Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glad England lost to Russia !!

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
sorry...can you run that one past me again?

ok, for me, this is the (tragic) logical progression. bear in mind wild generalisations.

born in working class background.

have relatively less access to good education.

rationality and logic suffers. unable to deal as effecively with confrontation.

when trouble hits more likely to shout/hit out/get worked up.

do you not agree?

plymouth nige

plymouth nige
Oct 21, 2003
plymouth
Whole different ethos for those that play rugby to those that play football - you watch 15/16 year olds playing rugby they all call the ref sir, and show him respect.
The same age group playing football all want to fight each other - and thats just the parents!

ok, for me, this is the (tragic) logical progression. bear in mind wild generalisations.

born in working class background.

have relatively less access to good education.

rationality and logic suffers. unable to deal as effecively with confrontation.

when trouble hits more likely to shout/hit out/get worked up.

do you not agree?

No I don't see how any of this relates to routing communication with the match official in any sport through the team captain. If that's what the rules say then you do it; if you don't you get penalised until you do - simple.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
do you not agree?

No, No I don't. I really don't !:nono:
The bottom line is you said it was a class thing and you are very very misguided if you stand by that statment.
Rugby like Football is a sport that can be enjoyed by anyone,kids & adults, Males and females and no matter what social class or what type of upbringing you've had !

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
No, No I don't. I really don't !:nono:
The bottom line is you said it was a class thing and you are very very misguided if you stand by that statment.
Rugby like Football is a sport that can be enjoyed by anyone,kids & adults, Males and females and no matter what social class or what type of upbringing you've had !

what?

of course both sports CAN be enjoyed by everyone. but the fact of the matter is, the average rugby crowd is of a 'higher' class than football.

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
No I don't see how any of this relates to routing communication with the match official in any sport through the team captain. If that's what the rules say then you do it; if you don't you get penalised until you do - simple.

quite. but it's the inclination i was getting at.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The Rugby world cup shows what football is missing. A players shoulder pops out, No problem, stick in back in and get him on the pitch. Was it a try? ask the Video ref, problems with discipline? Speak to the captain and get him to sort it out and give a 10 yard penalty. Fancy a pint at a club game? Sit and watch the game with one. None of this diving, over hyped, over paid, timewasting, being treated like a kid as a spectator bollocks. Remind me - Why do I go to the football again?

Some really really valid points there, and it's difficult to disagree with the sentiment.

Trouble is with Rugby, there isn't anywhere to go and watch it at a proffessional level locally. So that means a treck to London, Wycombe or Reading, and even then you are sitting in three quarter empty stadiums, because the game is not popular enough.

All the "Faux" rugby fans running around in their £49 replica England shirts, where will they be next week? Watching Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal again. Forget about Rugby till the next major international tournament then become "Dyed in the Wool" rugby fans again.

My local Rugby Club is Pulborough, they have a brand new club house, loads of teams, there is great enthusiasm for the club, but they struggle to find players. Plenty of people buy their car stickers, plenty go to the club house to watch England play, but few actually watch the Pulborough team.

I know Withdean is a rubbish stadium, but at least it's always over half full, and at least it's local, and at least I have some connection with the team, I've followed them for far longer than the "Prima Donna" attitude kicked in with football players.

Now, if they had that really popular version of Rugby down here, you know, Rugby League, then I might make the effort to go and watch it once in a while. That looks like loads of fun.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Now, if they had that really popular version of Rugby down here, you know, Rugby League, then I might make the effort to go and watch it once in a while. That looks like loads of fun.
We could do worse than attempt to entice a top rugby team to Falmer - either code.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Some really really valid points there, and it's difficult to disagree with the sentiment.

Trouble is with Rugby, there isn't anywhere to go and watch it at a professional level locally. So that means a trek to London, Wycombe or Reading, and even then you are sitting in three quarter empty stadiums, because the game is not popular enough.

All the "Faux" rugby fans running around in their £49 replica England shirts, where will they be next week? Watching Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal again. Forget about Rugby till the next major international tournament then become "Dyed in the Wool" rugby fans again.

My local Rugby Club is Pulborough, they have a brand new club house, loads of teams, there is great enthusiasm for the club, but they struggle to find players. Plenty of people buy their car stickers, plenty go to the club house to watch England play, but few actually watch the Pulborough team.

I know Withdean is a rubbish stadium, but at least it's always over half full, and at least it's local, and at least I have some connection with the team, I've followed them for far longer than the "Prima Donna" attitude kicked in with football players.

You should pop along to Roundstone lane and watch Worthing undoubtedly the best Sussex side and are playing at a fairly decent level too. I think if they can just get out of that retched London 1 into the National league we may just get our first semi pro rugby team in the county

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
I disagree. When did you last go to a rugby match ? Since Rugby went pro the social class of the crowd is no different to that of a football match

absolute nonsense. i've not been to many rugby matches, granted. i'm not much of a fan. but when i have been, the difference in class has been tangible.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
absolute nonsense. I've not been to many rugby matches, granted. I'm not much of a fan. but when i have been, the difference in class has been tangible.
I go fairly regularly and I don't see this gulf in class, all I see is rugby fans who like a beer and a bit of banter oh yeah just like football fans !
I think we'll have to agree to disagre,e because you have a very old fashioned view of Rugby. Maybe that is why Rugby remains footballs poor cousin, all these years of the "Old Farts Network" and now we are finding hard to shake off that unfair image !

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
My only experience of Rugby is watching London Irish. Honestly, I thought the fans were a bit dull, very quiet, but certainly no different class to football fans.

On the upside there, you get a live Irish Band playing under the stands, loads of Guinness, and OK, you can take your drink to your seat, but so what, I can normally manage a whole half without a drink, but at least the option is there.

The sad thing is that there is a wonderfull 25K stadium, with about 5000 in there. Such a shame so many of the current "plastic" England rugby fans can't get it together and go watch them or other teams in the Rugby Premier League after the World Cup.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
My only experience of Rugby is watching London Irish. Honestly, I thought the fans were a bit dull, very quiet, but certainly no different class to football fans.

On the upside there, you get a live Irish Band playing under the stands, loads of Guinness, and OK, you can take your drink to your seat, but so what, I can normally manage a whole half without a drink, but at least the option is there.

The sad thing is that there is a wonderfull 25K stadium, with about 5000 in there. Such a shame so many of the current "plastic" England rugby fans can't get it together and go watch them or other teams in the Rugby Premier League after the World Cup.
I go and watch the Quins as often as I can, Harlequins were well known for being the club for the posh toff city boy type .............but I can honestly say that isn't the case anymore, it is very family orientated and a good atmosphere

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The problem Rugby is the shape of the ball and there isnt any passion involved......although some of the northern rugby looks a bit better on that front. The other major problem is most people and other countries dont care. I just spoke to a mate in sweden and he said he didnt even know there was a rugby world cup.....this must be the same across the world.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
None of this diving, over hyped, over paid, timewasting, being treated like a kid as a spectator bollocks. Remind me - Why do I go to the football again?

No I have to take you to task there.

Its overpaid, overpampered, alice band wearing pansies formation diving.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
The problem Rugby is the shape of the ball and there isnt any passion involved......although some of the northern rugby looks a bit better on that front. The other major problem is most people and other countries dont care. I just spoke to a mate in sweden and he said he didnt even know there was a rugby world cup.....this must be the same across the world.

Somehow I manage not to call it a ball.

ball1 /bɔl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bawl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a spherical or approximately spherical body or shape; sphere: He rolled the piece of paper into a ball.

Sorry, but a rugby "ball" is not even approximatly spherical. Just another example of those public school toffs confusing us illiterate football fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here