack out any stage and, as expected, it was carnage on our stage for them.
But my other big takeaway is just how much music has changed. Who is there to actually headline such a big event?!
It feels like they are trying to appeal to just about everybody (and, maybe, the BBC audience) and not making a good job of it. If you compare it to the Isle of Wight last weekend, that mix of acts seemed to work much better.

Of course, it makes no difference to the two core groups of people who Glastonbury attracts - those who just love the experience and go every year no matter who is playing and those who just want to be seen to be there.

No matter what your opinion is of Coldplay, having them there as headliners again does seem to demonstrate the lack of top acts who want to play there - especially when you see who else is playing their own stadium shows around the country this year across all musical genres.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I'm sure she got paid a shed load and is crying all the way to the bank !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here