Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Giving Wednesday evening a miss

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Didn’t know the test results told you where you got infected!
Could have caught it anywhere.

Possibly, but the most logical conclusion is that I would have caught it in the process of travelling to and attending either of those games. I barely left the house apart from that (I have been WFH). Also, I was pinged after the West Ham game so I was clearly in contact with a positive case during that trip (the app does state the date on which you were potentially exposed). I'm not one of the shouty people on either side of this debate - it is what it is, as GP might say.

seagullrich

Dec 16, 2010
I wasn’t going to go but let’s way it up and the risks. You are still more likely to fall down the stairs than get COVID from holding the handrail. Most of you won’t hold the handrail. I had a meeting in the northwest cancelled tomorrow - still more risk of having an accident in the way there than getting COVID in the meeting. So do everything you can to reduce the risk of getting COVID - ensure your double jabbed (plus booster), drive there if you can, don’t enter stadium until late, wear a mask, use hand gel, go straight to seat, don’t drink so you don’t need toilet, wait for rush to go at end. At the end of the day it is a balance of risk vs reward, for me the reward is the emotional energy I get from being in crowds that really recharges me (lockdown is hard for extroverts) and hopefully 3 points

I don't disagree with the sentiment but these numbers aren't right. You're not more likely to have an accident that catch COVID at a meeting - 60k+ people are not having accidents each day nor is 1 in a 1,000 journeys likely to result in an accident.

People are taking a decent size risk going to these events... although I agree it's a risk/reward/consequence weigh up that can be mitigated by being sensible.

Would be more encouraged to go if I could see everyone on here being prepared to take reasonable precautions - whether you agree with them or not.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Didn’t know the test results told you where you got infected!
Could have caught it anywhere.

Depending on your movements, it may be possible to take a pretty good guess.

In my case, based on a week of not doing much, it's almost certainly my son brought it home from school. If it wasn't that, then the only other likely possibility is I got it in the waiting room when getting my booster jab.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
And lose all that lovely money from beer and burgers? I can see a Barber essay heading your way when he learns of your (eminently sensible, logical and obvious) suggestion. :D

Not sure how that squares with Albion spending thousands and leading the way in terms of Covid spot checks ( compared to other clubs )since the start of the season at the expense of - presumably - many fans who decided to stay away as a result and thus not spend money on beer and burgers.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Really undecided at the moment. Missed the Leeds game feeling rough after flu jab. Will miss Brentford as that is just ridiculous to get to. I detest missing games but is it worth the risk of missing Christmas? Since this started, we haven't celebrated my parents Golden Anniversary, my MiL 80th, my mum's 70th, my 50th and last Christmas. Is it worth risking a small gathering this year to watch a scratch Albion play a defensive Wolves?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really undecided at the moment. Missed the Leeds game feeling rough after flu jab. Will miss Brentford as that is just ridiculous to get to. I detest missing games but is it worth the risk of missing Christmas? Since this started, we haven't celebrated my parents Golden Anniversary, my MiL 80th, my mum's 70th, my 50th and last Christmas. Is it worth risking a small gathering this year to watch a scratch Albion play a defensive Wolves?

That’s a lot of family milestones to miss.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I'll be going if it's on. Without wanting to take this down the Covid argument route (fair to say it may have been covered elsewhere!), this isn't going away anytime in the next ten years. There's going to be plenty of time we have to spend locked away coming up, I'm getting out while I can!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Still undecided.

Unfortunately my dad passed away (peacefully and expected) on Sunday night so Xmas with my mum and family this year will be a big deal.

I’m conflicted as need a sense of normality and time to myself with going to football but equally have to consider the chance of getting infected and ruining the Xmas that carries significance.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Wife and I are both jabbed and boosted. Kids are desperate to be there so we'll probably end up going, though if it was purely my decision I'd give it a swerve. Kind of hoping it gets called off.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That’s a lot of family milestones to miss.

At least we had an "81st and a month party for the MiL" and a meal for the 51st anniversary this year. But a nice family Christmas, even if it is just my side of the family, would be very nice this year. I seem to be talking myself out of tomorrow,

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
And lose all that lovely money from beer and burgers? I can see a Barber essay heading your way when he learns of your (eminently sensible, logical and obvious) suggestion. :D

On the other side of the coin, I can also see Barber concerned about the health of the numbers of staff required to enable this fixture to go ahead. Maybe a lot of those staff, whom I presume are part-time/casual, are giving this game a miss - for the very reasons that lots of fans are.

I know your post was a lighthearted dig but I reckon Paul Barber has a whole plate of shit to deal with other issues than worrying about sales of burgers and beer.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

Reading this it's very close to home - we've missed out on my Mum's 75th, in-laws Golden Anniversary, brother's 50th, two weddings etc etc. That said, I'm going Wednesday if it's on just because a collective decision was already made that the gathering of all the family won't happen now until after Christmas so this is still just in the window for being able to go before it feels like it might risk the gathering. I've got a ticket for Old Trafford too but that's pushing it a bit possibly if it even goes ahead.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Reading this it's very close to home - we've missed out on my Mum's 75th, in-laws Golden Anniversary, brother's 50th, two weddings etc etc. That said, I'm going Wednesday if it's on just because a collective decision was already made that the gathering of all the family won't happen now until after Christmas so this is still just in the window for being able to go before it feels like it might risk the gathering. I've got a ticket for Old Trafford too but that's pushing it a bit possibly if it even goes ahead.

I'm not trying to dissuade you nor anybody else from going, but as someone who has been through an infection recently, what it could mean if you did pick up an infection today is...

Today: 14/12
Testing positive: 17/12
Ten days of isolation: 18-27/12
Freedom day: 28/12

You could test positive later, which would push those dates on a bit.

As I say, I'm absolutely not trying to dissuade anyone from going, but be sure you know what the risk may be to any plans you have over Christmas.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not trying to dissuade you nor anybody else from going, but as someone who has been through an infection recently, what it could mean if you did pick up an infection today is...

As I say, I'm absolutely not trying to dissuade anyone from going, but be sure you know what the risk may be to any plans you have over Christmas.

Definitely what we were thinking at Chez Bold. We are very much in the get it and mess Christmas up window now. I've got a couple of things I'm thinking of cancelling as it would be a real blow to my kids, my sister's kids etc. if we weren't able to meet up over Xmas.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Depending on your movements, it may be possible to take a pretty good guess.

In my case, based on a week of not doing much, it's almost certainly my son brought it home from school. If it wasn't that, then the only other likely possibility is I got it in the waiting room when getting my booster jab.

Absolutely, you can narrow it down to your movements but to categorically state that’s where you got it from, you simply cannot because it could have been anywhere . You may as well say that if you attend Wednesday evening that you will catch covid, you just can’t be sure.
I am triple jabbed and will be attending using the precautions advised, life goes on.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

That's helpful, thank you.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Expect the amex to be 2/3 empty tomorrow night

amended for you...

For once I am of the opinion, I am glad it is on tv right now, why risk messing everything up for the family, ours is already messed up by not going to see family in America, last thing we need to be in isolation as well, that would really top off a really shite year....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here