Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

give the younger players a chance now

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
i can understand were u are coming from but surely you can see my point show that he want it get the crowd going with one bit of determined closing down

Maybe. Perhaps this is something that will be worked upon and he will be encouraged to do so. Most of the team show reluctance to close people down at the moment!

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
Not being funny, but where do you think most of our team has come from? we are brilliant at giving the youngsters a chance, if they are good enough then we play em but why rush more youngsters into our already young team?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Nice in theory but getting turned over doesn't exactly end the season on a good note and give positive feeling going into the summer and next season.

True but if they have been drip fed into the team over the next few games all will have a bit of experience and lets be honest a fair few of them are starters or already in the squad.

I can see where you are coming from but I just think it might throw up a few surprises. As long as the players are told it's just a chance to prove themselves rather than a game they must win it could be productive.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Are you writing him off after just 16 or so games, having joined a higher league mid-season with a 9 match March to contend with?

And lets not forget he's moved to the other end of the country as well which I guess can be quite a wrench in your personal life, I would imagine the fella is still going through a period of major adjustment in his life.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I'd say wait until after the Luton game until making any decisions on bringing in fringe players. We still have a very slight chance if Leeds and Walsall slip up in their games in hand, Leeds have to travel to Huddersfield after playing Carlisle this Saturday. Walsall have it slightly easier as they face Cheltenham away then Bristol Rovers at home. Tranmere have to play Forest on Saturday too.

If we can pick up a win at Luton and results go our way we could go into Hartlepool game just a point outside the playoffs in which case playing the fringe players would be silly. If we go into the Hartlepool game 10 points off a play off place then we know its over and we can give some other players a chance.

Someone pass me some straws.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Murray has probably played about half the amount of games Robinson has in his career

Robinson is not a striker anymore, must have play 130 games by now, and never been a goal scorer, has he got to 30 goals yet??

Dean Hammond had a better goals to game ratio than Robinson

when used as a striker, i would hazard a guess that gatting has a better goals to game ratio than robinson

he wont be a striker as he doesnt get on the scoresheet enough - what he can be though is a decent wide man, especially when he gets the ball and runs at people

as for people bleating on about the physical side of his game, last night he actually did show a physical side. he made one cracking tackle and even won a header against a bloke who had a good foot on him

the only problem with robinson seems to be consistency - he will come off the bench and change a game, like orient away, but then be given a start and be annonymous. dont think he his helped by the fact he is in and out of the team every week though and rarely gets a run of starts - scores at cheltenham, comes off when we are winning and then is dropped for the next game

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
as for people bleating on about the physical side of his game, last night he actually did show a physical side. he made one cracking tackle and even won a header against a bloke who had a good foot on him

However, him actually getting stuck in like that is a rarity and the fact he struggles so much with this side of the game and goes missing, will be the reason he does not really make it.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
when used as a striker, i would hazard a guess that gatting has a better goals to game ratio than robinson

he wont be a striker as he doesnt get on the scoresheet enough - what he can be though is a decent wide man, especially when he gets the ball and runs at people

the only problem with robinson seems to be consistency - he will come off the bench and change a game, like orient away, but then be given a start and be annonymous. dont think he his helped by the fact he is in and out of the team every week though and rarely gets a run of starts - scores at cheltenham, comes off when we are winning and then is dropped for the next game

He had one of his better games coming off the bench, and i was suprised to see him make that great challenge.

a lot of the time yesterday though I thought that he went too wide, meaning that people were not trying to pass to him. If he had been even 5 yards in off the touchline, he would have been a far better outlet to the team in tight situations in the middle of the park, mainly shocking passes to Racon which he had no chance of controlling

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There is, of course the small rule that a manager must put out what is considered his strongest side. There would be shit to pay, and Wilkins would have a lot of explaining to the Football League do if he made five or six changes - mainly for 'fringe' players - even on the back of couple of defeats.

Also Luton Town are not totally out of the the picture, relegation-wise, and Swansea may not yet be champions when we play them.

Personally, I prefer the 'a player must EARN his place' school of thought, rather than the 'let's see what happens' ideal.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
There is, of course the small rule that a manager must put out what is considered his strongest side. There would be shit to pay, and Wilkins would have a lot of explaining to the Football League do if he made five or six changes - mainly for 'fringe' players - even on the back of couple of defeats.

is that an actual rule then? i remember when we went to port vale when we were already promoted and the likes of will packham and david lee were given starts

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that Dean Wilkins would have full justification in making 3 or 4 changes after 2 poor performances, espec ially as it is has been said that the players being replaced like Murray, Raccon Kuipers Mayo although not the worse could well be in the spot light for poor performances in those games.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I would think that Dean Wilkins would have full justification in making 3 or 4 changes after 2 poor performances, espec ially as it is has been said that the players being replaced like Murray, Raccon Kuipers Mayo although not the worse could well be in the spot light for poor performances in those games.

Or the fact that we are not yet mathematically out of the play offs should mean on Saturday we go with our strongest team, not a selection of fringe players.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Or the fact that we are not yet mathematically out of the play offs should mean on Saturday we go with our strongest team, not a selection of fringe players.

Although not mathematically out but realistically out as there has to be too many other slip ups by other clubs for us to make it. I think that there is more chance of me coming on as a sub against Swansea than us getting to the playoff now.

I think that it will be:
Swansea Champs
Carlisle Runners Up
Doncaster, Forest, Southend and Leeds with some points back in the play offs, with Southend winning.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
However, him actually getting stuck in like that is a rarity and the fact he struggles so much with this side of the game and goes missing, will be the reason he does not really make it.

he is certainly good enough to make it talent wise, and he proved last night he could get stuck in though and cope more with the physical demands of the game. if he starts to do that more often then there is still a chance he could come good. the question is how long do you wait to see if he can do it with more consistency

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Although not mathematically out but realistically out as there has to be too many other slip ups by other clubs for us to make it. I think that there is more chance of me coming on as a sub against Swansea than us getting to the playoff now.

I think that it will be:
Swansea Champs
Carlisle Runners Up
Doncaster, Forest, Southend and Leeds with some points back in the play offs, with Southend winning.

So because we probably won't make it means we shouldn't bother trying and should give up?

Supposing, just supposing those slip-ups did happen...?

Jesus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here