Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GILLINGHAM memories

MtFloridaGull

Jan 29, 2008
Brings back fond memories of my motorbiking days alas not owned a bike for over 5 years now.

The first season I travelled up from Brighton on my Cagiva Elefant and got to park right next to the turnstile entrance had a season ticket and dogedly sat in my seat every game bar one, don't know why just did :shootself.

Second Season I was contracting in Henly on Thames (living in a caravan by the River) so would travel either by my new Triumph Sprint or the Cagiva or later my imported Honda CRX (only sports car I ever owned). Used to go and stay at my Mum and Dads just down the road in Sittingbourne after the game and meet up with mates from secondary school most of whom where Gills fans.

Don't remember much detail about the games except the draw on Boxing day when we were 3-0 down at half time and came back to draw 4-4 I think, and the second season when we beat Peterborough when I took my new girlfriend and we stopped on the way home to discuss the finer points of the offside rule :censored:, christ the CRX was small!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
john breckin and ronnie moore taking me into the away team changing room to meet the illustrious rotherham side of 97/98 before a fine 2-1 win for the millers

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
why do you now supprt the albion?

i supported the albion then - rotherham are my second team, which they found bizarre and took pity on me, and as such invited me in to meet the players

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Yellow card. Extremely poor use of the word "flair"

hardly ANY football grounds sell chicken nuggets, or at least did in 1990s - that is why it was FLAIR

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
"DOGPOO ALLEY" has become a bit of an enduring family catchphrase, and is a direct legacy of our trips to the Priestfield as well as an entirely accurate description of our regular route to the ground.

Plus that no-doubt well-intentioned poster with Richie Barker's name and a picture of a donkey on it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That first game (?) against Macclesfield and they had a rather large lumbering centre-back who had a gangsta-stylee stocking/bandana thingy on his head.

Oh...and first game at Gillingham thinking what a shit-hole....thanks Archer. Thanks a lot.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
5-1 defeat at hands of Millwall in the Auto Windcreens Shield on a Tuesday!

Went on my own as I 'fancied' it and nobody else did.

:thud:

Yep, went to that one too....for some reason!

Was 'bus mascot' when we 'entertained' Cambridge United and lost 3-0 (or possibly 3-1). The ref said "let's do battle" as the players game out onto the pitch.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
i have some fond memories of gillingham ... i would've been 14-16 and those are formative years for any footbal fan, you start to realise what it's all about - then withdean took most of that away, great to be back in brighton but i enjoyed it under that shed at the rainham end.

key games i remember are losing 1.0 at home to halifax town but absolutely hammering them, plus building a good side - culverhouse, barker, thomas, arnott - went to a few away games that season when i think we won 5 or 6 on the trot.

i remember paying 2 quid to get in!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Watching only fools and horses every time we went on the junior seagulls bus. :angry:

Talking to Richie Barker during the warm ups before most games up there

Someone being told on the tannoy that he had to go home as his wife was in labour

Being evacuated onto the pitch when the main stand's fire alarm went off

The people that stood on the concrete surrounds by the support posts

Being surprised when Smith shaved off his locks!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here