Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gigs that make you go DEAF

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Which gig has left you the deafest?

I saw The House Of Love last night. They played in a small, tight venue and it was LOUD. Ever since I've been subjected to a multitude of whistles at varying pitches rattling round my ears.

It hasn't been this bad since Asian Dub Foundation battered me senseless with their pulsating dub rhythms.

Somebody make it stop, I don't like it. :(

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Strung Out at Highbury Garage was bloody loud, although AFI at The Underworld, Camden probably wins.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not really a gig by when Dillinja and Lemon D toured their Valve Sound System I had ringing ears for days, literally days. You were meant to wear ear plugs but I took too many drugs and neglected to.

It was loud.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Many years ago when I put bands on at a pub in South London the Thompson Twins wanted to do a secret gig there. They wanted to test out their new 3k rig (i.e. very large sound system).

I turned up at the soundcheck and Tom thingy gingerly plucked one string of his bass. It was like standing next to twenty lions all roaring at once, and the vibrations knocked a couple of glasses and an ashtray off the tables! Everyone ran for cover.

The show itself was ludicrously loud, the police came of course, and half the crowd ended up listening to the show about fifty yards away in the council estate over the road where the sound was still pretty loud!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Last time I saw House of Love was in 1991. But even out in a festival field they played the ending of 'Love in a Car' at length and increasingly loudly, until your ears rang.

Still one of the best live songs I've ever heard...

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Anything that needs this many speakers cannot be good....

KEVIN004.jpg

Edit, that's one wall of 3.

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Willow said:
Which gig has left you the deafest?

I saw The House Of Love last night. They played in a small, tight venue and it was LOUD. Ever since I've been subjected to a multitude of whistles at varying pitches rattling round my ears.

It hasn't been this bad since Asian Dub Foundation battered me senseless with their pulsating dub rhythms.

Somebody make it stop, I don't like it. :(

What as in Guy Chadwick's house of love ?

I remember seeing Skitz and Rodney P at the concorde once and it was so loud the bass made me puke !!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Titanic said:
I still haven't recovered from taking my son and his mate to Velvet Revolver at Hammersmith :eek:

And as if it wasn't loud enough already, the lead singer decided it was a good idea to scream into a bullhorn and shove his mike in the other end :eek: :eek:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
After I saw my bloody valentine at brixton and they did a 10 minute drum solo that ripped my ears apart. They were ringing for almost a week after. I seriously thought I'd have the ringing in my ears forever.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
tinx said:
After I saw my bloody valentine at brixton and they did a 10 minute drum solo that ripped my ears apart. They were ringing for almost a week after. I seriously thought I'd have the ringing in my ears forever.

ahh my bloody valentine, I had a little boo when I saw them at reading a few years ago, they were with out doubt the best indie/punk band of the 90's

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Re: Re: Gigs that make you go DEAF

REDLAND said:
What as in Guy Chadwick's house of love ?

Yes, that's them. They've reformed and brought Terry Bickers back in. It's a shame Terry & Guy fell out with each other afer the first album because they could have made it big, I reckon.

Quite scary to see how middle aged they look now. :eek:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
REDLAND said:
ahh my bloody valentine, I had a little boo when I saw them at reading a few years ago, they were with out doubt the best indie/punk band of the 90's

Indeed loveless is one of my favorite albums from my yoof.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was right at the front and to the right of the stage for Neil Young in Finsbury Park in 93. Standing sideways on to see NY, my right ear was close to the wall of amps and it rang for days afterwards. I still get a ringing in that ear sometimes and think it might be connected.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
The Valve Soundsystem up at Brighton Racecourse for Dusk Till Dawn a few years back. That was HEAVY.

And Public Enemy at the Concorde a few years back.

Ride at the Top Rank Suite. That place always had dodgy acoustics (and dodgy stage-set-up as well, as I saw when the Buzzcocks turned into a riot with speaker stacks dropping from the balcony, or Genesis banned after using magnesium flares under that low ceiling)
Ride were a wall of obnoxious noise, and you couldn't really make out one song from another (same as their album 'Nowhere' released at the time)

I have seen loads of loud gigs though, like Sabbath at The Dome - and some people were right next to the speakers for that!
Budgie were surprisingly loud considering they had little equipment, just a couple of portable-types onstage, and little else.

Jul 20, 2003
LIft to Experience at the Pavillion Theatre a couple of years ago was a definite ear bleeder - and exceptionally good

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Never heard anything louder in a small enclosed space than Leftfield on the Leftism tour. People were actually running away from the front of the stage at The Event it was that loud. Like the QEII blasting its horn coming into port or something. First and only time I've felt me internal organs vibrate at a gig. A couple of weeks later they played Brixton Academy and were given a permanent ban after the volume was found to be causing plaster to shake loose from the ceiling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here