Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Glasgow or McDonalds ?

Maccies or Glasgae ?

• McDonalds 24 hours OBVIOUSLY. Get those Big Mac meals down my GULLET

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Trip to GLASGAE. Catch up on my reading innit.

Votes: 40 46.5%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
1. The loser must spend an entire 24 hours sat in a McDonalds. But 1 hour is knocked off for every McDonalds meal they eat.

2. The loser must get a National Express coach from London to Glasgow. Upon arriving in Glasgow, no pubs or dinners - they must the get the VERY next coach straight back to London.

People are not reading the small print.

As I pointed out, National Express coaches stop en route to change drivers, so time to buy food.
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] the seats are quite roomy, with leg room. I travelled that way to see my son 2 years ago, as driving the distance on my own is too much nowadays.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I hate coach trips, especially when the Albion have lost.
Why is it 8:35 from Glasgow to London when it takes Seagull Travel that long back from Manchester some nights.
It'll be McDonalds for me but expect 10 hours at a table and 10 in the toilets after 4 meals after my last experience. Mind you, coaches have free WiFi now so book 5 seats and take up the back row.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Such a better class of clientele in McDonald's :lolol:

If you read again, I was objecting to tortuous coach journey being called a 'road trip', not actually comparing clienteles of National Express coaches and McDonalds.

But here's the thing... the rules state "a McDonalds", so I'd choose one in, say, affluent West London. Upstairs. Away from people. If someone came who I didn't like, I'd move. In fact, I'd be moving around anyway. And I'm not going to hear anyone. I have headphones.

Now compare with being trapped with the kind the people who'd get a coach from London to Glasgow!

Again, it's McDonalds, hands down.

(I mean, you could go to a European McDonalds and drink alcohol)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1. The loser must spend an entire 24 hours sat in a McDonalds. But 1 hour is knocked off for every McDonalds meal they eat.

2. The loser must get a National Express coach from London to Glasgow. Upon arriving in Glasgow, no pubs or dinners - they must the get the VERY next coach straight back to London.

People are not reading the small print.

This.

Clearly whoever came up with the coach trip punishment idea hadn't looked into the actual logistics of it, but getting there and having a 14-hour mince around Glasgow including a few beers etc was NOT part of the forfeit. Turning round and coming straight back again is supposed to be the main part of the punishment, otherwise it just turns into a nice wee trip. [edit] It doesn't have to be a National Express, any coach will do.

Having read the responses and considered it further, I'm still team COACH. I simply would not be able to eat enough of those grim squashed lukewarm grey patties in McDonalds to make a dent into that 24 hours. Then there's the horrible hard plastic seats, and a constant flow of dead-eyed gumbos flowing through to collect their dreck of a meal, along with their excitable shrieking offspring running round the place.

*shudder*

Nah. Give me a peaceful day/night on a coach with some reading material and podcasts over that, all day long (and night).

Interesting poll results so far - coach trip edging it 27 to 25. Close!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Maccy D’s all day long. You’ve got food, refreshments, a toilet, steady stream of people to watch/secretly laugh at. No contest.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If you read again, I was objecting to tortuous coach journey being called a 'road trip', not actually comparing clienteles of National Express coaches and McDonalds.

But here's the thing... the rules state "a McDonalds", so I'd choose one in, say, affluent West London. Upstairs. Away from people. If someone came who I didn't like, I'd move. In fact, I'd be moving around anyway. And I'm not going to hear anyone. I have headphones.

Now compare with being trapped with the kind the people who'd get a coach from London to Glasgow!

Again, it's McDonalds, hands down.

(I mean, you could go to a European McDonalds and drink alcohol)

I loath McDonalds but if I had to choose one , I certainly wouldn’t choose a branch in any part of London - even in the better parts of north and west London , you can get gangs suddenly descending .

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Too many factors in play but I'm still leaning towards Glasgow. If I had 14 hours to kill I'd just rent a car and drive out to Fort William/Mallaig and then get the overnight coach back however I've checked the Megabus timetable and that makes for grim reading.

Screenshot_20210415_110815_com.android.chrome_edit_1394200364451323.jpg

Screenshot_20210415_110830.jpg

I'd still probably do that though, unless Smaccie's did a 1 day only all day breakfast menu, then it'd be a tough choice.

It also depends on the loadings, if we're talking current passenger levels I'd do the coach trip all day long, if its a packed Megabus I'd do McDonalds. Too many bad memories of the Megabus to Manchester when I was in a long distance relationship.

Last edited:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Great, I hadn't even thought about or even missed not having a McDonalds for the last 18 months, now I really really want one!

:drool:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
[edit] It doesn't have to be a National Express, any coach will do.

Wait, Megabus? That changes everything. :clap:

I loath McDonalds but if I had to choose one , I certainly wouldn’t choose a branch in any part of London - even in the better parts of north and west London , you can get gangs suddenly descending .

I'm starting at 6.30 to maximise breakfast opportunties (obv), and out by the evening. No worries of late night trouble.

Anyway, does Heathrow have a McDs?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Attaboy [MENTION=28596]Madafwo[/MENTION]

THATS the kind of coach schedule the forfeit refers to. All the way up there, then 2 hours later all the way back.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The National Express forfeit would win it for me hands down. I enjoy coach travel and watching the landscape alongside the M1 and M6 pass by. I'd take a copy of War and Peace to read, so l'm sure that l'd manage.

When it comes to avoiding branches of McDonald's surely it's the Croydon one that you would most want to steer well clear of. Plenty of gangs there. :eek:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oiiiii we aren't all savages up in the frozen noth you know!

Although . . .

It does all seem a bit of a moot point.
Had it been Horsham I'd give it some thought, but an actual northern suburb of Horsham, no roads, no rail, no civilization, no chance.

I have no idea why posters are up for that, it's as if none of them have seen the film The Eagle.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Attaboy [MENTION=28596]Madafwo[/MENTION]

THATS the kind of coach schedule the forfeit refers to. All the way up there, then 2 hours later all the way back.

It's worse, I misread the first page, it's 1h15.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is the coach timetable screwed because of Covid like the trains are? Would there normally be more?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Maccy D’s all day long. You’ve got food, refreshments, a toilet, steady stream of people to watch/secretly laugh at. No contest.

Well you pretty much have that on the National Express option too. Take your own food or buy some at a stop enroute, there is a toilet on board, other people you can have a secret sneer at as the miles slip by.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It does all seem a bit of a moot point.
Had it been Horsham I'd give it some thought, but an actual northern suburb of Horsham, no roads, no rail, no civilization, no chance.

I have no idea why posters are up for that, it's as if none of them have seen the film The Eagle.

Well what is undoubtably true, is that the number of Palarse fans per capita of the population does increase the further north you come, there are ven a few who wear their red & blue monstrosity shirts here, and we're south of Horsham.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I hate McDonalds but I used to get a National Express from London to Newcastle as a student on a regular basis and that was pretty grim so I can't imagine having to go any FURTHER than that

so McDonalds it is....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here